Improve your battery life. (If Rooted)

cnmsales

Reaction score
Ok so there was a thread floating around here on how to improve battery life but I just cant find it so I thought id put this out there for others as feedback. This tip works so well that it really should be a sticky.

If you have clockwork recovery installed on your phone you can do this. Not sure if its possible with others.

Step1: Charge your battery till its full.
Step2: Reboot into recovery and go to the advanced menu. There will be a setting in there regarding deleting battry info or somehting along those lines. Select it.
Step3: Unplug the phone and let it drain until it dies. (Note: For me after doing this my battery seemed to drain faster then it was before YMMV)
Step4: Once dead recharge your phone all the way again.

Doing these steps took me from having to charge my phone every 6 hours or less to it lasting almost 2 days without a charge (Depending on use).

But as an example, yesterday was the first day on the fresh charge. I pulled it off the charger @ 8 AM. By 11 AM I had spent about an hour + on phone calls, checking facebook, News app. Pretty heavy use, and my phone still had 80% charge on it.

Also a few other things that I did but probably not as neccesary. I uninstalled my task manager. I changed my home screen from having 3 to having 1, as I only use 1. I also removed several widgets that I just didnt use.

I also installed Titanium Backup and removed a few system items that I have no use for such as voice dial, google voice. ( But be warned you should know what your removing before hand as removing certain items could cause some things on your phone not to work.

So if your having battery drain issues I would highly recomend giving these things a try. Especially the first one. I would bet money you will see a dramatic improvement. If you do try this please comment here your results.

OP
cnmsales

cnmsales

Reaction score
No worries. You will be blown away at how big a difference this makes. I unplugged my phone from charger @ 8am this morn and its now 1 and I still have full bars on battery.

au5tin222

Reaction score
Awesome tip! Will definitely have to try this. Thank you for the advice!

Sent from my Droid using DroidForums App

kingsway8605

Reaction score
I assure you the clockwork step is purely psychological. As an electrical engineer I can tell you that lithium ion batteries do not have memory. The home screen reduction and the elimination of widgets are the source of the battery life increase.

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

Jer

Reaction score
Can this be done by swapping batteries? In other words, can I put in a fully charged battery right in now, do the process and then run it until the phone dies and then instead of charging can I just swap in a charged battery again? I want to try this but don't want it to decide to die or be near dead at an inopportune time.

Droid DOES!!

What iDoesn't
Premium Member
Theme Developer
Reaction score
Sure can! :)

Can this be done by swapping batteries? In other words, can I put in a fully charged battery right in now, do the process and then run it until the phone dies and then instead of charging can I just swap in a charged battery again? I want to try this but don't want it to decide to die or be near dead at an inopportune time.

DroidForums junkie!!

crazyjoker2

Reaction score
I assure you the clockwork step is purely psychological. As an electrical engineer I can tell you that lithium ion batteries do not have memory.

very true, they are best kept charged.

OP
cnmsales

cnmsales

Reaction score
LOL, believe what you want. I have had zero widgets before. THIS absolutely made a difference. Im going on almost 24 hours on one battery charge. Before it was 6 hrs. If you think removing a few widgets made that big a difference then you need to reevaluate your opinion.

Relex

Reaction score
Thanks for the tip, I started using the charity rom and that made a big difference for battery life as well.

billyidle

Reaction score
You're right, the battery has no memory, however, you're forgetting the phone does have memory when it comes to battery stats ;)

Dan_08

Reaction score
Getting rid of the task manager was prob the biggest boost for you.

kingsway8605

Reaction score
You're right, the battery has no memory, however, you're forgetting the phone does have memory when it comes to battery stats ;)

Yeah, but that has nothing to do with how long your battery life is. Your phone shuts off when your battery is out of juice. The only thing the battery stats affects is how much battery your phone "predicts" and displays to the user.