DNA reception AWFUL!

Gleason81

Reaction score
Just got my new DNA today, to replace my original Droid. Before I left the Verizon store, I asked the techie to make sure that the phone was getting 4G.

Went home and was shocked to see that the phone was getting only 1X. Tried adjusting settings, but no improvement. Called Verizon tech support. That techie walked me through a reboot; no change.

The techie then told me that I must be in a weak signal area, and Verizon could not guarantee 4g reception. I had no problem with not getting 4G -- but it wasn't getting 3G.

The techie said that when the phone can't get 4g, it drops down to 3g and if it can't get 3g it drops down to 1x.

I knew that of course; and I pointed out that my antique Droid had been getting 3g with no problem forever. The techie said the DNA wasn't able to pick up the signal from "inside your house." I told her that what she was really saying is that the DNA was not capable of pulling a 3g signal inside any building in my area, even though an obsolete Droid had no problem doing so.

She agreed with me that the only solution to my problem was to get another phone.

I told her that the ONLY reason that I had not gone for a Nexus 4 through T-Mobile was because I was counting on Verizon's superior coverage. Now it seems that the DNA is not capable of taking advantage of Verizon's superior coverage!

By the way, my wife just got an iPhone 5. I put her phone next to my new DNA. Her phone got 3g; the DNA got 1x.

Same with Verizon's JetPack 4620: It gets 3g while the DNA right next to it gets 1x.

I am in an area for which Verizon has been providing rock-solid, reliable 3g coverage for several years. Now Verizon's "flagship" android machine can't pick up the signal.

Forget the specs, forget the screen; concentrate on the basics. The DNA apparently sucks.

Soooooo...if a person is trying to decide between the DNA and the Nexus 4, and the person can no longer consider Verizon's superior LTE service because the DNA can't even reliably pick up 3g when 4g isn't available -- why not go for the T-Mobile with HSPA+ and a pure android machine? Or swallow the disappointment and get an iPhone.

Concentrate on the basics...Shoulda got a Moto phone if reception was a concern.

LunarSearch

Reaction score
Just got my new DNA today, to replace my original Droid. Before I left the Verizon store, I asked the techie to make sure that the phone was getting 4G.

Went home and was shocked to see that the phone was getting only 1X. Tried adjusting settings, but no improvement. Called Verizon tech support. That techie walked me through a reboot; no change.

The techie then told me that I must be in a weak signal area, and Verizon could not guarantee 4g reception. I had no problem with not getting 4G -- but it wasn't getting 3G.

The techie said that when the phone can't get 4g, it drops down to 3g and if it can't get 3g it drops down to 1x.
Forget the specs, forget the screen; concentrate on the basics. The DNA apparently sucks.

Soooooo...if a person is trying to decide between the DNA and the Nexus 4, and the person can no longer consider Verizon's superior LTE service because the DNA can't even reliably pick up 3g when 4g isn't available -- why not go for the T-Mobile with HSPA+ and a pure android machine? Or swallow the disappointment and get an iPhone.

I have had a nearly identical experience. However, I was told that I needed a signal booster! Hah. Reset SIM card ..La La La. What about that blazing speed and super coverage. None here. I have been back to the store three times. The first was within 30 days. Now they are willing to replace my phone. However, I paid $199.00 for this phone and they are replacing it with a USED, excuse me "re-built" phone what kind of #$%& is that. No never again verizon.

Last edited:

quadtronix

Reaction score
I've had my DNA for a week now and signal has never dropped from 4G that I'm aware of... I'm in NYC and signal has always held up on all my phones though. Love the DNA!!! :)

pblakk

Reaction score
I've had basically the best reception on my DNA out of many phones over a few years. My maxx hd actually got terrible reception at my house. so much for Motorola.

Psykho

Reaction score
I've had basically the best reception on my DNA out of many phones over a few years. My maxx hd actually got terrible reception at my house. so much for Motorola.

Agreed... My DNA has awesome reception I'm in Massachusetts and have 4g in most of the places I go regularly and 3g locks in fine when it needs to. I've never seen my DNA go to 1x.

kirok1999

Reaction score
2 days on the DNA coming from 2 years on the Thunderbolt. The bolt held a solid 4g signal every day of the 2 years and I'm in the middle of nowhere in a corn field. DNA only holds a 4g signal after it has sat still for a few minutes. Move it and it's back to 3g. So you might test orientation of the phone and once you get 4g, don't move. Compare the bolt 4g antenna to the Rezound, no contest, the Rezound's antenna is huge. If I put the DNA in my window I gain 2mb/s download speed. Best I've seen is 6 down, 3 up, same as the bolt but not as stable.

Dalvik_Cache

Super Moderator
Premium Member
Reaction score
It honestly sounds like a PRL issue. Let me try to throw this down: A PRL stands for preferred roaming list. A PRL dictates to your phone what towers it can, and cannot use, what bands, what frequencies, etc. What can happen sometimes is that your phone may have an outdated PRL, and you cant connect to all networks, in all places. The other kicker to that is that you can't update your PRL if you aren't on a Verizon tower. So, if you happen to live in an area where you are on a Verizon roaming partner (you typically wont know this), and your phone has a turd PRL then you will be down until you get to a Verizon tower and do an OTA. On LTE the OTA should be done if you simply reboot the phone. So, you might try power cycling the phone next time you happen to be in the area of the VZW store. If you want to PM me an address near you I can also tell you what towers are near you.

Also, install this app: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=jp.maruse.cellinf

When the app opens you will see a menu option to "Enable BS Tracker". Let it sit there and run for about 5 mins. Make sure you go ahead and move around the house like you normally would for that 5 min period. Once thats done hit menu > Email Log. Send the log to me, and Ill give you a better idea of whats going on. Ill PM you my email.

Last edited:

Droid DOES!!

What iDoesn't
Premium Member
Theme Developer
Reaction score
It honestly sounds like a PRL issue. Let me try to throw this down: A PRL stands for preferred roaming list. A PRL dictates to your phone what towers it can, and cannot use, what bands, what frequencies, etc. What can happen sometimes is that your phone may have an outdated PRL, and you cant connect to all networks, in all places. The other kicker to that is that you can't update your PRL if you aren't on a Verizon tower. So, if you happen to live in an area where you are on a Verizon roaming partner (you typically wont know this), and your phone has a turd PRL then you will be down until you get to a Verizon tower and do an OTA. On LTE the OTA should be done if you simply reboot the phone. So, you might try power cycling the phone next time you happen to be in the area of the VZW store. If you want to PM me an address near you I can also tell you what towers are near you.

This!!

Sent from my ADR6425LVW using Xparent ICS Tapatalk 2