improving signal

joshxdroid

Reaction score
Does anyone have any tricks for improving the reception on the thunderbolt? I just activated one for my wife and she loves the phone except the reception sucks. It's on 1x most of the time inside the house. It is rooted with clockwork recovery installed, so i wouldn't be opposed to installing a ROM if i thought if would help. Her previous phone (Droid x2) rarely lost 3g at the same location

Psykho

Reaction score
Maybe it's a bad TB or your location because I'm in Massachusetts and I have 4G everywhere nowadays and if it does switch to 3G it does it instantly...

Tallica

Premium Member
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Try network signal booster from the playstore

Sent from a long time ago, in a galaxy far, far away, from my hTc Thunderbolt

OP
J

joshxdroid

Reaction score
Psykho said:
Maybe it's a bad TB or your location because I'm in Massachusetts and I have 4G everywhere nowadays and if it does switch to 3G it does it instantly...

Yeah, I'm aware my location isn't the greatest. I am just wondering if anyone knows any ways to improve. Motorola phones are the only phones that seem to get decent reception at my house. I know their radios are better than other companies. That's why i wondered if maybe there its a way to improve the radio. Maybe with a custom kernel ect. I don't have much experience with that stuff.

OP
J

joshxdroid

Reaction score
Tallica said:
Try network signal booster from the playstore

Sent from a long time ago, in a galaxy far, far away, from my hTc Thunderbolt

Thanks. I will

geoff5093

Reaction score
Thanks. I will
It won't do anything, no app will improve the signal, at most it will simply adjust what the phone shows.

Are you using an aftermarket battery? The antennas are located on the battery door, if it's third party or in bad shape the antennas may not be working optimally.

rbw62

Reaction score
Maybe not, but new radio firmware update can improve it.

wvdroidman

Reaction score
how do you update the radio firmware so I can pick up the new 4g in my area. There are some areas of the city where I get full 4g bars, some where I get only 3g and some half 4g bars (like 1 or 2).
I want to get full 4g everywhere.

OP
J

joshxdroid

Reaction score
wvdroidman said:
how do you update the radio firmware so I can pick up the new 4g in my area. There are some areas of the city where I get full 4g bars, some where I get only 3g and some half 4g bars (like 1 or 2).
I want to get full 4g everywhere.

That's probably not possible no matter what you do. Some places just don't have as good of reception due to tower locations

wvdroidman

Reaction score
the thing is I can get 3g everywhere so why can't I get 4g everywhere?

OP
J

joshxdroid

Reaction score
wvdroidman said:
the thing is I can get 3g everywhere so why can't I get 4g everywhere?

That's typical. I don't think lte transmits as far as cdma. Or something way more technical than i understand

wvdroidman

Reaction score
So I won't ever have full coverage in my area unless they add more towers (which my city council i'm sure will object to.)?

syndicate0017

Silver Member
Reaction score
That's typical. I don't think lte transmits as far as cdma. Or something way more technical than i understand

LTE is actually a stronger signal. The reason is because he's in a fringe coverage area. The LTE coverage map is still expanding and not close to having the same amount of coverage as 3G.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

wvdroidman

Reaction score
This is the same city. I was at the laundromat and had full bars 4g. I live about 1 1/2 to 2 miles away and have 2 bars. My parents have full bars 3 1/2 miles away. I haven't checked the highway or wal mart yet.
But across the river has 3g only.

syndicate0017

Silver Member
Reaction score
This is the same city. I was at the laundromat and had full bars 4g. I live about 1 1/2 to 2 miles away and have 2 bars. My parents have full bars 3 1/2 miles away. I haven't checked the highway or wal mart yet.
But across the river has 3g only.

And your city is in fringe coverage (at least that's how it sounds). My city is the exact same way

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2