Incredible 2 vs Thunderbolt for a non-power user

kjjb0204

Reaction score
First off, look to see if 4g is in your area(or coming soon)

next if 4g is not there, are you willing to root your phone, if so the TB is still in your ball park. If not throw the TB away and hit up a older phone or get the Droid inc 2.

Guys really dont point people to BB, the phones just are no longer up to par unless you are using it for work. You may think you want it for basic stuff, but once you have a Android phone, Iphone, or Windows 7 phone you will never look back.

fact stands you may think you dont want what a true smartphone can do, but once you get your hands on it you will likely change your mind and use the apps.

BB is a very good step for the older generation who might be scared of no keyboard, or just wont at all understand how to use a smartphone. It adds some apps, a keyboard(not talking about the storm lol) and a somewhat old style feel.

Not true at all. First, I know many people with Android that really don't use anything but messaging, youtube and light browsing. I know many people on BB that have tried ios or android and have gone back to bb. A BB still fits many users out there and it's worth it to yourself to get the right device for you. It would have to be something special for me to go back to BB, and I am a big fan of android, but in the end it comes down to what works best for each user. There is no way anyone will convince me that android is right for everyone, same for BB or ios or palm or any other mobile platform.

Anyhow, to the OP, get whatever works best for you. The Inc2 is super fast and smooth, but so is the TB. So many choices, it's a good problem to have.

Jeyman

Reaction score
First off, look to see if 4g is in your area(or coming soon)

next if 4g is not there, are you willing to root your phone, if so the TB is still in your ball park. If not throw the TB away and hit up a older phone or get the Droid inc 2.

Guys really dont point people to BB, the phones just are no longer up to par unless you are using it for work. You may think you want it for basic stuff, but once you have a Android phone, Iphone, or Windows 7 phone you will never look back.

fact stands you may think you dont want what a true smartphone can do, but once you get your hands on it you will likely change your mind and use the apps.

BB is a very good step for the older generation who might be scared of no keyboard, or just wont at all understand how to use a smartphone. It adds some apps, a keyboard(not talking about the storm lol) and a somewhat old style feel.

Not true at all. First, I know many people with Android that really don't use anything but messaging, youtube and light browsing. I know many people on BB that have tried ios or android and have gone back to bb. A BB still fits many users out there and it's worth it to yourself to get the right device for you. It would have to be something special for me to go back to BB, and I am a big fan of android, but in the end it comes down to what works best for each user. There is no way anyone will convince me that android is right for everyone, same for BB or ios or palm or any other mobile platform.

Anyhow, to the OP, get whatever works best for you. The Inc2 is super fast and smooth, but so is the TB. So many choices, it's a good problem to have.

for me to say everyone will hate BB os after going after a android/iso/W7 phone is a little much. You are right there. For the bulk of people its true though.

Most BB users wont let go of them mostly because of BBM, thats been shown.

Rim nos this fact, its why they are aiming to update BB's to be more like the newer phones(android,IOS, and W7) sadly for the most part they are failing. We can see this in the sharp drop for BB market share.

[POLL] What Mobile Phone OS Will You Get Next? | discovrpOp
this was a very fast google search, but there have been many polls that show how fast BB is falling, and how many wont leave because of BBM.

Yes look at RIM's phones, but dont get your hopes up that you will find your true love lol.

Lespaul20

Reaction score
I picked up an Inc 2 last Thursday. If you are not a power user, then the Inc 2 would be a great phone. I don't really like the 4.3" phones, 4" just seems perfect. I don't have 4G and wont for probably at least a year. 3G is plenty fast for my casual browsing. I don't have anything I need 4G for, right now.

Why I like the Inc 2: it's nearly as fast as the TB, has a better screen size and is bit lighter.

info4tim

Reaction score
Hi everyone -

New to the forums and new to Android. Been reading a ton of great advice on the boards and wanted to propose a question I'd imagine others have as well. I'm upgrading to my first smartphone. I find the iPhone boring and have heard good things about HTC. So I'm considering either the Incredible 2 or the Thunderbolt.

I plan to use my phone primarily as a phone. Texting, calendar, some e-mail, very basic functions will be 90% of the usage. Occasional use of web browser, navigation, YouTube, etc. No plans to do any super heavy bandwidth activities like stream full movies.

So...Dinc2 or TB? I know the TB's big plus is LTE but that battery life sounds like a dealbreaker. If I'm not putting a big load on web/data, is there any reason to go LTE over 3g? The Dinc2 is cheaper and smaller (EDIT: just meant to add these are important factors, esp. size) and if its 3g performance is good I'd rather wait another year or two and upgrade to the latest LTE model.

