installed avast, question on its scans and potential threats

jeff5347

Reaction score
Ok so i DL avast as i was reading its better than lookout. I went thru the setup and all fine. WOke up this morning and it said i have potential threats.

1. /mn/sdcard/my_documents/passwords.doc Avast stated "unknown error occured"

2. /mnt/sdcard/app_manager/app_back_ups/user_apps/com.z4mod.z4rootapk Stated Exploit deleted - ELF:Ratc-A [Expl]

3. /mnt/sdcard/zips,apks/z4root 1.3.0apk stated Exploit detected - ELF:Ratc - A [Expl]

The password one is a document i have for all my passwords and zips,apks is where i started to store all apks i have installed on the phone not DL'd from the play store

What im wondering is i dont think i should take action because z4 is what gave me root. Is avast being to cautious and has anyone ran into this and set up avast different

hecksagon

Reaction score
Well I am willing to bet that anything that was removed from the market is on Avast's watch list. It prolly has key words that it looks for in file names as well. That's why it flagged your passwords.doc. Z4root can be seen as a problem from a security standpoint since it allows root access. Without root access, malware on android is fairly harmless. Once root is available, all it takes is a careless click of allow and the app that asked for root privileges can play with any file on your phone without worrying about those android permissions you see when you have to click accept & download in the market. Honestly though, all of the antivirus programs on market are useless since they don't ask for root privileges themselves. They can't see anything that's going on in your internal storage or monitor your network activity. They can't scan the code of running processes that are in memory. All they can see is what apps you have installed, what apps are running, and your sd cards contents. They are limited to the android permissions you agree to when you download it from the market.