Incredible 2 vs Thunderbolt for a non-power user

jackson495

Reaction score
Hi everyone -

New to the forums and new to Android. Been reading a ton of great advice on the boards and wanted to propose a question I'd imagine others have as well. I'm upgrading to my first smartphone. I find the iPhone boring and have heard good things about HTC. So I'm considering either the Incredible 2 or the Thunderbolt.

I plan to use my phone primarily as a phone. Texting, calendar, some e-mail, very basic functions will be 90% of the usage. Occasional use of web browser, navigation, YouTube, etc. No plans to do any super heavy bandwidth activities like stream full movies.

So...Dinc2 or TB? I know the TB's big plus is LTE but that battery life sounds like a dealbreaker. If I'm not putting a big load on web/data, is there any reason to go LTE over 3g? The Dinc2 is cheaper and smaller (EDIT: just meant to add these are important factors, esp. size) and if its 3g performance is good I'd rather wait another year or two and upgrade to the latest LTE model.

What would you choose? Thanks for reading and thanks for the great forums.

j.

Last edited:

hookbill

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone -

New to the forums and new to Android. Been reading a ton of great advice on the boards and wanted to propose a question I'd imagine others have as well. I'm upgrading to my first smartphone. I find the iPhone boring and have heard good things about HTC. So I'm considering either the Incredible 2 or the Thunderbolt.

I plan to use my phone primarily as a phone. Texting, calendar, some e-mail, very basic functions will be 90% of the usage. Occasional use of web browser, navigation, YouTube, etc. No plans to do any super heavy bandwidth activities like stream full movies.

So...Dinc2 or TB? I know the TB's big plus is LTE but that battery life sounds like a dealbreaker. If I'm not putting a big load on web/data, is there any reason to go LTE over 3g? The Dinc2 is cheaper and smaller (EDIT: just meant to add these are important factors, esp. size) and if its 3g performance is good I'd rather wait another year or two and upgrade to the latest LTE model.

j.

Well, If you like HTC stuff I'd say wait for the Inc 2. For me 3G is fine, my next phone will probably be 3G as well.

Any smart phone you get you will be disappointed by the battery life. I don't have the TB but I understand that if you keep it off 4G and use 3G it's better. But what's the point of having a smart phone if you can't use it with all it's abilities?

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score
I would go recommend thunderbolt for two reasons. One thunderbolt allow talk and data and you can use 4g. Even if you don't have 4 g now it is better to have that feature since you will be stuck for 2 year contract. Yes the battery life is.an issue but with the extended battery its a non issue. But if you gonna be stuck with a device.for.2 years at least be.able.to.use 4g.

sent from droidforums app

iGrizz

Reaction score
I looked at the Incredible 2 when i got my Bolt today. Good phone but the Thunderbolt is much faster on 3G and really fast on 4G. I just text, make phone calls and browse the internet along with playing games. It can do much more and so can the Incredible. Just go in there and play with both and see what you like.

Sent from my Thunderbolt!

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Hi everyone -

j.

Well, If you like HTC stuff I'd say wait for the Inc 2. For me 3G is fine, my next phone will probably be 3G as well.

Any smart phone you get you will be disappointed by the battery life. I don't have the TB but I understand that if you keep it off 4G and use 3G it's better. But what's the point of having a smart phone if you can't use it with all it's abilities?

Yes companies are still learning the new technology of LTE but to get a 3g smartphone and pay high end money at this point is pointless. Yes 3g is fast but I use 3 g on my tbolt mainly. But the difference is with the tbolt I can use LTE if I want. At this point I think its best to upgrade to a.4g capable phone now or wait until next year. I see it as if you going to.be stuck for 2 yrs get a device that can use LTE technology or you will be regretting it.

sent from droidforums app

eagle923

Reaction score
The other route you could go is buy a clean ESN phone (Incredible 1 or Mot Droid 1 would be dead cheap on Craigslist or eBay) and you could just add the data plan. That way wouldn't lock you into a new contract and you'd be free to see how the 4g road pans out.

