Reception - How is yours indoors?

Droid66

Reaction score
Compared to my Droid 1, my Thunderbolt has about equal reception. One thing is, even with 1 bar I can always make a call where sometimes my Droid 1 would say it has 1-2 bars but not make a call/do data.

This kinda makes it seem like it's just a software problem(the signal bar reading wrong?) like how the battery % seems to be off on a lot of peoples phones. Just my .02

From my research on this, it appears that the different vendors are using different algorithms in determining how many bars to show. But, the Thunderbolts reception isn’t as good as some others. If you have a phone to compare with, on your phone, go to “Menu->Settings->About Phone->Network” Make note of the Signal Strength value. Compare this with the other device while placing them side by side. The path to this information on other phone may vary a little, but it still should be easily found.

The signal strength value is shown in dBm’s. The value will be a negative number. The more negative this value gets, the worse your reception is. My comparisons to a Droid X. The Droids value ranged from -94 to -98 dBm’s. The Thunderbolt ranged from -99 to -105 dBm’s in the same location. It’s not until it gets to -99 dBm’s that the Thunderbolt even displays a single “bar”. I do have a single, but the reception isn’t as good as this other phone.

Yep you have to go into setting and read the dbm's because the "bars" seem to read different between the Tbolt and D1. The D1 will show 3-4 bars while the Tbolt will show 1-2 bars and both phone will be showing the same dbm's.

I've noticed that signal is a little lower if I hold the bottom of the phone where as on the D1 it made no difference how I held it.

BigMcGuire

Reaction score
I've noticed that signal is a little lower if I hold the bottom of the phone where as on the D1 it made no difference how I held it.

Exactly, exactly, exactly! I wrapped my hands around the lower part of the phone and I can get the signal to drop a few bars. I noticed this too. I think the antenna is at the lower part of the phone and we're supposed to hold this phone near the top while on a call. Can anyone confirm this?

BGKris

Reaction score
Compared to my Droid 1, my Thunderbolt has about equal reception. One thing is, even with 1 bar I can always make a call where sometimes my Droid 1 would say it has 1-2 bars but not make a call/do data.

This kinda makes it seem like it's just a software problem(the signal bar reading wrong?) like how the battery % seems to be off on a lot of peoples phones. Just my .02

I agree with Jordan8 until an update comes. Plus I was told by a VZ rep there still optimizing towers which is prolli why the signal are weird and flip floppin 3G/4G. Good things come to those that wait :)

That's good news!!

Sent from my ADR6400L using Tapatalk

jntdroid

Super Moderator
Premium Member
Reaction score
I just did my "bathroom" test, and the signal on the D1 and TB, for me, were about the same there, as well... -103 to -105 on both.

trebb

Reaction score
I feel like every new phone I've gotten in the past few years has had this exact thread. Tour 9630, Droid 1 and Droid X. I've never had any issues with how they work.

Sent from my Thunderbolt

BigMcGuire

Reaction score
I feel like every new phone I've gotten in the past few years has had this exact thread. Tour 9630, Droid 1 and Droid X. I've never had any issues with how they work.

Sent from my Thunderbolt

Ditto, I remember this exact thread when I got the Droid 1 :). lol And I've seen it with every other phone too. Glad to see I'm not the only one with that dejavu feeling.

jntdroid

Super Moderator
Premium Member
Reaction score

Sent from my Thunderbolt

very good point...

Reaction score
No problems here.

I had this thunderbolt for about 1.5 weeks. I never dropped a call the voice quality is great. I've been compairing this phone to the LG revolution almost like everyday. (at the store) On the topic of reception I think it looks like it's getting a weak singal but it really is not. At the Verizon store the thunderbolt (mine and theirs) only regestered 2 bar the lg had 5. but as far as I know it works fine. I've tested this phone in the back of walmart, in my elevator, in the bathroom at the hilton hotel (that dropped) but it was in a weak area and the building was steal. But it worked fine in the lobby.

The only two issues I'm having with my thunderbolt (which is not really an issue) is at my house my internet connection constatnly switches from 3G to 4G however I'm right on the border and I asked would this happen with any phone with my circurimstances the answer was yes. So I just keep it on either 3G or 4G soly. the other issue is voice search does not work correctly with update. But I uninstalled update to voice search now my GPS and voice reconition is much better but I don't have commands. but I found an app that will let me do voice commands

I have not had reboot issues I have not had dropped calls (under most circomstances, I'm surfing fine and I'm near Fort Lauderdale FLA

tc3

Reaction score
One of the 1st things I noticed.

Outside 4 bars solid, step into most buildings and drops to no bars and often 1x

Sent from my ADR6400L using DroidForums

capt. dan

Reaction score
I just tested next to a Droid 2 Global. TB had -97 and D2G had -91. Is this a big difference?