Seeking Info-Where to Start

DroiDTalenT

Reaction score
My first android phone is my Droid X, and im quickly realizing the devices potential! Im very literate and can follow a tut. So my main question isnt really a question so much as a request for help to a page or thread that breaks down roms, rooted vs unrooted, and hacks. You kno just a start here, a place to get some information and start learning. Thankx any help is greatly appreciated.

Talent

Abe21599

Super Moderator
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
theres a guide i put together for DX users (a lot applies to other android phones, too) thats in my sig. acutally, for rooting purposes, it wouldnt hurt to look at all of the links :)

just remember not all the D1 stuff applies to teh DX (like the custom roms or overclocking)

and if u have any questions, feel free to ask me or the other members.

the android OS has quite a learning curve coming from other OS, but when you get the hang of it, you can take full advantage of the phone and reap the benefits dancedroid

OP
DroiDTalenT

DroiDTalenT

Reaction score
I guess ill add that i dont know anyone with a modded/hacked device so I dont even know what i want to do or what i can do, i just want to understand what are the advantages of making changes, where to start, and do some good reading before i begin.

Abe21599

Super Moderator
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
link 12: start u off with the new operating system
link 2: learn what root is.
link 6 (just changed it): what you can do after rooting.

OP
DroiDTalenT

DroiDTalenT

Reaction score
So? Before I root my DX, should I make a back up? Im assuming no, because to make a back up you probably need to be rooted? What back ups should i make right away before i get into anything else?

OP
DroiDTalenT

DroiDTalenT

Reaction score
I restored my phone to one of my backups because I tried some things that didn't work. Anyways, I can't rename files in /system/apps directory, or anything in / for that matter. I still always get asked about supper user permissions. So did I loose my root permissions? The only way I kno to check other than try to move or rename something was by the terminal showing a # sign instead of a $ sign. Right now I see a $ sign. So again did I loose root?

abe7333

Reaction score
I have mine non rooted. I am pretty happy with the current update and like my phone unrooted. But that's my opinion

"I know not with what weapons War World III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with stick and stones."-Albert Einstein.

Send from Droid X

abe7333

Reaction score
I would try launcher pro though

"I know not with what weapons War World III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with stick and stones."-Albert Einstein.

Send from Droid X