Ics sdk

voodooman128

Reaction score
With the release of the ics sdk will this help the droid bionic at all.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using DroidForums

OP
V

voodooman128

Reaction score
What i ment was bigger badder roms. More things to do. The roms that r out now dont seem as big as they were with other phones. Idk maybe im just missing my droid x with miui to much. I love my bio. I just want more. Lol

wseyller

Reaction score
Devs might be able to extract bits and pieces and include certain things into our current Gingerbread based roms to give it a more ICS feel. But it will not give us a full ICS rom. The current kernel is a gingerbread kernel and will not have everything required to fully utilize ICS. Once Motorola gives us ICS officially to our bionic then we will have an ICS kernel and we could then have full ICS roms that is if we can still root and still use custom recovery.

If we had an unlocked bootloader then we could have custom ICS kernels and have ICS rom before Motorola officially release ICS.

dstreng

Reaction score
Im thinking if verizon and moto do decide to allow the unlocked bootloader it will be through the ICS update. no sooner. thats just my opinion

OP
V

voodooman128

Reaction score
I hope they realize soon that locking the bootloader is only hurting them. Let us be free. Lol.

Reaction score
The reality is that it costs them way too much money to unlock the boot loader and let us do custom work. Each time a noob screws up their phone and takes it back it costs Verizon money. Until they have a way to make you responsible for rooting its not going to happen.

"But WHY THE RUM?!"

wseyller

Reaction score
HTC had started allowing to unlock bootloaders via a webpage and you basically have to sign your warranty away.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk

dstreng

Reaction score
ud think they (verizon) would be fine with unlocking the bootloaders. A ton of people in my area have switched to htc phones on different carriers solely becuase of the bootloader. All they are doing is loosing money by keeping it locked up

Reaction score
If Verizon did allow it you would basically be responsible for the entire cost of the phone if you bricked it. I think if you can prove it is a hardware failure then it should at least be an insurance replacement. If you signed up for an internet unlock that would be the way to go.

"But WHY THE RUM?!"

Globed

Reaction score
So First off Verizon insurance covers mainly hardware issue, unless your warranty is out of date or voided. You also have to pay a deductible every time you use your insurance. So 12$ a month or so( that's what mine is) plus a hundred dollar detectable Verizon losses no money what so ever in replacing your phone. Also If it is a software issue and you do have your warranty still all Verizon does is place an order for a replacement phone to be sent to your address using your account information at verizon, in whcih case you'd have to send it back. Now unless you complete brick your phone to the point in which it will not boot Motorola can tell using there Dev Cables if system processes or system files have been changed or modified, in which case they charge you full retail price for your replacement phone. So It unlocking the boot-loader for the bionic does not hurt Verizon or Motorola. If anything it helps both companies. Unlocking the boot-loader is only going to increase the sale of the phone, That's its one turn-off from buying the phone. Now if your just an average joe and knows nothing about the bionic or android then of course your not going to know about roms and boot-loaders. But who do you think new android users go to for help? Devs. Almost 90% of new users get into and eventually end up rooting or at-least looking into it. So all Motorola is doing bye not unlocking it is Making it a turn off for any dev looking to upgrade, becasue of a locked bootloader( Unless your extremely good in android DEV, and eager) And Any New User whom has bought the phone is left unhappy when there looking to get more out of there phone and cant. Which would in turn stop them from buying another Motorola phone. Locked Bootloader Means No Custom Kernals-> Lighter weight roms-> Limits what you can do with your phone. If Verizon/ Moto decided to unlock the boot-loader with the ICS update that would do nothing but help Moto and Verizon. -Fingers Crossed I hope they DO-

Last edited:

liftedplane

Gold Member
Reaction score
The reality is that it costs them way too much money to unlock the boot loader and let us do custom work. Each time a noob screws up their phone and takes it back it costs Verizon money. Until they have a way to make you responsible for rooting its not going to happen.

"But WHY THE RUM?!"

that's easy.... a clause saying we will replace your device however upon inspection if we discover it was from something caused by modding the device, you will be charged... like you have to put a deposit for a few days or something... I dunno... that's a really bad way of saying it, but something to that affect.

Globed

Reaction score
that's easy.... a clause saying we will replace your device however upon inspection if we discover it was from something caused by modding the device, you will be charged... like you have to put a deposit for a few days or something... I dunno... that's a really bad way of saying it, but something to that affect.

You Are absolutely right! There is a whole section with in your Warranty conditions that states if the phone has been modified and is sent in for warranty your warranty is now void( meaning taken away) and there for gives moto the right to charge the owner of the phone up to 200$ for repair and full retail for replacement. If anything unlocking the bootloader so noobs can screw it up will only increase there profit. Bc they have to send it in or buy a new phone. Verizon pays distributor pricing which normally is a 1/3 of the cost compared to the new costumer pricing. Ha and anything broken or the verizon replaces under insurance all they do is send the phone into moto and they get there money back ha. Its way more cost effective to unlock the bootloader. But Maybe this was there plan not unlocking it till android 4.0 update is out! Maybe Maybe. Think about it Android 4.0 plus and unlocked bootloader! all in one update

Marka63

Reaction score
Hello All,
Just to veer back to the original poster's question for one moment, and then the insurance issues this thread turned to are, IMHO, way more important (no disrespect to the OP)...
The OP was concerned about the lack of options rooting his Bionic would provide, but would that now change drastically with the release of the ICS SDK. This was answered perfectly, but, I just wanted to add that as was previously answered, what was released was an appetizer for those that dive deep into the code of the newer OS's to open up the world to those who do not like to pay for a device, then be told how they can use it. All I wanted to add, as Wyseller answered, was even though there was an ICS SDK release, they still have the real nuts and bolts of ICS "locked up in a cage," which is why you are only finding limiteds options. You can expect this to change drastically, once ICS is truly available, which is not the case with the SDK. I am only repeating the answer because I know there was a point where, and only speaking for myself, the answer to the OP would have gone right over my head, when I first started to understand how much we are locked out of our own equipment, when factory released. Probably the wrong thread for this, and this may have been discussed in depth elsewhere (again, I am new) but I wonder if there could be a legal challenge. As the thread rightly steered to, they should not be a able to void an entire warranty because you mod Roms, etc. I would agree, if you brick your phone, by going where you are unable to go, I suppose they might have a point, but I would hazard a guess that it would take the techs about 10 minutes to unbrick a phone, if you had the resources that the manufacturer has. When they develop the new OS's, I am sure there are hundreds of factory bricked devices. Of course, when you can reach up to a shelf, and grab a new board, it should be pretty easy..... I know they will never encourage reverse engineering, but a "voided warranty" repair should be fairly priced...like the true cost of the parts, and a fair cost for the labor, especially since their engineers are salaried employees...

Last edited:

Globed

Reaction score
Very Nice:) I will add two things to the warranty subject. the only reason they are allowed to void your warranty upon any type of modifications is because they state it in the warrenty claims. Also a warranty is ment as a way to fix things you can not control such as defects or otherwise, and system glitches n such. Modification towards your phone voids the whole warranty because you've modified your phone which in turn any issues after that point cant be proven to be motorolas fault. Now if you brick your device make sure u fail at a FXZ restore. otherwise they can tell and will just send u a replace ment and charge u retail. if they fix it they are allowed to charge you i think its like 200 or so for them to fix it.
BUT lets hope there saving the unlockedbootloader gift for when ICS comes out:))