I wish someone would make a better dock

carbonnoid

Reaction score
I was in the Verizon Store today, and I am looking at the Dock, and I'm saying to myself why would I drop 30 dollars to basically on a piece of plastic and a magnet. I really wish someone would make a better dock. Something with speakers maybe. Something that does more for me then what they are selling now. What does everyone else think? There's almost a million droids out there, i bet if someone created something people like, people would buy it.

DrPooley

Reaction score
Yeah, adding either one speaker comparable in performance to the Altec Lansing Orbit (love that speaker) or two small speakers would be awesome, even if it cost another $10 or so. The dock is basically intended to replace a nightstand alarm clock, so why not have a speaker or two?

I haven't seen the current dock in person-does it connect to the factory power cord and charge the Droid? ...and what's with the short cord that comes with the Droid? My Blackberry Curve came with a much longer usb cord (of course its mini usb so it wont work on the micro usb connector of the Droid) and a separate charging cord that's 3-4x as long. The supplied cord is way too short.

lauriep

Reaction score
It does connect to the USB that comes with it and charges the phone. It doesn't have a speaker, but the phone's speaker is working well to listen to podcasts while I fall asleep. It is very well made and has heft to it.

coondogg97

Reaction score
I don't expect a $30 dock to have speakers, but I wish they would offer some options. All I want is a headphone jack on the dock so I can connect it to a stereo. How can a Media Dock not have any outputs at all?

RTracer

Reaction score
I bought the dock and am quite impressed with it.
Sturdy, charges and looks sharp on mu night stand

brianr0131

Reaction score
I don't expect a $30 dock to have speakers, but I wish they would offer some options. All I want is a headphone jack on the dock so I can connect it to a stereo. How can a Media Dock not have any outputs at all?

Problem with this is that there is no connection going from the phone to the dock that carries audio. SO, you would have to plug something into your phone 3.5 mm jack anyway.

jkayner

Reaction score

Problem with this is that there is no connection going from the phone to the dock that carries audio. SO, you would have to plug something into your phone 3.5 mm jack anyway.

yeah, and they aren't even on the same side of the phone, so you can't just simply "dock" the phone. You will have to dock it, then connect the aux out cable and therefore no other dock is going to have this unless it goes through the USB port somehow.

coondogg97

Reaction score

yeah, and they aren't even on the same side of the phone, so you can't just simply "dock" the phone. You will have to dock it, then connect the aux out cable and therefore no other dock is going to have this unless it goes through the USB port somehow.

I guess Micro-USB doesnt support audio like Mini-USB?

Deuel

Reaction score
Noticed that VZW online changed the description from "Multimedia Dock" to "Charging Cradle". Makes sense, since that's all it really is. At least you get the same AC adapter and USB cable that comes with the phone.

kyoo

Reaction score
Yea I never saw it as anything more than a charging dock. kinda lame that it doesn't do that much though

Big D

Reaction score
I think a better dock with speakers will be forthcoming.

There needs to be some published sales numbers that wouls make producing something like this worth it.

I would be all over a nice dock that had some nice speakers. It is more than possible to carry audio through a usb 2 connection.

Reaction score
I love my multi media docking station. I have seen the service personnel in the verizon store place a magnet on the back side of the droid and it pulls up the same screen as the dock. Perhaps you don't have to spend $30, just get a strong magnet instead.

Deuel

Reaction score
A better dock should also include a slot in the back for charging a spare battery. Don't want to cough up the cash for the stand-alone charger for the spare.

Reaction score
A better dock should also include a slot in the back for charging a spare battery. Don't want to cough up the cash for the stand-alone charger for the spare.

speakers and also able to charge a spare battery would be cool additions to the multi media station.