Battery sucks after update

Discussion in 'Android General Discussions' started by zz500, Dec 11, 2009.

1. ScooberJake

ScooberJake New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I too noticed significantly reduced battery usage after the update, though it wasn't fantastic before the update. Does this somehow make me an idiot? In fact there are LOTS of things happening behind the scenes, but none of them are magic.

Before, a full day off charger (16 hrs) and normal usage for me (a few phone calls, maybe download a few apps, check email every hour or two, a few txts, and a little bit of browsing, Locale w/ GPS all day) I would be down to 10-20%.

Today, I have been off charger for 5 hrs. No phone calls, one txt received, checked email a time or two, no browsing or app downloading, and I am down to 40%. This is based on the battery widget and spare parts, both agree.

But the phone is definitely doing something different. Before, the screen was by far the biggest user of battery. Today, I am getting:

Email - 20%
    Locale - 18%
    Android OS - 15%
    Android System - 14%
    Phone Idle - 14%
    Cell Stand-by - 10%
    Display - 5%

So something definitely changed for me. No new apps. I did update apps after the Droid update when those came through, but my problem appears to be with Email, which shouldn't be affected by those. Spare parts also says that Email is by far the biggest partial wake user. I am in the process of switching from Hotmail to Gmail, so I may try turning off the Email sync. But first I will pull the battery and reset the phone (*228 or whatever). Will try to report back.

Condescending and derrogative replies from those who think they are smarter than me simply because their device isn't having the same problem are not welcome. Thanks.

2. arcsum68

arcsum68 Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Well put scoober. I would like to add, the main reason I join forums is because the collective is stronger than the individual. If we DIDNT post that we were having a problem then we might never know of the fix and assume that nobody else did. Thanks to the mod for taking charge.

Back on topic.

1d 1h 17mins since unplugged and I am sitting at 20%, so my battery life has definitely improved since doing the PRL update and battery pull. I think I am now seeing the improvements the majority were seeing. Its not a TRUE test because I did do some market updates, other than that the usage has been pretty standard for a light user consisting of

20 calls
    20 txt's
    bluetooth on
    couple market updates
    some light bathroom browsing
    koxx weather widget donate with current and auto refreshed location and 30min updates
    194x unlocking my phone because its beautiful and I like to play with it

#74 arcsum68, Dec 14, 2009
    Last edited: Dec 14, 2009
  3. Hooblaim

Hooblaim Member

Ratings:
    +0
    For me I fully charge before going to bed and then when I woke up it was at 80%! Well last night I kept on the charger until 6:30 this morning and about an hour or two of wifi use and redst standby and now its 3:46 with 50% battery. Is this a bad battery?

4. gdoane

gdoane Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I've read several posts that suggested turning off wi-fi to extend battery life and I don't get why. My experience with wi-fi is that the phone rocks with it on, it's at least five times faster and if it's transceiving to/from my router that's no distance at all, 40-50 feet.

I have an iPod Touch (I know, the enemy, LOL) and it's running wi-fi all the time with no real loss of battery life. I actually got into the habit of using it as my de facto TV Guide which is something the Droid is going to be pressed into service for (it does have a nicer screen) but I'd think wi-fi on would save battery life, not burn it.

The way I understand the data transfers, the phone has to ask for data.

Phone: "Give me data, please"

Then the provider has to say "okay".

Provider: "Okay"

Then there's a total protocol where the provider and the phone communicate where they handshake and say "did you get the data?" and "I got the data" back and forth, which I'd think would take a lot less power on wi-fi than it does over a 3G network. After all, radios talking 50 feet don't need as much juice as radios talking several miles.

The way I use my Droid, which is near a Wi-Fi hot spot probably more than half the time, I'm keeping Wi-Fi on. The phone is faster on Wi-Fi, and I don't see how it really does anything but SAVE battery life.

5. Hooblaim

Hooblaim Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Sam here I hav an itouch and it never drains battery that much on wifi and also the standby on my itouch is amazing, I don't loose 20% fo having it in airplane mode over night.

6. raven1911

raven1911 Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Ok..looks like I will be the first to post apps.
    Viz battery
    Aldiko
    Astro
    Backgrounds
    Barcode scanner
    Bartender
    Car loan basic
    Cardio trainer
    Digital clock widget
    Dock runner
    Dowload crutch
    Fishn2go
    Google goggles
    Google sky map
    Handcent
    Home switcher
    Home ++ beta
    Internal memory widget
    Jewels log collector
    Mototorch led
    My tracks
    Panda beta
    Pandora
    PdaNet
    % calculater
    Places directory
    Poke a mole
    Remindme
    Robodefense
    Sd card memory widget
    Shazam
    Shop savvy
    Shot tracker
    Sportstap
    Weather channel (had weatherbug but deleted couple days ago)
    Tipper
    Where
    I don't have gps,wifi or BT on. Screen brightness is pretty low. I will try the *228 update tonite.

#78 raven1911, Dec 14, 2009
    Last edited: Dec 14, 2009
  7. kdhpga

kdhpga New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I haven't changed anything since the update and my battery is dying overnight when it never did before. Love the phone but hope the battery issue gets resolved.

8. pichinco

pichinco New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I'm roaming and stuck with PRL version 51638. I was able to get the update by downloading it to my SD card and installing it that way. I'm not sure how to get the updated PRL version. I was hoping that would help with my battery life. I'm another who saw a bit of a decrease with the update.

Any ideas how to get the newer PRL? I turned on wireless hoping to get it that way, but no luck so far.

9. Hooblaim

Hooblaim Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Thank god I got that prl. Guess my battery isn't that bad as some people.

10. fr4c

fr4c Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Dial *228 on your phone, then option 2. This updates your PRL.

11. backlash

backlash Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I just started using Timeriffic to set certain modes at certain times of the day. Before when I would charge at night and take it off, usually before 10pm, by morning time, I would have dropped to 90% already. Last night I used Timeriffic to put the phone in airplane mode from 10pm to 7am, when I woke up this morning, I still had 100% charge. When 8am hit, I dropped down to 90%, meh.

12. Hooblaim

Hooblaim Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Mine drained in airplane mode because I put it inbefore I slept but again it was the first day I got it.

Search tags for this page
android, virus battery, eater
battery sucks s5 after update
battry life sucks after update

droid charge os update sucks

droid dna excessive batery usage after update
update android 4.4 battery sucks