Im Rooted! - Now i want a BACKUP

xliderider

Reaction score
Using clockworkmod and bootstraper to make a backup. is that considered a nandroid backup? if not please explain.

Technically, a nandroid backup is made with SPRecovery which is not available on the X. However, the backup made with Clockwork Mod Recovery is as close as it gets and almost everyone refers to backups made with Clockwork Mod Recovery as nandroid backups.

If you had a Droid 1 you could make a backup on both SPRecovery and Clockwork Mod but they wouldn't be interchangeable. Meaning only backups made with SPRecovery would work with SPRecovery, and backups made with Clockwork Mod would only work with Clockwork Mod.

So if you have successfully made a backup using Clockwork Mod Recovery, then you are good to go.

Rule of thumb is to always backup before doing anything major like an OS change, loading a theme, or periodically because if you ever need to use the backup to restore, you will lose everything since the last backup was made.

OP
DroiDTalenT

DroiDTalenT

Reaction score
Awesome thanks for the clear answer and extra info. Appreciated

fizik

Reaction score
Sorry but I had to go through this whole thread cause I'm just as slow... not talkin mess Undeniabletalent but those are the exact questions I have in my head.

I downloaded the Droid X Bootstrapper, made a Back up and tried to boot into Recovery but it put my phone into bootloop, so VZW gave me a new phone.

I was also confused with Koush's DX Bootstrapper and CWM Recovery, actually still am.

Maybe someone can enlighten us on these ahahah.

xliderider

Reaction score
Now that you have a backup using Clockwork Mod Recovery. Download and install Titanium Backup and use batch mode to make a backup of your system data, apps and app data.

The advantage to Titanium backup is you can restore your apps singularly or in batches. Whereas with Clockwork Mod Recovery you would have to restore the whole os or the system files and data as a whole.

xliderider

Reaction score
Sorry but I had to go through this whole thread cause I'm just as slow... not talkin mess Undeniabletalent but those are the exact questions I have in my head.

I downloaded the Droid X Bootstrapper, made a Back up and tried to boot into Recovery but it put my phone into bootloop, so VZW gave me a new phone.

I was also confused with Koush's DX Bootstrapper and CWM Recovery, actually still am.

The bootloop problem where you get stuck at the M logo is a different problem. It isn't really related to Bootstrapper and CW Mod.

Think of Bootstrapper as a dual boot system for your X, that lets you boot into Clockwork Mod Recovery instead of the normal boot sequence. That's an oversimplified way of looking at it, but easy to understand.

Last edited:
OP
DroiDTalenT

DroiDTalenT

Reaction score
one day at a time my dude. Just do your home work and ask questions before making changes. it does you no good to be able to do something but not understand what you've done, why you did it, how to go back, or the effects it might have on your device. The admins and moderators are a lill bothered by me already but they understand. To all of you that have helped so far, THANKX LOTZ!

fizik

Reaction score

The bootloop problem where you get stuck at the M logo is a different problem. It isn't really related to Bootstrapper and CW Mod.

Think of Bootstrapper as a dual boot system for your X, that lets you boot into Clockwork Mod Recovery instead of the normal boot sequence.

Totally understand what you're talking about, but this problem hasn't occurred until I did that Reboot Recovery... So I can't help but think that it's related some how, maybe not 100% due to it, but it caused something to topple over and caused my bootloops.

But you're right I can't blame the recovery, somewhere it must've been my error.

xliderider

Reaction score
Don't blame yourself, People have been getting stuck at the M logo on bootup who weren't even rooted. That is why Verizon didn't "know" you were messing with your phone. ;)

OP
DroiDTalenT

DroiDTalenT

Reaction score
I just deleted titanium. But will reinstall. Clockwork does back up everything , just doesn't let you install/restore specific things one by one, or just app data ect. Correct. Why might I need to have the features titanium offers? I was thinking I should be good, if I frag I have a total backup, not saying I'm not going to listen just wondering what could cause me to loose app data, or have other minor issues. Can I take titanium's backup and save it to pc untill needed?

fizik

Reaction score
True, I was extremely worried they'd find out about my phone when one of the techs were trying to fix it, he pulled the battery and it booted into CWM right in front of him. Luckily he had no idea what it was and didn't even think twice.

Before that I had a feeling I might have messed up rooting my phone cause I kept pushing the same files over during different events to try to re-root it or un-root it, which might have cause an error amongst files. Which might be why my Bootstrapper never worked correctly.

xliderider

Reaction score
One example is you have a Titanium Backup backup and then you accept a Market update on on of your apps. What if the update is totally cr@p and causes a lot of problems?

Well, you can uninstall the updated app and restore that bad app and your user data in that apply with Titanium Backup. :)

Another example. I have some apps that are no longer in the Market because I have backups of the apps in made using Titanium Backup and Astro.

Last edited:

xliderider

Reaction score
True, I was extremely worried they'd find out about my phone when one of the techs were trying to fix it, he pulled the battery and it booted into CWM right in front of him. Luckily he had no idea what it was and didn't even think twice.

Before that I had a feeling I might have messed up rooting my phone cause I kept pushing the same files over during different events to try to re-root it or un-root it, which might have cause an error amongst files. Which might be why my Bootstrapper never worked correctly.

See that's the thing. When Verizon sends your phone back to Motorola to be refurbished, they might test it and discover that you had rooted it and such. They could theoretically charge you for the replacement X. It is highly unlikely though.

OP
DroiDTalenT

DroiDTalenT

Reaction score
Sold! Can my titanium backup be removed from sd untill needed, I see no reason that I can't.

OP
DroiDTalenT

DroiDTalenT

Reaction score
Next is changing kernel s so I can wireless tether. Good night guys, and thanks rider