I'll not be buying gas from BP ever again.

sockmess

Reaction score

Thats because BP doesnt want to fix it. They see this as a means to make more money.

How is losing their product and getting bad publicity in the process a way to get more money?
BP wants to fix this more than anyone, for ever gallon of oil that is wasted in the ocean is worth at least 2 dollars. Some cases after refinement 10. And they was losing around 500,000 a day. I think its down now to 360,000 thanks to last plan on slowing down the rate.

Last edited:

kepley

Reaction score
I always thought that BP overpriced their gas anyhow. Glad to say that I've never gone there and most definitely never will now. :) It is terrible for the loss of life and lifestyle though.

sockmess

Reaction score
I always thought that BP overpriced their gas anyhow. Glad to say that I've never gone there and most definitely never will now. :) It is terrible for the loss of life and lifestyle though.

not just gas. Plastics, medicine, rubber... just about everything you buy has oil in the production process. And the only product that normally doesn't have oil in its creation; food, still uses oil for the transportation. If half of driving american public made sure not to buy gas from a BP station, it would only be a discomfort to them.

rod

Reaction score
someone said it best earlier. enacting a boycott on your corner store bp wont really hurt the corporation as a whole, just the local family running the store. a boycott is not the solution. your best bet is a letter to your senator or representative. show your disgust. uncle sam is the only one who can hold them responsible now.

How to Write Letters to Congress

honestly. how long will it take? minimize this window, write out a short letter demanding the appropriate parties be held responsible, lick an envelope and a stamp and come on back (or save yourself the nasty taste and use a damp towel or something). just think of all the new responses throughout the board there will be to read through!

Backnblack

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
iPhone 7+ 256gb
IMO BP will have a few High Ups take the fall......

J

Johnly

I don't give a flying F what the media says, I am not buying BP, so there!

J

Johnly

not just gas. Plastics, medicine, rubber... just about everything you buy has oil in the production process. And the only product that normally doesn't have oil in its creation; food, still uses oil for the transportation. If half of driving american public made sure not to buy gas from a BP station, it would only be a discomfort to them.
Who cares what a boycott will accomplish? That is not the point. It is the principal of avoiding purchasing goods from an irresponsible company. BP will have to re infrastructure their company, and sell allot of assets just to pay for what they destroyed. IMO, BP has already cut their throat. The media says a boycott won't have an effect, but they are missing the point. I am going to avoid BP products as much as I can, and I hope the little stations carrying the BP name will do the same and switch out their product for a better one:icon_ banana:

J

Johnly

Good luck with that. Products and services | BP
The point is, if I know BP made it, I won't buy it. I understand college chemistry, but thank you : ) I actually programed German rubber injection Machines for a company (Artemis Rubber Technologies) and know the sludge is well beyond gas! lol. That was 10 years ago, how I miss the economy of those times....Don't let BP's list frighten you away from thinking you can't avoid them....if you want to, you can.

Last edited by a moderator:
J

Johnly

Here's a novel idea, how about requiring any ocean wells to have relief wells drilled and in place before the main well is even put into production
That is a good idea for deep sea drilling. And of course, don't ignore pressure warnings, and don't top the cap with saltwater, use the mud. If they drill the wells in tandem, that will work. It is illegal to re post web links here without permission from the owner, but if you search You tube, there are a ton of good ideas from arm chair warriors. Power to the people. It is sad that top dollar engineers are responsible for this.

jntdroid

Super Moderator
Premium Member
Reaction score
I hate to say it, but the financial cost of this disaster will barely scratch BPs balance sheet.

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

J

Johnly

I hate to say it, but the financial cost of this disaster will barely scratch BPs balance sheet.

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk
BP shares sunk 13% in the last five days totaling a loss of 25 billion. The clean up effort is 6 million day, that doesn't include bringing the gulf businesses back to a state of economy that the were in pre spill. Those my friend aren't scratches.

Exxon had to obtain a 4.8 billion dollar line of credit from JP Morgan Chase for their tanker dump just to help them with their deep financial troubles, and that spill was very minute compared to this one.

Sources
CNN, NY TIMES.

garrett

Silver Member
Developer
Theme Developer
Reaction score

you think you hate how bad the situation is i have only worked 3 days in the last 2 weeks because i make my money out on the Gulf of Mexico. I run a sport fishing charter boat and this time of year im usually out on the water 4-6 days a week and all i have gotten lately are cancellations because people don't want to travel to Florida just to find out the oil has reached the beaches.

get this ****.... the owner of the company submitted the forms to BP for the fishing relief money only to find out were not eligible because they are only giving the relief money to commercial fishing companies. So the thousands of out of work sport fishing and pleasure boat captains(myself included) are just SOL until something changes.

Luckily for me i have friends that own 2 charter companies down in Ft Lauderdale and in the Keys and both have offered to let me work for them for a while until things pick up on this side.

Heres the part that really aggravates me is we are forced to buy BP gas because they are the only ones that will deliver the gas around here. There are other companies but there charges are absurd.

J

Johnly

you think you hate how bad the situation is i have only worked 3 days in the last 2 weeks because i make my money out on the Gulf of Mexico. I run a sport fishing charter boat and this time of year im usually out on the water 4-6 days a week and all i have gotten lately are cancellations because people don't want to travel to Florida just to find out the oil has reached the beaches.

get this ****.... the owner of the company submitted the forms to BP for the fishing relief money only to find out were not eligible because they are only giving the relief money to commercial fishing companies. So the thousands of out of work sport fishing and pleasure boat captains(myself included) are just SOL until something changes.

Luckily for me i have friends that own 2 charter companies down in Ft Lauderdale and in the Keys and both have offered to let me work for them for a while until things pick up on this side.

Heres the part that really aggravates me is we are forced to buy BP gas because they are the only ones that will deliver the gas around here. There are other companies but there charges are absurd.
Damnit! When I graduate college, I will be able to afford to pay for your services. I love fishing. Sign me up 2014 for a couple of trips:) That peeves me that your paperwork was denied because you are not commercial. That should be headlines.

I don't hold it against you for having to buy their products, just make sure spit on their sign so you keep you dignity, J/K! But seriously!

Glad you have connections helping you out man.

meekless

Reaction score
Not gonna dive too deep here and retort the opinions and decisions to boycott, but want to throw in my 2 cents.
Everyone has been spending so much time and energy finding the person to blame here. First let me say, I do think it is crazy that there werent solid back up contingency plans in place for just such an incident. However, what would we be doing if this occurred naturally? Who would we blame?
And what I mean by naturally, is it is a well known fact the earthquakes have sometimes caused fractures that have released trapped oil and gas in the past. The name for it is "earthquake oil" (not very original i know).
I dont think this should remove any responsibility for the companies involved, but again my point is what would everyone be doing if by chance this oil was being released by an underwater earthquake? How would you plug such a hole?
Like someone else said, lets get past the bickering and focus those energies into resolving the problem.