Convince me of a Droid over an Iphone...

Smokinram

Reaction score
Hello all,

I am new to the forums. My wife and I are going to switch to smartphones in the next day or two so we are grandfathered in for the unlimited data plans, so its decision time.

My wife, she is already sold on an iphone.

Me, I have friends who have the iphones, Droid X's, Droid Incredible, and Thunderbolts and the emotions are mixed.

I am a mechanical engineer and a diesel mechanic on the side so I am looking at the technical side of the phone along with the ruggedness of a phone.

Someone please convince me of the advantage of an Android based phone(Droid X2) over an iphone 4 on Verizon.

Thanks,
Andy

DroidXDoes4G

Reaction score
More customization.
Faster.
More choices.
Better camera.
4G (on some)
Dual Core
...the list goes on...

Snow02

Reaction score
Goog set >>> istans.

That's all you really need to know.

But given your line of work, you're probably someone that appreciates utility. For that reason alone, you'll like the droid more.

OP
S

Smokinram

Reaction score
Decisions Decisions...

Well you are definitely helping me make my decision.

Just need a little more information. I really like the sound of the Droid Bionic but for me to get grandfathered in by July 7th, I need to choose a current model. I am leaning towards a Droid X2. Several friends have Droid X's and love them. Two of my other friend have/had the Thunderbolt and hated it.

Is the Droid X2 the way to go?

Also whats the most compact and durable case/protector for the Droid X2?

Thanks,
Andy

tuffD1

Reaction score
Smokinram, I think you missed your own qualities of a device you want. I for one, do not know of any "ruggedized" iphones. Hehehe. But I'm sure there is an "ruggidized" android phone out there ;)

darkmatter

Reaction score
durable and compact don't exactly go together for cases.

that said, I don't know about compact, but if you want durable, nothing I've seen will beat an Otterbox.

scott craft

Reaction score
Go to the store and play with them both, preferably for more than fifteen minutes. I don't think you will be disappointed either way you go because both platforms are pretty good.

Sent from my Droid using DroidForums

alboboy10

Reaction score
As a fellow engineer I would advise u on an android. Engineers and iphones just don't go together. The iphone is too simple and not functional enough.

If u want to be grandfathered in 4g you need a 4g phone. Tell verizon your concern, I'm sure they can help u out with the bionic as well when it comes out. They want you to stay with them they'll do anything

Nausicaa

Reaction score
Well I have an iPhone in a sock, never touched it much, and it already has a scratch. I didn't even do anything. If you're looking for rugged, you don't want an iPhone.

Last edited:

Snow02

Reaction score
As a fellow engineer I would advise u on an android. Engineers and iphones just don't go together. The iphone is too simple and not functional enough.

If u want to be grandfathered in 4g you need a 4g phone. Tell verizon your concern, I'm sure they can help u out with the bionic as well when it comes out. They want you to stay with them they'll do anything

You don't need a 4G phone. Any smartphone will do.

OP
S

Smokinram

Reaction score
Thank You

Very very good advice.

Thanks to you all.

Now you have me leaning towards the Android side.

What about phones now? Droid X2 or Incredible 2? Or any other suggestions...

Thanks again,
Andy

Snow02

Reaction score
You don't need a 4G phone. Any smartphone will do.

Based on that logic, we don't need anything more than Blackberries on 1x network...

sent from my ApeX

Huh? Did you even read the quoted post. It was stated that you need a 4G phone to be grandfathered into unlimited 4G. I simply stated that was not true.

comk4ver

Reaction score
Well, unfortunately the only rugged droid phone out there is unfortunately the motorola i90? And it's on the sprint network which I don't recomend because it's on cupcake and never got an upgrade and it blows. You didn't like the droid pro or the droid global? They're most business oriented. But for the 4G part neither the incredible 2 nor the droid X2 are 4G so a droid charge or Tbolt. Unless, you want to wait for the bionic (pay full price) and just ask to extend your contract instead of accepting the new contracts but if I'm not mistaken according to the letter sent out by Big red you should be able to keep your unlimited data regardless of when you upgrade just sit tight and wait for the bionic.

OP
S

Smokinram

Reaction score
Well, unfortunately the only rugged droid phone out there is unfortunately the motorola i90? And it's on the sprint network which I don't recomend because it's on cupcake and never got an upgrade and it blows. You didn't like the droid pro or the droid global? They're most business oriented. But for the 4G part neither the incredible 2 nor the droid X2 are 4G so a droid charge or Tbolt. Unless, you want to wait for the bionic (pay full price) and just ask to extend your contract instead of accepting the new contracts but if I'm not mistaken according to the letter sent out by Big red you should be able to keep your unlimited data regardless of when you upgrade just sit tight and wait for the bionic.

Is the 4G really worth the difference?

A real good friend of mine had an unfortunate accident with his Droid Incredible and it is now lying on the bottom of the atlantic ocean. Well he bought a thunderbolt and hated it. Said it was very slow compared to his Incredible so he sold it and now has a Droid X and loves it.

I too would think the 4G Thunderbolt would be better than the X but here is living proof.