In a world of doesn't... droid ALSO DOESN'T

Status
Not open for further replies.

theguy386

Reaction score
**Facepalm**

Ok, trying not to be too negative here...

I have had the Moto Droid for 1.5 weeks now. Running 2.0.1.

I have noticed that Droid does not do the following (or do the following correctly)

1. Doesn't display 95% of PDF attachments in default E-Mail (not G-Mail) program. [k-9 does]
  2. Doesn't display many embedded pictures in G-Mail.
    Works for me :)
  3. Doesn't let you empty your G-Mail trash. It appears to work, but when I log into my G-Mail on PC, items are all still in trash.
    Have to let Gmail actually SYNC
  4. Doesn't have any flash support yet.
    Neither does any other phone out there... but at lest its on its way
  5. Doesn't allow incoming conference calling. If I am on the phone with someone, and someone else calls me on call waiting, I can't merge the two calls together to allow all three people to talk together on one call. Can do this for outgoing, just not incoming.
    lol wut
  6. Doesn't have a calendar widgit that auto refreshes. (mine stays on one dat until I reboot the phone, which I don't feel like doing every day)
    Tons of calendars on the market
  7. Doesn't have a long enough USB cord.
    wow, really? just get a longer one
  8. Doesn't have Mini USB socket like most previous Moto phones. (Droid has micro)
    micro is the NEW thing
  9. Doesn't have an "out of the box" solution for syncing Microsoft Outlook items (contacts, calendar, notes, tasks) for users who are not in an exchange environment.
    time to switch to gmail there buddy (a quick google of your topic and you'll find what you're looking for)
  10. Doesn't have a way to clear Android Market search history.
    Wow, got one. +1
  11. Doesn't vibrate when using the silence feature on screen lock.
    Does for me :)
  12. Doesn't have easy global volume control.
  13. Doesn't pick up sound very well while recording video.
    Of course it has nothing to do with the fact that the mic is on your hand side, right? lol
  14. Doesn't support many MPEG video files. (need to convert to MP4)
    wow, really?
  15. Doesn't have stock multi touch features
    does for me :)
  16. Doesn't filter free apps / games on search in market
    You can easily see the damn price
  17. Doesn't switch home screen to landscape when rotated.
  18. Doesn't work with my bluetooth as nicely (clearly) as my Moto Razr did.
    Have had absolutely no problems with bluetooth
  19. Doesn't have a stylus. (most cases not needed, but sometimes it would be great)
    LMFAO (neither will most touch capacitive screens)
  20. Doesn't have an app to create / edit word or excel docs.
    last time I checked, this isnt Windows Mobile
Anyway, Like I said, I'm not trying to be too negative, and I do love the phone, I just wish the stuff I mention above was included "out of the box".

I know the market has tons of custom apps, but Paying the money for the phone, the accessories, the voice plan, the data plan, I don't find it necessary to have to pay money to install apps that the phone should have included in the first place.

I have found some free apps to cater to some of my needs, but not all of my needs. I think Google kinda left out the "corporate world" in their thoughts when writing the Android software, and developing the phone.

If anyone out there has found solutions or work arounds to any of the things I mentioned, please share.

josg21

Reaction score
Ok, trying not to be too negative here...

I have had the Moto Droid for 1.5 weeks now. Running 2.0.1.

I have noticed that Droid does not do the following (or do the following correctly)

1. Doesn't display 95% of PDF attachments in default E-Mail (not G-Mail) program. [k-9 does]
  3. Doesn't let you empty your G-Mail trash. It appears to work, but when I log into my G-Mail on PC, items are all still in trash.
  5. Doesn't allow incoming conference calling. If I am on the phone with someone, and someone else calls me on call waiting, I can't merge the two calls together to allow all three people to talk together on one call. Can do this for outgoing, just not incoming.
  6. Doesn't have a calendar widgit that auto refreshes. (mine stays on one dat until I reboot the phone, which I don't feel like doing every day)
  8. Doesn't have Mini USB socket like most previous Moto phones. (Droid has micro)
  9. Doesn't have an "out of the box" solution for syncing Microsoft Outlook items (contacts, calendar, notes, tasks) for users who are not in an exchange environment.
  19. Doesn't have a stylus. (most cases not needed, but sometimes it would be great)
Anyway, Like I said, I'm not trying to be too negative, and I do love the phone, I just wish the stuff I mention above was included "out of the box".

