Improve your battery life. (If Rooted)

Droid DOES!!

What iDoesn't
Premium Member
Theme Developer
Reaction score
+1

You're right, the battery has no memory, however, you're forgetting the phone does have memory when it comes to battery stats ;)

Yeah, but that has nothing to do with how long your battery life is. Your phone shuts off when your battery is out of juice. The only thing the battery stats affects is how much battery your phone "predicts" and displays to the user.

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

DroidForums junkie!!

Manigma77

Reaction score
You're right, the battery has no memory, however, you're forgetting the phone does have memory when it comes to battery stats ;)

Yeah, but that has nothing to do with how long your battery life is. Your phone shuts off when your battery is out of juice. The only thing the battery stats affects is how much battery your phone "predicts" and displays to the user.

Yes, but with that said, then it should be true that if your phone mis-predicts that your phone is at 0 too early then your phone will shut itself down too early as well.

SSHGuru

Silver Member
Reaction score
The battery stats are for visual use only they have nothing to do when the phone shuts down.

Yes, but with that said, then it should be true that if your phone mis-predicts that your phone is at 0 too early then your phone will shut itself down too early as well.

LifeIsABeach

Reaction score
Getting rid of the task manager was prob the biggest boost for you.

+1 This is the only useful info in the thread. The battery stats will not affect battery life. The reducing of screens probably won't either. The removing of widgets could depending on what the widgets were doing.

coker6303

Reaction score
I just did this, I'm hoping it calibrates the batter meter to match my extended battery. I have been doing a battery pull to reset the battery meter when it reaches zero, this usually bumps it back up to 60%

nateccnn

Reaction score
Your battery info file keeps track of what process has consumed the most from you battery so that you can make manual decisions about what services to run or shuit down to make your battery last longer. So you deleted the histroy and now have nothing to look at to tell us what was consuming your battery.

Do you really belive that a manfacturer as sophisticated as Motorola would write an algorythym to predict how much battery jucie is left based on histroical records? That algorythym would consume more power from the battery than to simply query the batteries amps and voltage values. Why would they do that?

When you calibrate your battery what you are doing is resetting the usage database. This can be useful if you have changed your usage patterns and want to see if it improved battery life.

Widgets consume a lot of power since they use your phone's radio to pick up new ads, gather weather data, update your data on the phone. This way you have instant access to the data for that widget. Turning them off consumes less battery, period. Also, turn off any sync settings that are not neccesary. If you absolutley have to know when someone posts something on your facebook the second they post it you will consume more battery life. If you can wait 15 minutes you will increase battery life dramatically.

Good luck with your theories.

Nate

Jordan8

Reaction score

If he's anything like me, he goes by what the phone is telling him. If my phone says it has 10% battery left, I charge it... I usually don't let it completely die. If it was "predicting" the wrong stats & I actually had more battery, I could of got more life.

nateccnn

Reaction score
Just to be fair, since I don't know exactly how the system queries the battery charge, I have charged it to 100%, deleted the Batterystats.bin file, rebooted and now waiting for it to drain completely. I will change nothing else on my phone. I usually end up with 50% to 60% battery left by the time I go home from work. I won't be able to test that until Wednesday. I will let it drain completely before I hook it up to a charger again...which should be around 8pm tonight. On Tuesday I will unplug it and use it as normal and should see the battery charge at 50-60% before I plug it in for charge again and then Wednesday I will see what happens.

See you Wednesday.

Nate

Detonation

Reaction score
Also a few other things that I did but probably not as neccesary. I uninstalled my task manager. I changed my home screen from having 3 to having 1, as I only use 1. I also removed several widgets that I just didnt use.

I also installed Titanium Backup and removed a few system items that I have no use for such as voice dial, google voice. ( But be warned you should know what your removing before hand as removing certain items could cause some things on your phone not to work.

This was probably the bigger factor in improving your battery life. You can't change a number of different things at the same time and then claim that just one of those things was the cause for improvement...

Fenway72

Reaction score
I tried this and it is 100% fail. Absolutely no difference in battery life.

Sent from my DROID2 using DroidForums App

nateccnn

Reaction score
Right on schedule...I am getting ready to go home from work and my battery indicator says 60%. Just like it always does. But we are not finished with the experiment. I need to fully discharge before I go to bed and then plug in the charge cord. See ya in the morning.

Nate

Jordan8

Reaction score
This isn't going to make a difference for everybody. I typically do this when I install a new rom. Id assume if you change batteries, e.g to an extended it would help to be done?

Sent from my DROIDX using DroidForums App

nateccnn

Reaction score
Interesting. This morning when I pulled the phone off the wall charger the indicator dropped immediately to 90%. It has never done that before. I always get a 100% charge and it takes almost an hour to deplete to 90%. So the process mentioned in the OP supposedly fixes the issue with battery drops to 90 percent right away but on my phone it did not. I wont say it caused this phenomena. But I will insinuate it :eek:)

Just sayin

Lets see if I get more than 12 hours of use and better than 60% battery left this evening. Anyone want in on the bet?

Nate

OP
cnmsales

cnmsales

Reaction score
Jordan exactly, this isnt going to help everyone. But for anyone whos battery stats are incorrect it should help a great deal.