Innovation vs Public Safety

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2 & Galaxy S7
And obviously judging by the lack of "likes" I've received, I am in the minority here and my opinions are against the grain, but that's OK. I don't mind being the odd man out. I have plenty of room to take a few across the chin given my rankings.

OP
pc747

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score
  • And obviously judging by the lack of "likes" I've received, I am in the minority here and my opinions are against the grain, but that's OK. I don't mind being the odd man out. I have plenty of room to take a few across the chin given my rankings.
Naw, it is ok to have an educated opinion. We grow as a society when people are willing to respectfully disagree and are able to share their opinions in an educated and calm way. We can learn and even find possibilities for either a middle ground or a solution that is overall helpful for the whole.

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Naw, it is ok to have an educated opinion. We grow as a society when people are willing to respectfully disagree and are able to share their opinions in an educated and calm way. We can learn and even find possibilities for either a middle ground or a solution that is overall helpful for the whole.

Well that's exactly what a forum is supposed to be and that's what makes this forum unique in a plethora of other forms where opinions that go against the grain are often treated with ridicule or disrespect at best, and sometimes outright bashing at worst.

I truly respect your opinion given you have a very personal and professional connection to all this. As someone who is not behind the yoke like you, I could never fully understand your perspective until perhaps after having logged as many hours as you, or at least soloed.

Last edited:

94lt1

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2
Have any of you ever messed with the high dollar parrot drones?? You can practically automate them... You set the ceiling and map around any obstacles.. And set the drone to return via way points that you can pick on the screen... I see this as amazons way of piloting.. The drones will be programmed to fly within tolerances and if anything should happen.. Then it will just follow the predefined parameters that it's been told to follow..

They will probably be given corridors that their drones have to stay within.. And that will more than likely be written into their mapping.. Select corridor 1 to section C at sub point 23.75445..drop and return.. (for example) I'd also bet that they have very strict altitude guides they'll have to follow..

But I see this as an issue.. Too many people rip off Amazon by saying their package wasn't received.. So they get it again for free.. Amazon will start to pass this cost on. And probably restrict delivery via drone to customers with a no or low package replacement rate

Last edited:

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Have any of you ever messed with the high dollar parrot drones?? You can practically automate them... You set the ceiling and map around any obstacles.. And set the drone to return via way points that you can pick on the screen... I see this as amazons way of piloting.. The drones will be programmed to fly within tolerances and if anything should happen.. Then it will just follow the predefined parameters that it's been told to follow..

They will probably be given corridors that their drones have to stay within.. And that will more than likely be written into their mapping.. Select corridor 1 to section C at sub point 23.75445..drop and return.. (for example) I'd also bet that they have very strict altitude guides they'll have to follow..

But I see this as an issue.. Too many people rip off Amazon by saying their package wasn't received.. So they get it again for free.. Amazon will start to pass this cost on. And probably restrict delivery via drone to customers with a no or low package replacement rate

This is exactly what I was saying. WHY sir, can you say it so eloquently? :rolleyes:

Adding the replacement issues, since the drone has a camera on board, it will have video of the package being received if picked up by someone, thereby removing the idea that it wasn't received. Perhaps it would require the recipient to actually come out and take the package from the drone or it will not drop and release. This would virtually eliminate false claims of non-delivery. Just the cost savings alone of not having to send out additional replacements, postage and all could essentiallly pay for the entire drone program.

OP
pc747

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score
OnePlus says that its new product is a drone called the DR-1 9to5Google

^ Looks like we are not done with this topic as it looks like One Plus may want to get in on the mix. But we will have to see if it ends up being a toy sized or if they are gambling on the larger ones. Let's not forget that it is the US with such strict drone laws where they are a little laxed elsewhere.

SquireSCA

Silver Member
Reaction score
Drone deliveries are a stupid and bad idea... Wait till one of them falls and causes a traffic accident. This isn't a plane that can glide with some sort of control. It's like a helicopter, when there is a problem, it just falls out of the sky wherever it happens to be...