I know the market has tons of custom apps, but Paying the money for the phone, the accessories, the voice plan, the data plan, I don't find it necessary to have to pay money to install apps that the phone should have included in the first place.

I have found some free apps to cater to some of my needs, but not all of my needs. I think Google kinda left out the "corporate world" in their thoughts when writing the Android software, and developing the phone.

If anyone out there has found solutions or work arounds to any of the things I mentioned, please share.

1. Exchange sucks. Become a real boy and get google apps.
2. Who uses a stylus? Its not 1997 anymore.
3. In general your issues are weird and petty. Go use an Iphone then come back and tell me if the droid is restrictive.

natediddy1120

Silver Member
Reaction score
My Droid is AWESOME

It has multitouch browser, maps, and picture galleries...I love the Market because it has MORE FREE apps than paid apps...

This is the most pointless and stupidest thread I have came across so far here at droidforums.....sorry your Droid isn't 100% perfect and doesn't walk on water...but you need to take a look at what you have in your hand and and actually look for things you think you don't have before you post stupid threads like this

The beauty of the Android OS is that if you don't happen to like what it came with, you can most often find a better alternative in the Market.....plus more useful gadgets that really pay off the phone in the long run...

EDIT: And if you wanted a Stylus you should have just bought a crappy Windows Mobile phone instead of something too powerful for you to handle

droidfannd

Reaction score
Anyway, Like I said, I'm not trying to be too negative, ...

Wow, could've fooled me.

If you can find the PERFECT phone that has nothing for you to ***** about....let us know.

Even the iPhone could have a list as long of small annoyances.

M

Matth3w

Anyway, Like I said, I'm not trying to be too negative, ...

Wow, could've fooled me.

If you can find the PERFECT phone that has nothing for you to ***** about....let us know.

Even the iPhone could have a list as long of small annoyances.
Could? I had a TON of issues with my iPhone. You want to talk about annoying? Have sideburns (and mine aren't even ridiculous, just normal but with curly hair) and try to talk on the phone. Watch how many times where the plastic screen meets the metal case that it grabs and yanks out hair from your face while you're on the phone.

Caller: "Yeah just wanted to know if you wanted to..."
Me: "JESUS ****ING CHRIST OMG **** THAT HURTS"
Caller: "Uh...."

theguy386

Reaction score
You know what guys, this guy might have a point... but I think I should add some more items to the list

* Doesnt tie my shoes
* Doesnt clean itself on its own
* Doesnt connect to iPod accessories
* Doesnt have a BIG physical keypad with numbers

deputc26

Reaction score
You guys are feeding the troll, I saw this when there was no responses and decided to keep it that way as the OP obviously went far out of his way to nit pick and have a laugh about starting a "droid doesn't" thread on droid forums. I bet this guy won't be back or ever contribute to these forums in a meaningful way.

Here's hoping I'm wrong:greendroid:

czerdrill

Silver Member
Reaction score
I think the OP needs to be spoon fed and is ****** that he wasn't.

natediddy1120

Silver Member
Reaction score
You guys are feeding the troll, I saw this when there was no responses and decided to keep it that way as the OP obviously went far out of his way to nit pick and have a laugh about starting a "droid doesn't" thread on droid forums. I bet this guy won't be back or ever contribute to these forums in a meaningful way.

Here's hoping I'm wrong:greendroid:

Yeah you're most likely correct...I quit! I :heart: my Droid and thats all that matters!

zero7404

Reaction score
damn....not even i had such high ambitions for the droid, and i'm transitioning from blackberry mind u....

give it time

OP
TrueFangz

TrueFangz

Reaction score
Yeah, I definitely expected to get a bunch of flack, and immature responses. That's why I tried to make it quite clear that I wasn't trying to be negative. I am in no way a troll.

So let's see...

Saying I'm ignorant for not looking first, I 've spent a week looking for resolutions to what I've mentioned and have had no luck. If you know some of the answers, then post them.

When I filter "free" on apps in the market, true, only free ones show up, but when I search after filter, it shows paid and free apps.

My calendar widget will not auto refresh.

When I click "Show Pictures" in g-mail, I just get an outline with little blue icons in it in place of the pics. And the app to create / edit word, excel, power point, Where is this app? Is it out of the box? My stuff opens with quick office for viewing only.

I am not using exchange, but my company does use outlook, so I can't use g-mail for my business E-Mails. I do use G-Mail for personal use.

Granted, no one said that the phone should do all of these things, but it certainly should do quite a few.

Thanks for the info on the USB port- But regarding your the comment about buying a $500.00 phone... That's exactly my point. If I'm paying $500.00 I don't want to have to keep paying fees to get what I thought the droid would or should do.

Seeing all the ads that say "In a world of doesn't, Droid Does" To me, that's a great slogan, but it's not true. As much of a fan of Google as I am, I'm a little disappointed that Google didn't think these things through.

I've used 4 different types of Windows Mobile phones all touch screen's that did have a stylus.

If people are gonna say stuff like "Does for Me" then please clue me in as I've had no luck.

After coming to this forum constantly every day for over a month now, I thought I would regsiter, and that this would be a good place to discuss the things I'm not too pleased about the droid, and see if I could get decent help. I see now that I'm wrong.

Thanks guys.

NathanDetroit

Reaction score
Yeah, I definitely expected to get a bunch of flack, and immature responses. That's why I tried to make it quite clear that I wasn't trying to be negative. I am in no way a troll.

So let's see...

Saying I'm ignorant for not looking first, I 've spent a week looking for resolutions to what I've mentioned and have had no luck. If you know some of the answers, then post them.

When I filter "free" on apps in the market, true, only free ones show up, but when I search after filter, it shows paid and free apps.

My calendar widget will not auto refresh.

When I click "Show Pictures" in g-mail, I just get an outline with little blue icons in it in place of the pics. And the app to create / edit word, excel, power point, Where is this app? Is it out of the box? My stuff opens with quick office for viewing only.

I am not using exchange, but my company does use outlook, so I can't use g-mail for my business E-Mails. I do use G-Mail for personal use.

Granted, no one said that the phone should do all of these things, but it certainly should do quite a few.

Thanks for the info on the USB port- But regarding your the comment about buying a $500.00 phone... That's exactly my point. If I'm paying $500.00 I don't want to have to keep paying fees to get what I thought the droid would or should do.

Seeing all the ads that say "In a world of doesn't, Droid Does" To me, that's a great slogan, but it's not true. As much of a fan of Google as I am, I'm a little disappointed that Google didn't think these things through.

I've used 4 different types of Windows Mobile phones all touch screen's that did have a stylus.

If people are gonna say stuff like "Does for Me" then please clue me in as I've had no luck.

After coming to this forum constantly every day for over a month now, I thought I would regsiter, and that this would be a good place to discuss the things I'm not too pleased about the droid, and see if I could get decent help. I see now that I'm wrong.

Thanks guys.

You're asking for a phone that's customized to do everything YOU need it to do, when a lot of end-users will have no need for the features you're interested in. If you want a company (or individual, for that matter) to custom-build you a phone I'm sure you could find someone willing to do it - for a price.

You bought a phone that is capable of being customized, and likely very close to the extent that you're looking for. You just need to put in the time or the money to make it happen.

Rayv

Reaction score

A week is pretty much nothing with a phone that has so many capabilities. I have had this phone for a month and am still finding new stuff I didn't know it could do. I cant tell you how many times I /facepalm when I realize something I spent days trying to figure out was in fact far more simple that I was making it out to be. It may not be able to do what you are specifically looking for (I honestly have no idea), but for most of us the things the phone CAN do are why we love it.

Backnblack

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
iPhone 7+ 256gb
Let's keep this civil, I've already handed out infractions.

If this gets out of hand it will be :closed_2: and Vacation time might be handed out.

gentlefury

Reaction score

and why would you use non-gmail account with a google phone?

I haven't had this problem

umm, the point of 5+GB of storage is to never delete emails...

OK, neither does any other phone on US carriers...the adobe demo tho was on a droid running 2.0.1...it is coming...be patient...geez

Do you know this for sure? Or can you not figure it out and you assume it doesnt do it.

Have you seen that market thing they got going on??

Really?

Micro USB is the new standard...don't expect any new devices to have mini again.

I'm not even going to comment on the illogic of even using Outlook...guess you like viruses.

really? Mine does.

Again, check the market for this.

Market...

Are you covering the mic? Mine works great.

Once VLC is ported that will be solved....again, patients.

once again, market....or patience....will have it in less than a week...

Oh so you have tried the market....

I thought you said you have used the market.....any home replacement will do this.

Now your just being silly and crazy.

HA HA HA....really??

Man you really hate the market dont you??

Status
Not open for further replies.