Mic doesn't work sometimes

cchhiipp

Reaction score
I've found that in the last couple days, my mic isn't working, as in nobody can hear me speak on the phone, and voice search doesn't register anything.

I thought it might have to do something with having earphones plugged in, as the first time I noticed was when I was listening to music when a call came in and they couldn't hear me after I unplugged the earphones. After a reboot it was working again.

However, today, I didn't use earphones at all. I had a couple successful calls, but then again the problem started. I rebooted it but this time the reboot didn't fix the problem.

I've tried muting and unmuting the phone as well as turning on and turning off the speaker. None of that works.

Any suggestions? Is this a known issue or do I need to swap it out? I'm still within my initial month so I can go back to Verizon if need be, but I'd love to know if there's an easy fix. Thanks!

MNTNBKR

Reaction score
There is a known issue with the mic not working after using headphones, however if it's also not working without ever using headphones, then you might have a different problem.

OP
cchhiipp

cchhiipp

Reaction score
Thanks for the info. Is there a fix/workaround for the known issue to get it working if it stops?

OP
cchhiipp

cchhiipp

Reaction score
Can anyone supply the known conditions that cause the mic not to work following earphone use? (or is it seemingly random?)

I was listening with earphones today, when a call came in. I pulled the earphones before answering, and my mic worked, thankfully. Is that something can expect all the time, or will that sometimes cause the mic to cut out?

OP
cchhiipp

cchhiipp

Reaction score
Thanks for the link, but that thread is talking about the speaker not working. My issue seems to be with the microphone not working. My speakers are working fine. If there's an existing discussion about the mic problem, that'd be very helpful. Thanks!

Martin030908

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Thanks for the link, but that thread is talking about the speaker not working. My issue seems to be with the microphone not working. My speakers are working fine. If there's an existing discussion about the mic problem, that'd be very helpful. Thanks!

I understand it's your mic, but you mentioned that you thought it might be after plugging in headphones...which that thread deals with :) Just trying to help.
If your mic doesn't work, could be hardware, in which case, get an exchange :)

Cringe

Reaction score
I have had the microphone cut during a call. It seems to happen randomly, but always at least several minutes into a call. When the mic cuts out is it 100% muted. Everytime it happens the person I'm talking to seems to think the call has been dropped, but I can hear them fine. This seems like a software bug to me. I was thinking that possibly one of the apps I downloaded may have caused this problem. I'm thinking of doing a factory reset and see if that helps.

mommyto3

Reaction score
I am now on my second droid. My first began having problems a week or so after I got it when using the microphone on speaker phone. The caller can't hear me. I called and was told to do the soft reset, which didn't resolve the problem. I took it into Verizon and they replaced it. Now two weeks into my new phone and I'm having the same problem. It only happens when I'm trying to use the speaker phone. I don't have any sort of cover on it, because I use the docking station at night as my alarm clock. I'm getting more than a little upset now. :mad:

iphonehater

Reaction score
Verizon doesn't acknowledge as known issue

I too have been having microphone issues when callers call me, even when using just the phone handset. If I switch to speakerphone, wired headset, or bluetooth headset during the call, the person on the other end of the call can then hear me fine.

Everyone says, "are you calling from a tunnel? I can barely hear you." Something obviously is wrong with the software, since switching to the speakerphone mode causes the microphone to work fine.

I'll be performing a factory reset, since I don't believe replacing the hardware will make any difference. I called Verizon tech support, they don't claim any knowledge of the problem...and I then had them transfer me to Motorola tech support.

Motorola claims that they have had this problem reported, but only for people using a "protective cover". They advised removing the cover. Unfortunately, I'm not using a cover and Motorola's only recommendation was to perform a factory reset.

Verizon support kindly agreed to create a product issue with Motorola for tracking purposes, because I'm insistent that someone from either company identifies this known issue that people are reporting and the solution when it's available.

Everyone was keen to ask about whether or not I've downloaded apps from the Droid marketplace. Duh! Of course, and as a result, Motorola wanted to infer that one of those apps could be the source of the problem.

Maybe? Who knows, I'm going to find out though. I'm going to factory reset, then install one app at a time until I find the one that causes the problem. The biggest challenge in all of this? The microphone issue is not reproducible 100% of the time consistently. It just happens on the important calls, LOL! Murphy's Law might need to be changed to Motorola's Curse.

I really hope Motorola doesn't think people won't download apps from the Marketplace...you listening Google? Seems Steve Jobs had it right all along...no third party crappy software. I really hate to see Apple win. They are the new Microsoft.

randallman

Reaction score
I have had the microphone cut during a call. It seems to happen randomly, but always at least several minutes into a call. When the mic cuts out is it 100% muted. Everytime it happens the person I'm talking to seems to think the call has been dropped, but I can hear them fine. This seems like a software bug to me. I was thinking that possibly one of the apps I downloaded may have caused this problem. I'm thinking of doing a factory reset and see if that helps.

I too have had this happen.. It seems to be when I try to hold the phone on my left shoulder with my head... Never on the right side... Very iphoneesque :) It happens when Im talking to a land line or another cell phone user...

callverizon

Reaction score
Call verizon to report mic / earphone problems

Hi,

I just bought a Droid 2. I listen to music A LOT, but of course this is a phone so I started research looking for a set that could give me good playback with music but also function well for the phone. After reading the posts on this forum and others and contacting some earphone manufacturers, it appears that the buttons on most (maybe all) earphones do not work well with the Droids.

I contacted the Technical department of Verizon today (the 14th of September) and they DO NOT have this noted as an issue.

I recommend that folks that have (or had) issues with the mic or music playback on their headsets should call Verizon so that the issue gets noted for fixing. From what I understand, once the issue is recognized by them and fixed, the Droid software on our phones will be automatically updated.

Thanks.

schwoates

Reaction score
"Maybe? Who knows, I'm going to find out though. I'm going to factory reset, then install one app at a time until I find the one that causes the problem. The biggest challenge in all of this? The microphone issue is not reproducible 100% of the time consistently. It just happens on the important calls, LOL! Murphy's Law might need to be changed to Motorola's Curse."

Did you ever do this and did this end up working?