Droid demand when Iphone comes out...

estilo

Reaction score
Anyone else thought about this? Think of all the Android-based phones (any variation) flooding the market as people upgrade to the Iphone. It will probably make an Android-based more affordable, especially buying it outright. I can see the overall price of Android-based phones going down, at least under some of the more advanced models are released. Also, there needs to be a small Android-based phone to compete with the Iphone. Some of them are just plain huge, the X for example. Incredible is small, but still larger than the Iphone.

What's everyone else think of this?

motoconvert

Reaction score
I honestly don't understand all the hype about the iPhone. What can it do that a Droid can't? I mean, when it first came out, sure. But I just don't get it. Android is a toddler in the cell phone market, yea...but you have to give it time to grow up.

I for one will not be jumping ship! I'm gonna be a rebel, and not do what all the "cool kids" are doing! I wanna be different!

Sent from my Droid using DroidForums App

delcopa

Reaction score
Just remember the iPhone will also sill have Apple saying what you can and can't do to it and what you can and can't load on it too.

Droid is pretty open even without root

iPhone needs Jailbreak to even come close.

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
I don't think it will force android phones down in price. I don't think that a ton of android users will be switching, if only ten percent of us are rooted then only 10 percent of 10 percent of us will be switching over. The real cash cow here for Verizon is the people who have been scared of android and haven't made the jump to a smart phone yet.

kodiak799

Gold Member
Reaction score
Not going to happen. The new tech will still run north of $600.

Now, there will be plenty of decent phones "flooding" the market. 5% switchers (which may be high, honestly) would still be something like 750k phones. But how many of those phones make the market remains to be seen, since they provide a handy replacement and are still wifi-capable and have plenty of other uses (mine will become a smartalarm clock).

I personally don't get the awe for the IPhone. Yeah, it's a fantastic brand and a good phone, but some people seem to be IPhone-fearing (for lack of a better term). I mean, I read a lot of comments where basically all I hear is "The IPhone is 7 foot tall, it is, and it will consume Android with fire from its eyes and bolts of lighting from its arse"

OP
E

estilo

Reaction score
Never understood why so many are the "helm of awe" for it as well.

With that said, even 5% switch from any Android-phone to Iphone on Verizon, is going to leave a lot of unused Android phones. Expect ebay to be flooded soon. I think that's why Verizon has that phone buy-back program. They don't want people making extra money off them, and they want that money. So they give you store credit for turning in your phone, lol.

garrett

Silver Member
Developer
Theme Developer
Reaction score
according to MSNBC verizon android sales have dropped by almost 65% since the announcement of the iphones and they are getting record number of returns for people that are within the 30 day return period. These numbers really don't surprise me.

then again its MSNBC so i take most of what they say with a grain of salt.

to be quite honest most of verizon's android users want an iphone but they didnt want to switch to AT&T so they got the closest thing to an iphone they could.

czerdrill

Silver Member
Reaction score
Verizon releases their first iphone commercial..It begins haha...kind of a lame commercial though...but I'm sure it's one of many to come

[video=youtube;FlN3BgsV1nc]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FlN3BgsV1nc&feature=player_embedded[/video]

czerdrill

Silver Member
Reaction score
according to MSNBC verizon android sales have dropped by almost 65% since the announcement of the iphones and they are getting record number of returns for people that are within the 30 day return period. These numbers really don't surprise me.

to be quite honest most of verizon's android users want an iphone but they didnt want to switch to AT&T so they got the closest thing to an iphone they could.

do you have a link to that report? those numbers seem a little crazy, and i dont know how true it is haha...but i would like to read the article if you have it...

garrett

Silver Member
Developer
Theme Developer
Reaction score

do you have a link to that report? those numbers seem a little crazy, and i dont know how true it is haha...but i would like to read the article if you have it...

i don't i just saw the tail end of it on this mornings broadcast.

czerdrill

Silver Member
Reaction score

i don't i just saw the tail end of it on this mornings broadcast.

ohh ok, i thought it was something that you read. Thanks

kodiak799

Gold Member
Reaction score

Maybe not that crazy. Post-holiday period is always slow, although I do find it hard to believe VZW would leak sales numbers for just a few week period, for starters it could simply be noise.

Also, several high-end phones were shown at CES and coming in a few months, so that's probably contributing. As for record returns, well if 1 was the previous record 2 would be a new record. Obviously way more than that, but as a statement without the data it doesn't mean much.

Then I've seen report of as many as 35% of IPhone users switching from AT&T, and then maybe as low as 15%. Heck, that's only a difference of like 3.5M phones.

czerdrill

Silver Member
Reaction score

Maybe not that crazy. Post-holiday period is always slow, although I do find it hard to believe VZW would leak sales numbers for just a few week period, for starters it could simply be noise.

Also, several high-end phones were shown at CES and coming in a few months, so that's probably contributing. As for record returns, well if 1 was the previous record 2 would be a new record. Obviously way more than that, but as a statement without the data it doesn't mean much.

Then I've seen report of as many as 35% of IPhone users switching from AT&T, and then maybe as low as 15%. Heck, that's only a difference of like 3.5M phones.

true.

on the CES thing though, somehow i doubt that had anything to do with it...CES was a non-story. It was forgotten as soon as it happened, and for those who actually knew about it, it was eclipsed by the iPhone a couple of days later.

I'm sure a huge majority of vzw customers don't even know what CES is...we talk about it here because the members here are a little more technically inclined and even then it was more meh than WOW!

wil318466

Reaction score
I think most people will keep their Android based phones, or upgrade to newer ones. There will probably be some percentage that quickly move to Apple, but I'd bet most stay. People like what they are used to. People don't like to change over everything.

I'm so integrated into Gmail/Google Maps/Google Calendar I really couldn't imagine switching. After checking out my friend's iPhone more and more, I KNOW I'm not switching. (I have a Fascinate) I just like my setup better. I like my screen better. I like everything better.

cpjr

Reaction score
Why oh why must we have another one of these threads. Who cares who buys an iPhone or keeps their android. I have way more important things to worry about then someone elses cell phone.