Wired.com Android bashing. We need to revolt.

A

apeshitninja

If you follow Wired at all (and you're on this forum), you've noticed that they post roughly 1 iPhone love article a day and whenever they perceive the chance they bash anything Android based, most of the time it's circumstantial at best and dishonest at worst. Whether it's the 'more apps in the app store mean it's a better product' or the '3rd gen iphone outsales the 1st gen Android phone' rant, it's all the same. From Wired's point of view, anything iPhone can do no wrong, and they will always find a way to either subtlety or outright bash Android based devices.

It's played off as personal preference of the contributers, but after some digging I've found that Wired.com's parent company Conde Nast is actively working with Apple to distribute Wired Magazine and some other publications via iTunes exclusively. That means they have a monetary interest in the iPhone appearing to be the best phone available, and it proves they are biased.

What can you do? Join me in signing up at their website and calling them out via comments whenever they post an obvious iPhone fanboy article.

Negative Android press by news outlets with a vested interest in iPhone sales is not right, they need to be called on it.

:motdroidvert:

mjs31

Reaction score
I understand your view on this, but I say let them be fanboys if they like. You will never be able to change their way of thinking and revolting will only show that it is getting to you. Anyone with common sense will know the articles are completely bias.

Just my opinion though...

KZIWarrior

Silver Member
Reaction score
I understand your view on this, but I say let them be fanboys if they like. You will never be able to change their way of thinking and revolting will only show that it is getting to you. Anyone with common sense will know the articles are completely bias.

Just my opinion though...

^+1
My question to the OP is since you KNOW this about them why do you bother to follow them? Let it go and just ignore them. It's like BGR, it's a waste of time to really take anything they have to say to heart. Skim through on the OFF CHANGE they have something worth taking note of and skip the rest. You'll live longer:icon_ banana:

cyber3d

Reaction score
The problem with Blogs are exactly what we are experiencing with all this Droid bashing. Bad stories propagate exponentially via blogs. If we just sit there like bumps on a log and post no rebuttals then the negative stories will build and build and build. We must take the effort to sign up and post rebuttals to all this nonsense.

When you do a web search you'll quickly see how many sources are really citing just one blog (like that POS Boy Genius Report). What this turns into is rote repetition - duplication and dissemination of one story. Why do they do this? Because it give them an easy "hit." It ups their hit score with out them having to do little writing if any writing at all. The bottom line is that it generate massive numbers of hits and to the general public (and even more critical viewers) it on the surface appears that "everybody" reports that the Droid is failing in one feature or another - This is a statistical challenge for the Droid and believe me it does indeed affect the future of the product.

So, get out there and signup and post where ever there is a BS post about the Droid.

TxDoc

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
XT1635-01
As with your two first responses, I would agree. Nothing to be gained. People can figure it out for themselves. If they cannot see thru the propaganda, they are beyond help and will learn the hardaway. They won't be too happy with those who deceived them. Wasting time by fighting over that is like fighting over a junior high football game.

Enjoy your phone and spend your time constructively, and in silent bliss.

cereal killer

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nokia Lumia Icon
LOL at KZIWarriors pic in his sig. Hahahahahahaha

jsh1120

Silver Member
Reaction score
Yeah, right. The market success of the iPhone is the result of promotion by Wired magazine and other Conde Nast publications (the ones that haven't gone out of business, that is.)

Byte

Reaction score
I wouldn't worry about it. Android will be the last one standing.
One of co-workers who is a die-hard apple fan boy is even looking at the Nexus.
With out any probing from me. If he's looking so are others.

Mr. Premium

Reaction score
I say the best thing would be to boycott the site if you think it's biased. Start reading a different tech blog.

By the way what is the issue with BGR? I thought that blog was creditable?

Anyways I stick to Engadget first then Giz.

daddyd302

Reaction score
Why do you people care so much about what other people say about this or that phone? You accused them of being bias and fanboys yet many of you do the exact same thing about the Droid. I am not a Droid fanboy, and never will be one. I am a fanboy of technology, not a certain company or brand.

jsh1120

Silver Member
Reaction score
Here's just one example of the Droid bashing that goes on at wired.com...

"...
A few days ago we got Motorola’s Droid in the mail. The device is quite awesome. Beyond being offered on Verizon’s network (which consistently squelches AT&T in coverage and speed) the phone is forged from super-solid (and stylish) hardware. Plus it runs freaking Android 2.0 as its OS. From reviewer Priya Ganapati:
The Droid runs Android 2.0 (aka Éclair) as its OS. It feels more refined than the first version of Android on T-Mobile’s G1 and it’s certainly better than the muddled interface on Motorola’s Cliq.
The Droid’s 5-megapixel camera has up to 4x digital zoom. It produces photos that aren’t too noisy and it does well even in low light, thanks to the built-in LED flash.
The most exciting feature of the phone, though, is the Google maps app — with built-in turn-by-turn, voice-guided navigation. Replete with text-to-speech features, the maps are layered with traffic data and a satellite view. But here’s the best part. It’s free! Hear that? You don’t have to pay $10 a month as subscription or buy a pricey $100 TomTom app. You can just zip around with the Droid and Google Maps.
Read More Review: The Motorola Droid | Gadget Lab | Wired.com

bL33d

Reaction score
I left iphone for droid so dont believe all people are mindless fanbois i also have a xbox360 and a ps3 and i also use both ati and nvidia gpus :)

Diehard apple fanbois miss out on alot and its there own faults. Everyone knows i had a 3gs and now a droid when they ask why i tell them its a better platform that is open and u can do what u please with it.

TimChgo9

Reaction score
Here's just one example of the Droid bashing that goes on at wired.com...

"...
A few days ago we got Motorola’s Droid in the mail. The device is quite awesome. Beyond being offered on Verizon’s network (which consistently squelches AT&T in coverage and speed) the phone is forged from super-solid (and stylish) hardware. Plus it runs freaking Android 2.0 as its OS. From reviewer Priya Ganapati:
The Droid runs Android 2.0 (aka Éclair) as its OS. It feels more refined than the first version of Android on T-Mobile’s G1 and it’s certainly better than the muddled interface on Motorola’s Cliq.
The Droid’s 5-megapixel camera has up to 4x digital zoom. It produces photos that aren’t too noisy and it does well even in low light, thanks to the built-in LED flash.
The most exciting feature of the phone, though, is the Google maps app — with built-in turn-by-turn, voice-guided navigation. Replete with text-to-speech features, the maps are layered with traffic data and a satellite view. But here’s the best part. It’s free! Hear that? You don’t have to pay $10 a month as subscription or buy a pricey $100 TomTom app. You can just zip around with the Droid and Google Maps.
Read More Review: The Motorola Droid | Gadget Lab | Wired.com

This is bashing?

Overall, the article was positive, poked at a couple things they found lacking (pinch zoom, multitouch, the device's weight) but, beyond that, it was a pretty balanced review. They probably do favor the iPhone a little bit, but it's not like they went tearing off on the Droid, and making it seem useless.....