Battery sucks after update

keiichi25

Reaction score
Weather channel? That's really just a web short cut.

Does anyone else want to see this thread just die?

Actually, I much rather people know what is going on and try to find proper solutions to the issue instead of blaming the OTA update making battery life worse.

While the update may have change how an app does something or a process people were used to doing things, the one thing that a Tech person like me, is try and find out what is causing some of these issues for some people. I mean, I am one who is sitting at 40% battery right now showing a 2d 1 hour and some odd minutes, but others are having like barely 8 hours on the same update. To me, this makes no sense and it doesn't seem to me to be a bad battery but something else that is causing a battery drain.

While it isn't "my problem", the tech in me wants to figure out how best to figure out what is causing the problem and making it stop so people don't go on the belief that the problem is with the device but something else. And I can't fault the OTA at the moment because it would be much more uniformed than just some of the users. The only thing left is the other apps and how they are configured that may contribute to the issue.

keiichi25

Reaction score
aosman,

Here is what apps we have in common....

Astro
barcode scanner
backgrounds
goggles
sky map
PdaNet
Places
Poke a Mole
Robodefense
Shazam
Shop savvy
weather channel

I believe the only one that would want constant flow of battery juice is weather channel? I had weather bug installed before the update and got rid of it because I thought it was hogging my battery. Any other ideas? I really need to figure this out.

I forgot to mention - Eliminate Shazam, Shop Savvy and Barcode Scanner from your list. Those I have and do not seem to be the problem, so now the next level is what of those programs seem to be causing the drain issue. Although if you configured those programs beyond the base line, let's look at those configurations (Baseline being the installed, not modified settings).

raven1911

Reaction score
aosman,

Astro
barcode scanner
backgrounds
goggles
sky map
PdaNet
Places
Poke a Mole
Robodefense
Shazam
Shop savvy
weather channel

I believe the only one that would want constant flow of battery juice is weather channel? I had weather bug installed before the update and got rid of it because I thought it was hogging my battery. Any other ideas? I really need to figure this out.

Weather channel? That's really just a web short cut.

Does anyone else want to see this thread just die?

Weather channel is a widget on my phone and is constantly using the GPS and giving me my updated weather. This surely takes battery juice to run and its not just a web short cut. It updates the weather every 5 min and I know it is bouncing a signal back and forth between my phone and somewhere else.

And I would bet if you had this problem you wouldn't want this thread to die. I would say after 10 pages on a thread, that there is significant traffic and interest in a common problem shared by many. Isn't that what this forum is for? If you don't have the problem and don't want to read the thread then stop coming here.

Last edited:

raven1911

Reaction score
aosman,

Astro
backgrounds
goggles
sky map
PdaNet
Places
Poke a Mole
Robodefense
weather channel

Here is the updated list of apps that we have in common. I am thinking it might be Places or Weather Channel. I don't use Places much at all. Weather Channel updates every 5 minutes if you have "my location" checked. Weird though. Anyone else want to chime in here?

keiichi25

Reaction score
aosman,

Astro
backgrounds
goggles
sky map
PdaNet
Places
Poke a Mole
Robodefense
weather channel

Here is the updated list of apps that we have in common. I am thinking it might be Places or Weather Channel. I don't use Places much at all. Weather Channel updates every 5 minutes if you have "my location" checked. Weird though. Anyone else want to chime in here?

Check also what your battery usage is before you recharge your droid, write down what seems to be using the battery the most since the last time you charge.

DaHarder

Reaction score
Lucky Me...

My DROID has never displayed any battery autonomy issues, and appears to be even better post 2.0.1. update.

Couldn't Be Happier With My DROID!​

heavyMGS

Reaction score
Dial *228 on your phone, then option 2. This updates your PRL.

Won't work as I'm roaming. *228 gets me the service provider that I'm roaming off of.

You need to find a Digital Coverage Area Close by. Manual Programming may work as well but I would ask the VZW Tech in his thread first. If you call VZW they would be able to tell you where the closest digital coverage area is. Best of luck.

I'm gonna post my poor BATT since the update stats tomorrow and hopefully get some feedback. I am one of the cats who does NOT want this thread to die..