Ics sdk

Discussion in 'Droid Bionic Hacks' started by voodooman128, Nov 14, 2011.

1. voodooman128

voodooman128 Member

Ratings:
    +0
    With the release of the ics sdk will this help the droid bionic at all.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using DroidForums

2. bill_garrett

bill_garrett New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    What do you mean by "help the Bionic"?
    If you mean help get ICS, then yes.

3. voodooman128

voodooman128 Member

Ratings:
    +0
    What i ment was bigger badder roms. More things to do. The roms that r out now dont seem as big as they were with other phones. Idk maybe im just missing my droid x with miui to much. I love my bio. I just want more. Lol

4. wseyller

wseyller Member

Ratings:
    +9
    Devs might be able to extract bits and pieces and include certain things into our current Gingerbread based roms to give it a more ICS feel. But it will not give us a full ICS rom. The current kernel is a gingerbread kernel and will not have everything required to fully utilize ICS. Once Motorola gives us ICS officially to our bionic then we will have an ICS kernel and we could then have full ICS roms that is if we can still root and still use custom recovery.

If we had an unlocked bootloader then we could have custom ICS kernels and have ICS rom before Motorola officially release ICS.

5. dstreng

dstreng Member

Ratings:
    +1
    Im thinking if verizon and moto do decide to allow the unlocked bootloader it will be through the ICS update. no sooner. thats just my opinion

6. voodooman128

voodooman128 Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I hope they realize soon that locking the bootloader is only hurting them. Let us be free. Lol.

7. treefrog20012003

Ratings:
    +0
    The reality is that it costs them way too much money to unlock the boot loader and let us do custom work. Each time a noob screws up their phone and takes it back it costs Verizon money. Until they have a way to make you responsible for rooting its not going to happen.

"But WHY THE RUM?!"

8. wseyller

wseyller Member

Ratings:
    +9
    HTC had started allowing to unlock bootloaders via a webpage and you basically have to sign your warranty away.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk

9. dstreng

dstreng Member

Ratings:
    +1
    ud think they (verizon) would be fine with unlocking the bootloaders. A ton of people in my area have switched to htc phones on different carriers solely becuase of the bootloader. All they are doing is loosing money by keeping it locked up

10. treefrog20012003

Ratings:
    +0
    If Verizon did allow it you would basically be responsible for the entire cost of the phone if you bricked it. I think if you can prove it is a hardware failure then it should at least be an insurance replacement. If you signed up for an internet unlock that would be the way to go.

"But WHY THE RUM?!"

11. Globed

Globed Member

Ratings:
    +0
    So First off Verizon insurance covers mainly hardware issue, unless your warranty is out of date or voided. You also have to pay a deductible every time you use your insurance. So 12$ a month or so( that's what mine is) plus a hundred dollar detectable Verizon losses no money what so ever in replacing your phone. Also If it is a software issue and you do have your warranty still all Verizon does is place an order for a replacement phone to be sent to your address using your account information at verizon, in whcih case you'd have to send it back. Now unless you complete brick your phone to the point in which it will not boot Motorola can tell using there Dev Cables if system processes or system files have been changed or modified, in which case they charge you full retail price for your replacement phone. So It unlocking the boot-loader for the bionic does not hurt Verizon or Motorola. If anything it helps both companies. Unlocking the boot-loader is only going to increase the sale of the phone, That's its one turn-off from buying the phone. Now if your just an average joe and knows nothing about the bionic or android then of course your not going to know about roms and boot-loaders. But who do you think new android users go to for help? Devs. Almost 90% of new users get into and eventually end up rooting or at-least looking into it. So all Motorola is doing bye not unlocking it is Making it a turn off for any dev looking to upgrade, becasue of a locked bootloader( Unless your extremely good in android DEV, and eager) And Any New User whom has bought the phone is left unhappy when there looking to get more out of there phone and cant. Which would in turn stop them from buying another Motorola phone. Locked Bootloader Means No Custom Kernals-> Lighter weight roms-> Limits what you can do with your phone. If Verizon/ Moto decided to unlock the boot-loader with the ICS update that would do nothing but help Moto and Verizon. -Fingers Crossed I hope they DO-

#11 Globed, Nov 17, 2011
    Last edited: Nov 17, 2011
  12. liftedplane

liftedplane Silver Member

Ratings:
    +704
    that's easy.... a clause saying we will replace your device however upon inspection if we discover it was from something caused by modding the device, you will be charged... like you have to put a deposit for a few days or something... I dunno... that's a really bad way of saying it, but something to that affect.