No joke. How I doubled my battery life

OP
samiusmc

samiusmc

Reaction score
you say normal usage and yet you show no call usage in your stats of battery use....

I get more then two hours of display in 8 hours.... so you just aren't using the droid enough... lol

You're right. I didn't get any calls. As far as the other usage goes, I did reboot the Droid yesterday so I don't know if that affects the times displayed. BTW, it's been running for over 26 hours now and I still have 10% left.

hookbill

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
i was wondering if rooting/roms affects the battery that drastically too. im using adamz low voltage kernel and it seemed to help, but only slightly

Could be different reasons for this. I have been rooted for some time and rootings with over clocking actually increased my battery life. Of course I use Set Cpu and have it throttle back to about 125mhz when the phone is idle, but otherwise I run everything the same.

With the exception of some bad batteries, I believe it is a matter of your settings and the apps you are running.

I had droidmod overclocked and set CPU and there is no doubt that it had a negative effect on my battery. Its the main reason I still run stock.

ctsv510

Reaction score
I followed these instructions for conditioning the battery and noticed a definite increase in battery life. I wouldn't say that it doubled the battery life, but I would guess 30-40% more than I was getting. This was after I had the phone for a week and a half.

And no I don't have any data to back that up, its just an estimate.

SGTiger

Reaction score
I had droidmod overclocked and set CPU and there is no doubt that it had a negative effect on my battery. Its the main reason I still run stock.

You do know that setcpu has profiles that help save the battery when the phone is not in use, right? The settings in these profiles are very important. The blackdroid forum has a great thread on these settings.

Also whenever I see another one of your threads extolling the virtues of stock, I repeatedly ask you if you realize that the newer ESE53 roms are head and shoulders above the Droidmod rom that you were using. Since you are a mod, wouldn't you like to try the newest roms so you can better advise those who read your many posts regarding rooting, roms, and overclocking?

No offense intended, just curious. I used to run the Droidmod rom and it does not compare with BlackDroid's latest offerings.

mjs31

Reaction score
i was wondering if rooting/roms affects the battery that drastically too. im using adamz low voltage kernel and it seemed to help, but only slightly

Could be different reasons for this. I have been rooted for some time and rootings with over clocking actually increased my battery life. Of course I use Set Cpu and have it throttle back to about 125mhz when the phone is idle, but otherwise I run everything the same.

With the exception of some bad batteries, I believe it is a matter of your settings and the apps you are running.

I just don't buy that if you have set cpu profiles set up correctly. Just running OC without profiles, yes, but using profiles should not cause your issues. To say that rooting causes it would be incorrect. It is all about settings for both rooted and non rooted phones.

DessoThumbs

Reaction score
I use my droid all day long for many things And when i dropped it in the multimedia dock at night it still has 20 percent battery left, so I'm good. I get better battery performance now that I'm rooted and overclocked. Of course, I still have 3 additional chargers.

cisco0910

Reaction score
We can charge the battery with the phone off to the op. Plug droid in and while plugged in power off. It won't turn back on unless you hit top button or you unplug power cable then reinsert

dragonfly1113

Reaction score
I thought I would share this in case anyone else has similar issues:

I bought my Droid in November. At the time, I was unaware of how to care for the battery or any tips to extend its life. Subsequently, I came across a brief tip guide from Verizon illustrating how to extend the Droid's battery life (I’m posting a copy of the guide here). I also read posts on this forum regarding "conditioning the battery" which included the tips in the Verizon guide. I looked into this because my battery was lasting for about 8-9 hours. I thought that was good until I read about some users getting significantly better battery life. I wondered if I may have unintentionally damaged the original battery because I didn’t know how to care for it or if I had a defective battery.

I wanted to make a fresh start with my battery since I was now more educated. I decided to buy a brand new OEM battery from Amazon for about $15.00. I followed all the tips in the Verizon guide as well as what I read on this forum (charging for 24 hours, letting it discharge completely twice, etc.). The guide is confusing since it instructs the reader to charge the Droid while it’s off which is impossible. Regardless, I charged it for 24 hours with the Droid on, let it drain until the Droid turned off and repeated a second time.

I've had the battery for a week now. Currently, my Droid has been running for 24 hours without charging. With typical usage yesterday and today, as well as leaving it on all night, I still have 20% battery life remaining. This was unheard of before I bought the new battery. The day before my battery lasted 19 hours.

Like I said, I'm posting this for information. I don't have anything to do with selling batteries and I don't care where or if you get one.

Just ordered my new battery and that battery only charger so that i can just run with 2 batteries and also test out this method you speak of. hopefully it works i do text alot and play music on the droid alot my normal usage before it dies is around 8 or so hours, testing today for an exact number of hours it will stay alive with normal usage (texting, and web browsing) will post update when i get the new battery and the charger thing hopefully by tomorrow :)

Mamaperk

Reaction score
We can charge the battery with the phone off to the op. Plug droid in and while plugged in power off. It won't turn back on unless you hit top button or you unplug power cable then reinsert

Mine immediately restarts without doing anything ... tried doing what you said here just to double check. It was plugged in so I powered off and didn't touch anything ... came right back on! I cannot charge it while it's off.

Darkseider

Reaction score

I respectfully disagree with that. When I plug in to charge and shut the phone OFF using the top button it just turns back on, all by itself. It has done this since day one.

DVR6

Reaction score
Charging for 24 hrs is not really needed. The batteries are lipoly so when they are charged they are done. No such thing as a trickle with these batteries. Stock charger charges the battery in about 3-4 hours tops. Once that's done, that's it. The charger dissconnects.

Last edited:
OP
samiusmc

samiusmc

Reaction score

I tried what you said and my Droid turns back on. Others are saying the same thing. I still say there's no way to charge the Droid while it's off. Even the main Droid user's manual says that the "Droid is always on when charging" so you may have an issue with yours.

dragonfly1113

Reaction score
I tried what you said and my Droid turns back on. Others are saying the same thing. I still say there's no way to charge the Droid while it's off. Even the main Droid user's manual says that the "Droid is always on when charging" so you may have an issue with yours.

I beg to differ, the way im gunna do it but its a way around that, bought a battery and a battery only charger :) than the phone wont be using the battery while it charges it will be in a different cradle, while i use another battery for the actual phone :)

Reaction score
i can turn my phone off while its plugged in. but the led light goes off which means its not charging. also has anyone noticed a difference in charging speed when plugged into computer vs plugged into wall outlet? i am definitley going to try this though i was under the impression this was common advice for a new battery. not one thats been used..