In a world of doesn't... droid ALSO DOESN'T

Status
Not open for further replies.

DaHarder

Reaction score
Ok, trying not to be too negative here...

I have had the Moto Droid for 1.5 weeks now. Running 2.0.1.

I have noticed that Droid does not do the following (or do the following correctly)

Anyway, Like I said, I'm not trying to be too negative, and I do love the phone, I just wish the stuff I mention above was included "out of the box".

I know the market has tons of custom apps, but Paying the money for the phone, the accessories, the voice plan, the data plan, I don't find it necessary to have to pay money to install apps that the phone should have included in the first place.

I have found some free apps to cater to some of my needs, but not all of my needs. I think Google kinda left out the "corporate world" in their thoughts when writing the Android software, and developing the phone.

If anyone out there has found solutions or work arounds to any of the things I mentioned, please share.

After reading through (most of) this post, the only conclusion I can reasonably draw is:

DROID Doesn't Cater To The Absolute Lowest Common Denominator of Technical Prowess.

Maybe you're not really ready for a 'smart' phone yet.​

Reaction score
You guys want a bunch of bloat in the OS? seems silly. Id rather most things be apps on the market, then I have the option to install them or not.

Yes! For the price I want all the working, fastest BLOAT ever!

But really, imagine how a lot of PCs can barely run Windows and are sluggish, but at the same time OS X runs smooth natively. Some PCs runs Windows smooth as a baby's bottom natively too!

Lets not cripple them by not wanting added features! Lets push them to add more and more, and thus the hardware we be pushed and pushed to handled more things!

Yah for advancement!

wil318466

Reaction score
Ok, trying not to be too negative here...

I have had the Moto Droid for 1.5 weeks now. Running 2.0.1.

I have noticed that Droid does not do the following (or do the following correctly)

Anyway, Like I said, I'm not trying to be too negative, and I do love the phone, I just wish the stuff I mention above was included "out of the box".

I know the market has tons of custom apps, but Paying the money for the phone, the accessories, the voice plan, the data plan, I don't find it necessary to have to pay money to install apps that the phone should have included in the first place.

I have found some free apps to cater to some of my needs, but not all of my needs. I think Google kinda left out the "corporate world" in their thoughts when writing the Android software, and developing the phone.

If anyone out there has found solutions or work arounds to any of the things I mentioned, please share.

After reading through (most of) this post, the only conclusion I can reasonably draw is:​

DROID Doesn't Cater To The Absolute Lowest Common Denominator of Technical Prowess.​

Maybe you're not really ready for a 'smart' phone yet.​

These answers still shock me.

I've said it before, I'll say it again.

*Just because something isn't an issue for you doesn't mean it isn't an issue for someone else*.

This is like saying "I never had a heart attack on Vioxx, the small percentage of people who dropped dead is ruining it for everyone else who have had no adverse reactions".

The responses to some very valid complaints are unbelieveable.

Example : The Outlook complaint. If you don't Outlook and already use Gmail, obviously this isn't a problem with you. Guess what? There are companies that USE OUTLOOK ONLY! Mine does!

The USB cord complaint : have you read the responses? Personally, I don't think itsa big deal, but the FIRST thing I thought when I looked at it was "Damn that's short".

Instead of him being not ready for a "smart" phone, maybe YOU shouldn't be one forum that is designed to HELP people.

He didnt' say you were ugly. He listed the things he didn't like. For you to attack him for it does NO one any good.

-Wil

*Edited because I signed -Wil twice, I didn't want to be yelled at again by Matthew.

natediddy1120

Silver Member
Reaction score
OMG!!!!!!!!!!!!

Will everyone just give it a rest???

And pleeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeease don't get on the debate of native features vs. add-on features again......please????

ashkev843

Reaction score
As for the stylus you could always pick one of these up from a desk or a tree near you. Sorry I had to do it. But seriously there are like 3 things on your list that can't be solved with an app or changing a setting. Just post a question on here and it almost definitely will get answered, that is what the forum is for. Good luck with the phone.....it is by far the best one I have ever had the pleasure of owning and customizing.

Attachments

• stick11.jpg
    stick11.jpg
    35.7 KB · Views: 348

SGTiger

Reaction score
You guys want a bunch of bloat in the OS? seems silly. Id rather most things be apps on the market, then I have the option to install them or not.

Exactly! One man's treasure is another man's bloat. Who wants Google deciding what is best for everyone? Those that want all that included in the O/S wants everything spoon-fed to them.

I want the power to choose the app that fits my needs, not whatever app Google deems is best for me. Who wants apps that you aren't going to use, taking up precious resources?

Seems ridiculous and lazy to me. Those that want it all bundled together in the OS should go to Apple's closed system so everything can be decided for them.

solorca

Reaction score
Honestly, it sounds to me like you need to get a Blackberry. Most of your issues are related to why this phone doesn't work well when it comes to business apps. A blackberry is a much more useful phone for someone who intends to use it for business purposes.

A phone like the Droid or Iphone, while able to be used to business purposes, is also made with the average consumer in mind...not just business people.

jvcerebro

Reaction score
i do have to add that I do connect my Outlook calendar and email (both from work) and it works flawlessly.
Motorola added two apps later:
1. Corporate Calendar
2. Corporate Directory

I can tell you I was very impressed with the Directory as it searches all the phones. It has been very handy.

the problem is if your company doesnt support for access from mobile devices. other than that. Im loving the corporate abilities of the DROID.

Droid DOES! :greendroid:

griz8791

Reaction score
Fangz, I made a post like yours in my my first two weeks of evaluating the Droid so I know where you are coming from. I got the same sort of responses, right down to the demand that I exchange it for a Blackberry if intended to use it for business.

The fact is, the Droid simply isn't going to integrate easily or tightly with your Outlook the way a WinMo phone does. You are going to have to look into some third-party sync software that will get you part of the way to where you want to go. Then you and your staff are going to have to develop some workarounds to close the gap. At the end of that process you should be able to use the Droid to do most of what you need.

I know I do not miss Active Sync/Wireless Sync at all.

natty_lite

Reaction score
Good first post. I'm kinda *issed I can't use it while I'm in the shower, or have an infrared port so I can use it as a universal remote for my blu ray and television set.

_atlas

Reaction score
Does anyone else think that the OP made this thread just for kicks?

Looks like this is where people are letting out their "WHERE THE F*CK IS MY 2.1?!" steam.

Reaction score
He could of posted that just for kicks, while him and his friends sit back with a beer and laugh at all the members getting emotional.

But the world would never know... except I guess him and his friends... and God...

takeshi

Silver Member
Reaction score
Let's take this approach -- what smartphone does out-of-the-box? For that matter, what PC does out-of-the-box?

Status
Not open for further replies.