Incredible 2 or droid 3? which to buy

Blown03

Reaction score
Just looking for honest opinions here. This is my first droid, I'll be upgrading from an env touch which I love, simple and it works.

I've gone to store and played w/ incredible 2, I really love it alot. Screen is amazing, 3g is plenty fast, touch feels great also. I do live in a 4g market (Pittsburgh) but it's not that important to me. 3g seems fine and I'm around wifi enough so that's always a good alternative. Thunderbolt 4g definitely cooks, but I'd rather have better battery life then faster internet.

I've seen the pentile screen on other moto phones, although HTC is far better I think, not a deal breaker for me, as either phone is an upgrade from my current env touch.

Dual core doesn't seem super important either as the added ram in the incredible seems to keep up just fine.

Only big decision for me is going 100% touch screen, I do use my keyboard on the env quite a bit, hense wanting the droid 3 keyboard option.

Although cost isn't a huge concern, the incredible is quite a bit cheaper on wirefly for my upgrade. I'm a 2nd line on my wife and I's family plan, the incredible is 79.99 vs $169 for the droid 3 through verizon.

All things considering and being new to droid, what would you do?

Dan

anguish

Reaction score
As someone who came from the Droid 2 Global, the Inc 2. If the D3 is anything like the D2G with its issues, you'll regret it. It takes a little getting used to the software keyboard, and as someone who has big digits for fingers, it can be somewhat annoying, but I enjoy it.

nikecar

Reaction score
I was looking at the Revolution along with the DInc2. I just felt the DInc2 was a better phone in terms of the UI and how it felt. Its fast, as you said, I also moved from a feature phone and 3G is faster than what I had, which was nothing.

The onscreen keyboard does take some getting used to. you will never completely get used to it. I find landscape mode works best.

If you are a heavy texter and need that keyboard, then I'd say go with D3, but if you can put up with the keyboard (test it out at the store doing nothing bust texting a demo) then definitely do the Inc2. I will gladly put up with that limitation. My last phone was a LG Versa with the same onscreen keyboard. I never, in 2 yrs got 100% used to it. It was too small. This one is better though.

Stelv

Silver Member
Reaction score
I have had 4 android devices. The Droid1, Nook Color and Samsung Fascinate. I just bought the Droid Incredible 2. IMO it is one of the best Android phones on Verizon now.

I was considering another Moto device because they are starting to use dual cores, but they refuse to up the ram in their devices. Also moto blur is very buggy. Even with a dual core, devices like the dx2 feel laggy to me. Moto has never been good with the software side of things.

I gave up on Samsung after having the Fascinate which had a very bad gps, connectivity issues and a very fragile cheap build quality. I didn't mind Touchwiz too much but it is also is kind of choppy.

I can definitely tell the difference between a device with 512mb ram and 768mb ram. This device is smooth and fast. Also I get awesome battery on this phone. Connectivity is awesome for me. My data speeds are twice as fast as what I get on my Fascinate.

HTC really out did themselves on HTC sense 2+. Skin changer, tons of widgets, high performance, power and more make it the best overlay out their in my opinion.

Everyone has different needs in a device so I urge you to do your research and try other devices. But my vote goes for the Dinc2.

kingsway8605

Reaction score
The droid 3 is a better phone. If you don't plan on using the keyboard wait for the bionic. It is going to drop any day now.

Carelessly swyped on my phone so there may be some weird typos

kparks

Reaction score
Go with the dinc 2 my buddy has it and loves it u will get used to the on screen keyboard thunderbolt is my 1st phone with put a keyboardless and u set get used to it..

Sent from my ADR6400L using DroidForums

OP
B

Blown03

Reaction score
Thx for the input guys. Just bit the bullet and ordered the Inc2, 79.99 from amazon (im 2nd line on family plan). Be here in 2 days. Figured its 110 cheaper then the droid 3 anyhow. Some reason I end up hating it, I can always send it back!

Stelv

Silver Member
Reaction score
Yea there is always the 14 day return policy. They charge you a $35 restocking fee though and you can only supposedly use it once. (edit: I am not sure how amazons return policy works).

I think you will like the dinc2 though, its a great phone.

guidot

Developer Relations
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Late to the party but the D3 has one of the best keyboards out. Also read a review by someone who owned an env like yourself and was very impressed with the keyboard.

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

OP
B

Blown03

Reaction score
Late to the party but the D3 has one of the best keyboards out. Also read a review by someone who owned an env like yourself and was very impressed with the keyboard.

Yea I think I'll miss the keyboard, env touch has bar-none been the best "regular" phone I've ever owned. Bottom line I keep reminding myself, I'm going from old school to new school and anything is a helluva upgrade vs. what I use now. Figure go basic and cheap, then I can upgrade in 20 months again when everything is 4g LTE and good batteries.

Instead of going from a cavalier to a s550 benz, I'll just ride the cadillac for now lol

kparks

Reaction score
Thx for the input guys. Just bit the bullet and ordered the Inc2, 79.99 from amazon (im 2nd line on family plan). Be here in 2 days. Figured its 110 cheaper then the droid 3 anyhow. Some reason I end up hating it, I can always send it back!

80 bucks for that phone is a heck of a deal

kparks

Reaction score

Yea I think I'll miss the keyboard, env touch has bar-none been the best "regular" phone I've ever owned. Bottom line I keep reminding myself, I'm going from old school to new school and anything is a helluva upgrade vs. what I use now. Figure go basic and cheap, then I can upgrade in 20 months again when everything is 4g LTE and good batteries.

Instead of going from a cavalier to a s550 benz, I'll just ride the cadillac for now lol

I think u will absolutely enjoy this phone... when u get it let us know how u like it

Card

Reaction score
I had the original Droid from the day it came out, until about 2 weeks ago. Losing the physical keyboard was the biggest hanging point I had about switching to the Incredible 2. But after half a month with the Inc2, I can honestly say that I am satisfied. It's not the same as having a physical board to tap on, but the transition for me went smooth and I am quite well-accustomed to it already.

It's even had one positive side benefit. I used to be guilty of constantly texting while driving, because I could more or less type on the D1 by simple feel of the keys, and only glancing down to proofread every once in awhile. It's a horrible habit to have, I know. But now that I have to use the touchscreen to type, I don't even try while I'm on the road.

Darkside86

Reaction score
Coming from a d1 I missed the keyboard at first. One word....SWYPE! With swype installed, I'm almost thankful I don't have a keyboard weighing my phone down anymore. I will miss my og droid though, hands down the best phone for developer community. Imo

Markster1

Reaction score
I had the droid 3 for a day and didn't like it. The UI was slow, screen didn't display colors true and the camera was very slow. I had the original incredible so I got the incredible 2, it's even slicker. I'm very happy with it as I'm sure you will be. Get swype and you can type faster than on a physical keyboard.

Sent from my Galaxy Tab

Last edited: