I'm thinking of getting an iPhone 4S

Imprisoned

Reaction score
I don't know what you guys mean by you can't customize the iphone. There are people at my work that have the iphone 4's hacked to the max. They have live wallpapers, when they scroll there screens the icons roll, they can go in all directions from there home screens not just sideways. They have custom everything, they jail broke there phones and have crazy custom interfaces.

I've never owned any smart phone other than a Droid, but there hacked iphones do a lot more than my Droid X do. One guy some how can play flash videos in the web browser. Don't know if he added flash some how or what. I will see if they'll let me take a video of the phone with my DX and upload the stuff there phone does. Now they said they have IOS4 and won't update to IOS 5 until all hacks are out for it which might be six months, who knows but there phones are custom for sure.

czerdrill

Silver Member
Reaction score
I don't know what you guys mean by you can't customize the iphone. There are people at my work that have the iphone 4's hacked to the max. They have live wallpapers, when they scroll there screens the icons roll, they can go in all directions from there home screens not just sideways. They have custom everything, they jail broke there phones and have crazy custom interfaces.

I've never owned any smart phone other than a Droid, but there hacked iphones do a lot more than my Droid X do. One guy some how can play flash videos in the web browser. Don't know if he added flash some how or what. I will see if they'll let me take a video of the phone with my DX and upload the stuff there phone does. Now they said they have IOS4 and won't update to IOS 5 until all hacks are out for it which might be six months, who knows but there phones are custom for sure.

Well for me, I was talking stock vs stock. There's far more things you can customize with a stock android then you can with a stock iPhone. However, if you jailbreak the iPhone yes you can do a ton of stuff. The cyida/jailbreak community is huge and you can make your iphone pretty unique once you jailbreak.

nygrich

Reaction score
Nobody said anything about hacking phones, straight out of the box android phones can b customized more than any iPhone. Even a jailbroken iPhone can't touch a rooted or non rooted Droid in my opinion. IPhones r nice but not in the same category

Sent from my DROID X2 using DroidForums

MissionImprobable

Silver Member
Reaction score

I have seen a lot of things done with iPhones as well, but everything you mentioned can be done on the Android operating system and then some. I've seen Apple computers with quite a bit of customization also, but they don't equal the level of what can be done with open-source programming for Windows, Linux, etc, nor can iOS equal that of Android. The inherent stability of iOS comes from the intentional inability to control what can and cannot be altered. As czerdrill, myself, and others said, if you're not a big tweaker OR you don't mind being limited in what modding you can do the iPhones are great and anyone who says otherwise is ignoring the facts. For modding the phone into something completely your own and even easily making apps and widgets for others to do so, Android wins the distance race everytime.

Imprisoned

Reaction score
I have seen a lot of things done with iPhones as well, but everything you mentioned can be done on the Android operating system and then some. I've seen Apple computers with quite a bit of customization also, but they don't equal the level of what can be done with open-source programming for Windows, Linux, etc, nor can iOS equal that of Android. The inherent stability of iOS comes from the intentional inability to control what can and cannot be altered. As czerdrill, myself, and others said, if you're not a big tweaker OR you don't mind being limited in what modding you can do the iPhones are great and anyone who says otherwise is ignoring the facts. For modding the phone into something completely your own and even easily making apps and widgets for others to do so, Android wins the distance race everytime.

I misunderstood you guys, I thought you guys meant you couldn't customized iphones with mods because apple wouldn't let them. So my reply was based on what I've seen my co workers iphones do, I admit I know nothing about modding any phone, and have never owned a Iphone so I don't know much about those either stock or modded.

I like the android platform and wish I knew how to mod my DX to make my icons roll when I scrolled the screens. I will be getting either the new Droid razor or the Prime or what ever it's called when they release and I plan on learning to modd/hack on my DX so if I brick it no big deal. I don't care about the free hot spots or free apps, i just want to be able to customize my phone and truly make it mine.

MissionImprobable

Silver Member
Reaction score
If you just want your icons to roll, Launcher Pro, ADW Launcher, and Go Launcher all allow you to roll between homescreens and up to five total. Modding is far easier than it seems, and most of the long write-ups you see are to emphasize all the options and give explicit warnings about areas in which you need to be careful. Once you get into it you'll wonder why you didn't start sooner. So long as your battery has a charge I've yet to see a phone that was truly bricked by a modding error. Fun times ahead.

AllenFox

Reaction score
Display eats 80% of the battery... so widgets are not in display? I have to charge my phone whole freakin day .. If its 100% done .. I play a game for 40 45mins and battery is down to 30%.. wth? iPhone is better in battery usage..

kodiak799

Gold Member
Reaction score
Display eats 80% of the battery... so widgets are not in display?

Ummm, not exactly. The pixels take the same amount of power whether they are showing your background wallpaper or a widget, so the widget has nothing to do with it . I'm sure there are a few rogue widgets out there, and I'm sure a few come with default settings that update too frequently, but I've never had issue. It seems to be mostly ignorance propagated by Ifanboys because IOS doesn't have widgets (because how else can you not admit widgets are awesome, even if not for you?). Heck, with my overloaded home theme I have services that update widgets constantly restarting and being killed and it STILL doesn't show in my battery usage.

dezymond

Tech Support Mod
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel
was messing around with the 4s in the store the other day. it is a very nice phone and quite snappy, but it was not for me. it just seemed so dated compared to android and will be even more dated once ics drops. had to mess around with since my parents are considering getting them and that means id have to explain tothem how to use it. its a very straightforward os but its not forme, i love my widgets.

its a great phone and os but like any phone its subjective. its simple and it can definitely be operated by the least tech savvy person, cant say the same about android unfortunately.

MissionImprobable

Silver Member
Reaction score
Display eats 80% of the battery... so widgets are not in display? I have to charge my phone whole freakin day .. If its 100% done .. I play a game for 40 45mins and battery is down to 30%.. wth? iPhone is better in battery usage..

iPhone doesn't allow multi-tasking or processes to run in the background and also auto shuts-off the screen after being idle for a short time so of course the battery will last longer. If your battery is that low after playing for so short a time then I'm guessing you have brightness all the way up. I promise you that will eat up the battery on any phone, especially considering that the iPhone has been measured to have a slightly brighter screen at maximum setting.

All my other gripes aside, having a phone that I have to run a script on just so it doesn't keep dimming the screen before I tell it to would bug the hell out of me. Maybe they finally fixed that issue on the newest update, but if not it's something that I can't understand Apple still not addressing as often as it's complained about.

huskyhavok

Reaction score
I love the navigation, the customization, and the speed of the internet of my droids but I'm sort of on the same boat as the creator of this thread. I had the og droid the first week it came out and my gf had the i phone 3gs. I was unhappy with the og droid because it froze so much on me and during the navigation it would just randomly restart (I think because the phone would over heat?). I tried it rooted and unrooted and it just wasn't the phone for me so I went on craigslist and bought a HTC Incredible. It was a lot better and i was kind of happy. The battery life would die once a day so I would need a midday charge because no matter how many times I would use the task manager to turn off apps, they would always auto restart. I lost that phone and got a samsung charge and it's the phone that I have now. It's amazingly fast for a web browser but aside from that and the bigger screen it sucks in my opnion. The battery life is worse than the OG Droid due to the 4g LTE and it laggs. The 8mp camera isn't good. The pictures on it aren't as nice as the i phone 3gs and i don't even want to compare them to the newer ones. I know droid is fully customizable and that's why I love them but at the end of the day when my phone has been dead for 3 hours and my gf is still using hers and playing games with 30% battery left when all i did on my phone was text during the day it pisses me off. Lastly I hate how droids come out with a new one every few months. Doesn't it piss you guys off that the droid bionic just came out and they put the RAZR out a few months after? Doesn't that ruin the resale value of the phone? My gf's 3gs sold for 200 on craigslist which is a 2 year old phone and my Charge when i upgrade will be worth probably 250 and i had it for 4 months? I am waiting for the nexus and will try to take a look at it but if the battery life is anything like the other 4g droids i'm sad to say i might just jump ship. I'm praying the galaxy nexus will be the one to keep me on droid!