My 2nd trip with the Droid. Battery life an issue.

Discussion in 'Android General Discussions' started by wil318466, Feb 25, 2010.

1. MrCapcom

MrCapcom Member

Ratings:
    +0
  2. Technoman

Technoman Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I have one of these that I bought for my old LG phone, and it worked quite well. Not sure how well it would work with a Smart phone, but you for sure would not want to have the phone doing anything while trying to charge it.

Energizer also makes a Lithium Pack with 2 USB slots for remote charging. Looks like it is much less than the other device mentioned in the earlier part of this thread.
    Energizer® Energi To Go® Rechargeable Power Packs | XP4001 Power Pack

3. ChevyNo1

ChevyNo1 Premium Member
    Premium Member Developer

Ratings:
    +5
  4. LifeIsABeach

LifeIsABeach Active Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I use my phone lightly and it lasts two days, not 8-10 hours. I agree with others that the battery may be bad. Do you have the brightness turned down? What does the battery usage say is using most of your battery life.

5. BostonBill

BostonBill Member

Ratings:
    +0
    There definitely are big differences in opinion on the Droid's battery life. Like the op, I can run my down quite quickly. I compare it to more like using a laptop than just as a phone. Turn by turn nav is a killler. Without A car charger, I would never use it. The Zagg Sparq has been on sale a couple of times for $50 -$60. They claim 4 full charges on an iphone. My experience has been I can get three charges after my phone gets down to 30%. They have had some problems with quality control. It says out of stock if you go to the order page. They are coming out with a new version next month. I look forward to it. I use a body glove with mine and would rather use a device like the Zagg then fumbling around with the case etc. That's just me though.

6. ldimick

ldimick Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I took a 2500 mile trip 3 weeks ago with mine and my experience was almost exactly like yours. Althought I did find that if I kept it plugged into the car adapter I always had more than enought power to keep it fully charged. The worst was in New Mexico. I doubt that a single tower in that entire state is owned by Verizon.

I used it for calls, texting, GPS, Google Locate, palying MP3s, tethering, etc. I worked it hard. I know my iPhone could not have kept up with what I did to my Droid.

And I had a Sparq. It died the second day of the trip and I have been waiting for a replacement. So far I have been run around in more circles than a Nascar driver. I will give them one more week to fix (replace) this issue before I take it public.

7. Stormwing

Stormwing Member

Ratings:
    +0
  8. BostonBill

BostonBill Member

Ratings:
    +0
    And I had a Sparq. It died the second day of the trip and I have been waiting for a replacement. So far I have been run around in more circles than a Nascar driver. I will give them one more week to fix (replace) this issue before I take it public.[/QUOTE]

They told me they took the current model off sale and that the the one wouldn't be ready until the end of next month.

9. Champers

Champers Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I agree, the Droid can be quite a power hungry little beast. I was just testing how much battery it drained to play a video and I was honestly shocked.

BT: Off
    GPS: Off
    Wifi: Off
    Brightness: 50%
    Sound: 100% (Speaker)
    Keyboard backlight on

and it drained from 70%-->20% in 1:48

10. CorvetteAustin24

Ratings:
    +0
    I played the whole first matrix with audio maxed with headphones, drained from 100% to 60%. Auto brightness enabled. Sounds like you guys either have bad phones, bad battery, or something else going on.

11. ldimick

ldimick Member

Ratings:
    +0
    No, there is nothing wrong with our batteries. When you are not within a 3G cell tower your battery WILL drain faster as it searches for service. It will drain faster as you use the GPS, etc.

I have mine optimized to where I can play games and do normal things every day. After 11 hours my battery is only drained 50%

In fact, you can extend your battery life even more by rooting your droid and reducing your CPU speed when you are playing MP3s.

12. CorvetteAustin24

Ratings:
    +0

The ones complaining in this thread don't mention being outside tower range. I get that logical fact, same with GPS.