What would you choose? Thanks for reading and thanks for the great forums.

j.
Not sure where you are in the US (?), but for us here in NJ - forget about 4G/LTE until at least next year. 4G won't be "here" till then. The TB is huge - 4.3" - need a wagon to carry around! Judging by your phone "reqs", I'd say stay away from Droids - you won't use even 30% of their features. In your shoes, I'd def. entertain a blackberry - Curve, etc. Perfect for occasional i-net access, and UNmatched in email push technology. I just picked up an Inc 2 Thurs. However, I run a computer/network/POS integration support services company, and will use quite a bit of the Droids features, etc. The Inc 2 is absolutely perfect for me. Came from a BB Pearl, and 1st foray into the Linux world/Droid, and wow! what a really great piece of technology! Was eyeing droids for some time now, but the 4.3 's were just too big for me (from a Pearl), and the 3.7's not worth the switch - but the Inc 2 @ 4.0 was/is perfect.
Hope this helps a bit in your decision, if you haven't taken the plunge already!
Cheers,
Tim

OP
J

jackson495

Reaction score
Hey everyone - OP here. Thanks for all the insight. I think despite the lack of 4g, I am going to go for the Inc2. The TB is just gigantic and I just prefer the feel and the battery life of the smaller phone. In the end, I simply can't see myself needing the extra oomph of 4g. I don't particularly like the experience of web browsing or watching video on a small screen and I'm really upgrading to a smartphone for features other than media.

But great opinions from all - thank you for the advice.

Elohdaeh78

Reaction score
Hi everyone -

New to the forums and new to Android. Been reading a ton of great advice on the boards and wanted to propose a question I'd imagine others have as well. I'm upgrading to my first smartphone. I find the iPhone boring and have heard good things about HTC. So I'm considering either the Incredible 2 or the Thunderbolt.

I plan to use my phone primarily as a phone. Texting, calendar, some e-mail, very basic functions will be 90% of the usage. Occasional use of web browser, navigation, YouTube, etc. No plans to do any super heavy bandwidth activities like stream full movies.

So...Dinc2 or TB? I know the TB's big plus is LTE but that battery life sounds like a dealbreaker. If I'm not putting a big load on web/data, is there any reason to go LTE over 3g? The Dinc2 is cheaper and smaller (EDIT: just meant to add these are important factors, esp. size) and if its 3g performance is good I'd rather wait another year or two and upgrade to the latest LTE model.

j.
Not sure where you are in the US (?), but for us here in NJ - forget about 4G/LTE until at least next year. 4G won't be "here" till then. The TB is huge - 4.3" - need a wagon to carry around! Judging by your phone "reqs", I'd say stay away from Droids - you won't use even 30% of their features. In your shoes, I'd def. entertain a blackberry - Curve, etc. Perfect for occasional i-net access, and UNmatched in email push technology. I just picked up an Inc 2 Thurs. However, I run a computer/network/POS integration support services company, and will use quite a bit of the Droids features, etc. The Inc 2 is absolutely perfect for me. Came from a BB Pearl, and 1st foray into the Linux world/Droid, and wow! what a really great piece of technology! Was eyeing droids for some time now, but the 4.3 's were just too big for me (from a Pearl), and the 3.7's not worth the switch - but the Inc 2 @ 4.0 was/is perfect.
Hope this helps a bit in your decision, if you haven't taken the plunge already!
Cheers,
Tim

I thought the same thing about being in NJ, but just the other day I was at Lewis Morris Park in Morristown NJ and I had 4g. I was shocked because I read you couldn't get it in NJ anywhere. I even did a speed test to be sure and these were my results.

04/30/11
download 9774kbps
upload 2959kbps
ping 173ms

Network LTE
Server Newark NJ

EgooEspada

Reaction score
Hi everyone -

j.
Cheers,
Tim

I thought the same thing about being in NJ, but just the other day I was at Lewis Morris Park in Morristown NJ and I had 4g. I was shocked because I read you couldn't get it in NJ anywhere. I even did a speed test to be sure and these were my results.

04/30/11
download 9774kbps
upload 2959kbps
ping 173ms

Network LTE
Server Newark NJ

I live in NJ and there's quite a few places where you can get 4G. I was surprised. I believe it comes from the tower in Philly (if you're in South Jersey) and heard you get signal within about 40 miles.

Sent from my ADR6400L

Coltrane

Reaction score
I am new to droid also and came from BB (big learning curve!!). I have had Inc2 for a week and love it but am considering trading it in for the TB. I am in a 4G area (DC). The size was also a factor in originally not getting the TB but, in reality, it is just a hair bigger than the INc2 and for an extra $50 bucks I get 4G and more storage. I'm constantly charging the battery anyway so that's not an issue.

Are there any downsides?

Reaction score
I finally got my hands on a DInc2 and to the OP, I would suggest the DInc2 for them. (Keep in mind, I own and love my Thunderbolt...)

A quick comparison of base features:

Lightweight: DInc2
Battery: DInc2
Screen Size: TBolt
Software Speed: TBolt
Data Speed: TBolt (both 3G/EVDO and 4G/LTE are faster on the TBolt)
Root/ROM/Dev: TBolt (though given time DInc2 may catch up)

All the pros for the TBolt are for what I would call "power users" (who am I kidding, Geeks such as myself!), and the DInc2 has advantages for just your basic user.

If you are going to do things like Gaming, Custom ROMming, or need that superfast data connection, the TBolt is the way to go.