I bought my wife a Droid Inc for $130 from someone local and she loves it. Plus, the 1st and 2nd generation phones are still VERY impressive.

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score
The other route you could go is buy a clean ESN phone (Incredible 1 or Mot Droid 1 would be dead cheap on Craigslist or eBay) and you could just add the data plan. That way wouldn't lock you into a new contract and you'd be free to see how the 4g road pans out.

I bought my wife a Droid Inc for $130 from someone local and she loves it. Plus, the 1st and 2nd generation phones are still VERY impressive.

Good idea....If you are not sold on what is out this year get a device off ebay, ie droid x, inc, d2, ...etc.

CsonkaBear

Reaction score

Great advice. I tried Thunderbolt and found it bulky/heavy and a battery vampire.

Bought Incredible 2 today and I absolutely love it. It's perfect for me.

iGrizz

Reaction score
Good choice. I prefer the my phones a little bigger. Incredible 2 felt too thin, but it is still a great phone.

Raiden sent this...

kjjb0204

Reaction score
Hate to bring it up, but you might want to look at a blackberry. If phone is primary, there's nothing better than a bb. Dedicated call and end keys just make it a more phone-like experience. Messaging is also top notch. Browsing kind of stinks, but suitable for most major sites with mobile versions. Youtube works fine. Nav would cost extra.

I love my droid pro and android, but if you're open to finding the best device out there for you, might as well throw a bb in the first round.

Sent from my DROID PRO using Tapatalk

turdbogls

Reaction score
Hate to bring it up, but you might want to look at a blackberry. If phone is primary, there's nothing better than a bb. Dedicated call and end keys just make it a more phone-like experience. Messaging is also top notch. Browsing kind of stinks, but suitable for most major sites with mobile versions. Youtube works fine. Nav would cost extra.

I love my droid pro and android, but if you're open to finding the best device out there for you, might as well throw a bb in the first round.

Sent from my DROID PRO using Tapatalk

GTFO trader....lol j/p :)

both are great, IMO the inc 2 is too small (i have a DX) and plain looking (just very dark, i dont like it for some reason) the TB is too big, but it is nice looking.

i think either way you are going to be happy with either phone. they are both great.

Duckhunter75

Reaction score
I've had the Thunderbolt for three days and it is just a bit too big to use with one hand. I can't reach up and hit the power button and then get back down to the keys at the bottom without adjusting and trying not to drop it.

Other than that - a superb phone. Going to head over to Verizon tonight and hold the Incredible 2.

I don't have 4G in my area and mostly use wifi at home. So I'm really only comparing screen size / weight.

crspyjohn

Reaction score
I've had the Thunderbolt for three days and it is just a bit too big to use with one hand. I can't reach up and hit the power button and then get back down to the keys at the bottom without adjusting and trying not to drop it.

Other than that - a superb phone. Going to head over to Verizon tonight and hold the Incredible 2.

I don't have 4G in my area and mostly use wifi at home. So I'm really only comparing screen size / weight.

I had a thunderbolt as well but it had too many issues. I got my incredible 2 and so far I love it, just wish it had 4g. It's a pretty good phone especially if you like the first incredible. Just waiting for skyraider to release a rom for it!

info4tim

Reaction score
By far the Inc 2. No 4g anytime soon n bolt is just too big!

Sent from my ADR6350 using DroidForums

Jeyman

Reaction score
First off, look to see if 4g is in your area(or coming soon)

next if 4g is not there, are you willing to root your phone, if so the TB is still in your ball park. If not throw the TB away and hit up a older phone or get the Droid inc 2.

Guys really dont point people to BB, the phones just are no longer up to par unless you are using it for work. You may think you want it for basic stuff, but once you have a Android phone, Iphone, or Windows 7 phone you will never look back.

fact stands you may think you dont want what a true smartphone can do, but once you get your hands on it you will likely change your mind and use the apps.

BB is a very good step for the older generation who might be scared of no keyboard, or just wont at all understand how to use a smartphone. It adds some apps, a keyboard(not talking about the storm lol) and a somewhat old style feel.