Just get off your fat A$$ and go to Best Buy or wait for the UPS truck. There is nothing that you need on Amazon so badly that you need a robot to fly to your home with it...

OP
pc747

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Drone deliveries are a stupid and bad idea... Wait till one of them falls and causes a traffic accident. This isn't a plane that can glide with some sort of control. It's like a helicopter, when there is a problem, it just falls out of the sky wherever it happens to be...

Just get off your fat A$$ and go to Best Buy or wait for the UPS truck. There is nothing that you need on Amazon so badly that you need a robot to fly to your home with it...

I agree with you 100%.

But the reality is that companies have gotten rich off our laziness.....convenience and drone services are the next step to that.

As much as I would want to restrict this service for the elderly or disabled the market says the service should (and will) be free to anyone who are able to pay the cost of doing business. Companies are not stupid they will past the cost on to the customers. So those wanting drone service may see their $20 item costing an extra $40 (cost to operate the drone, government fees,etc) to get it now.

cr6

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.dronewolfmedia.com
Current Phone Model
Galaxy S7 Edge
Twitter
@dronewolfmedia
I think it's pretty cool, and I'm sure they have taken into account flying these in heavily populated areas.
The majority of the companies interested in this new tech are companies who are interested in photography, like the film industry, surveying, farmers, etc. It's not like there will be 500 companies right off the bat delivering groceries and auto parts to customers via drone delivery. Those companies that will, (Amazon for example) have been testing this technology for years and have spent countless dollars in an attempt to make this as safe as possible.

I understand the concern though. Because it's a new technology, it's going to scare some people into literally thinking "the sky is falling". This nation has become so accustomed to living in this perfect risk free bubble because we want nobody to get hurt crossing the street, or tying your shoes. We've been conditioned over the past few decades that our government has babysit us by putting a warning label on every single thing you own.
The fact is, you either grow and embrace new technology, and have it work FOR you, or you get left behind. That, or have the Chinese do it first at half the cost and let them take all the credit.
I say bring it on! I can't wait to have my next pizza delivered by drone.

S5 tap'n

SquireSCA

Silver Member
Reaction score
It isn't about fear. I just think that it is stupid, and lazy. There is no need for it.

I like new tech as much as anyone, but at some point, is waiting for the UPS or Fed Ex really an issue? if it is, why not just go down the street to Kroger or Auto Zone and get what you need?

Do we need even more things to make it so that people never have to leave their homes?

It's a novelty at best.

The other applications that you listed are fine, but I still wonder that at some point, with all of these drones flying around, that it won't cause some problems.

As it is right now, you could take an $800 drone, pack it with half a pound of C4 or even black powder and some ball bearings and send it right into a window of the White House. This stuff has some potentially scary and dangerous applications. Once people are used to seeing drones everywhere, how can you tell one from the other?

I see a massive potential for abuse here...

cr6

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.dronewolfmedia.com
Current Phone Model
Galaxy S7 Edge
Twitter
@dronewolfmedia
People said the EXACT same thing about the automobile, airplanes, boats, and even smartphones.

Obviously it IS about fear if you're bringing C4 into the equation. Your whole argument contradicts itself, so there's really no point in having a healthy discussion on the topic. It's not your fault like I said, people have been conditioned to think and believe the absolute worst about ANYTHING new or different. Sure, we don't NEED it. But we also "don't need" 95% of the crap we own. I could die driving to work tomorrow.... does that mean everyone should stop driving because of what MIGHT happen. Sorry, that's but that's not type of world I want to live in.

S5 tap'n

mountainbikermark

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
It isn't about fear. I just think that it is stupid, and lazy. There is no need for it.

I like new tech as much as anyone, but at some point, is waiting for the UPS or Fed Ex really an issue? if it is, why not just go down the street to Kroger or Auto Zone and get what you need?

Do we need even more things to make it so that people never have to leave their homes?

It's a novelty at best.

The other applications that you listed are fine, but I still wonder that at some point, with all of these drones flying around, that it won't cause some problems.

As it is right now, you could take an $800 drone, pack it with half a pound of C4 or even black powder and some ball bearings and send it right into a window of the White House. This stuff has some potentially scary and dangerous applications. Once people are used to seeing drones everywhere, how can you tell one from the other?

I see a massive potential for abuse here...
While I may agree with the lazy and spoiled Americans part of your post, the rest only proved the fear mongering. Besides, have you been near the white house since 911? There's a no fly zone for miles around it and missile batteries and rail guns in the roof for making sure nobody breaks it without consequences. A few years back some numbskull in a small private plane wanted photos and an F16 beside him was what swayed his decision to use a longer lens instead of closer view . And that was miles out. And the glass in the white house is fortified to stop an rpg rocket now as well.
If you want to talk about a drone crashing into a train car loaded with toxic chemicals near a school yard, that's a totally different subject that is much more possible but again, that's fear mongering. No matter what we take away from mankind, or never implement, we will figure out ways to kill our fellow mankind as many at a time as possible.
I still fall back to why I'm against them in that you won't see former air force trained personnel controlling them but instead some cat from a temp service trying to make rent.

Support Our Troops !!!
<><
Beast Mode 4

SquireSCA

Silver Member
Reaction score
While I may agree with the lazy and spoiled Americans part of your post, the rest only proved the fear mongering. Besides, have you been near the white house since 911? There's a no fly zone for miles around it and missile batteries and rail guns in the roof for making sure nobody breaks it without consequences. A few years back some numbskull in a small private plane wanted photos and an F16 beside him was what swayed his decision to use a longer lens instead of closer view . And that was miles out. And the glass in the white house is fortified to stop an rpg rocket now as well.
If you want to talk about a drone crashing into a train car loaded with toxic chemicals near a school yard, that's a totally different subject that is much more possible but again, that's fear mongering. No matter what we take away from mankind, or never implement, we will figure out ways to kill our fellow mankind as many at a time as possible.
I still fall back to why I'm against them in that you won't see former air force trained personnel controlling them but instead some cat from a temp service trying to make rent.

Support Our Troops !!!
<><
Beast Mode 4

First, with the current resident in the White House, I wouldn't care if they did hit it, so lets just get that out of the way.

I think that having a tons of drones with limited battery life, birds, and whatever else is flying around, is just a dumb idea.

I actually like looking up and seeing nice blue skies, not tons of drones buzzing around delivering pizzas and whatever else my fat neighbor is too lazy to get off his couch and go to the store...

I guess that when you already have UPS, USPS, Fed-Ex and couriers... I just don't see the point... Drones don't have long battery life.... Unless they are down the street, a decent trip is gonna need a larger drone with a heavier battery, plus the package. If they are down the street, then why do I need a drone to deliver it?

So now we will have a bunch of things that weigh several pounds total, buzzing around... Some will crash, some will cause an accident, someone will get clocked in the head and there will be lawsuits... And for what? What is the gain?

Say what you want, it is still a dumb idea.

I used the White House as an example... The much more likely malicious use will be to arm one and fly it into a playground, or a concert or sporting event... You can program it with GPS coordinates so that the flight plan is automated and then put black electrical tape over the red LED's and send it into a power plant or other place when it is dark... Nobody is gonna see the thing coming....

Just because I point out the likely abuses of something, doesn't mean I am in my bunker ready to shoot them down.

I think the idea is lame to begin with, stupid, and I simply acknowledge that once people are desensitized to them flying around all the time, they will be used for some less than savory things...

EyeOWA

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Note 8
forget the drones, our society is already moving towards the Idiocracy/Wall-E cart riders lifestyle.