If you are going to be on the phone a lot and/or texting, you want the better battery.

Obviously, if you want to be on the phone and surfing at the same time a lot, then the TBolt would win. (Am I correct in assuming that the DInc2 doesn't do both at the same time? I was told that the simultaneous has nothing to do with the network, it's how the radio in the phone is built)

Reaction score
I am new to droid also and came from BB (big learning curve!!). I have had Inc2 for a week and love it but am considering trading it in for the TB. I am in a 4G area (DC). The size was also a factor in originally not getting the TB but, in reality, it is just a hair bigger than the INc2 and for an extra $50 bucks I get 4G and more storage. I'm constantly charging the battery anyway so that's not an issue.

Are there any downsides?

Given the fact that your situation isn't battery life dependent, I would say no downsides. I would suggest that you do yourself a favor though and Root the TBolt and at least get rid of the Bloatware, it will help your battery immensely... also, you will have the option to install a ROM/Radio where you can switch it back to 3G/EVDO if you won't be near a charger.

Coltrane

Reaction score
Unfortunately, I didn't wait for your answer for which I thank you anyway. I agree the TB is a little bigger, and much heavier. Let's face it, after reading the posts, the specific phone you get in the same model line is different than someone else's. (the first TB's phone system was bad and they had to give me another)

That said, I think the Inc2 is , barring my specific GPS problem with the INC2 I gave back, and in my humble opinion, a better phone in that it seemed less buggy and simpler to use. The phone sounded a little better, the music sounded a little better, tho the TB is louder. There is no doubt the 4G is fast and the battery life is short. I have downloaded LTE OnOff which allegedly helps butI haven't a clue how to root the phone am afraid I'll screw it up big time.

I also got the Motorola portable power pack (on sale for $20) and it is very light tho I haven't used it yet.

My rueful conclusion: if you don't want or need 4G stick with the Inc2 which is a great phone. BUT, you won't have 4G for the next 2 years and you know they are gonna improve the system. battery, etc.

Reaction score
Unfortunately, I didn't wait for your answer for which I thank you anyway. I agree the TB is a little bigger, and much heavier. Let's face it, after reading the posts, the specific phone you get in the same model line is different than someone else's. (the first TB's phone system was bad and they had to give me another)

That said, I think the Inc2 is , barring my specific GPS problem with the INC2 I gave back, and in my humble opinion, a better phone in that it seemed less buggy and simpler to use. The phone sounded a little better, the music sounded a little better, tho the TB is louder. There is no doubt the 4G is fast and the battery life is short. I have downloaded LTE OnOff which allegedly helps butI haven't a clue how to root the phone am afraid I'll screw it up big time.

I also got the Motorola portable power pack (on sale for $20) and it is very light tho I haven't used it yet.

My rueful conclusion: if you don't want or need 4G stick with the Inc2 which is a great phone. BUT, you won't have 4G for the next 2 years and you know they are gonna improve the system. battery, etc.

I think the "battery woes" on the Thunderbolt are blown out of proportion, as before I rooted mine, I was getting identical life out of it compared to my Droid X... it makes sense as they were both connected at 3G/EVDO and have the same sized screen (the two biggest determinations on how long your battery lasts aside from Battery size). Now that I rooted and loaded a new ROM, kernel and Radio on there, I am easily getting through a work day on 3G connection (I don't have to charge my phone at all during the day, many times I still have over 30% left when I go to bed 17 hours after waking up).

As far as rooting... last I checked, there was a 3-step Root for the TBolt that was easy. I 'manually' rooted mine, but I have Linux experience and work in the IT field, so I probably am a bit more comfortable with the process. I will say that if you follow instructions, it's almost impossible to brick your phone... you really have to screw something up to do so.

Coltrane

Reaction score
So far, they are as advertised but, and I may be dreaming, hope they will get better as time goes on. Right now, my biggest problem is that when I connect the phone to my computer, after a while I lose my internet connection. happened with the Inc2 also.

Anyway, if you would be so kind as to give me a link to the 3-step Root,I would like to try it. This may sound idiotic, but what do I do after I root it? What does it do foe me?

Thanks again for your insight.

Reaction score
So far, they are as advertised but, and I may be dreaming, hope they will get better as time goes on. Right now, my biggest problem is that when I connect the phone to my computer, after a while I lose my internet connection. happened with the Inc2 also.

Anyway, if you would be so kind as to give me a link to the 3-step Root,I would like to try it. This may sound idiotic, but what do I do after I root it? What does it do foe me?

Thanks again for your insight.

Here is the manual Root method: Manual TBolt Root

Here is the One-click Root method (looks like they improved from the 3-click): 1-Click TBolt Root

Keep in mind that this will wipe your phone.

After you root, you can do lots of cool stuff... remove "bloatware" apps (Blockbuster, VZ Navigator, etc.), Load a new kernel that will give you better battery life and/or allow overclocking, you can also load Custom ROMs which typically do all that for you! Check out the Thunderbolt ROMs threads for stuff you can do...