A good car dock solution?

Discussion in 'Android Accessories' started by qoncept, Feb 3, 2010.

1. qoncept

qoncept Guest

What are people with cases doing for car docks? Is there any complete solution? I've seen a million posts about what kind of works, but I want something that holds my Droid securely, charges it (WITHOUT having to plug it in manually -- I want to slide it in, like a DOCK), and sets the phone to car dock mode.

Seidio's dock does what I want and I love their cases, but $50 is ridiculous, it's big and ugly looking, and I don't want a windshield mount.

I started making my own with a right angled USB adapter, some angle aluminum and JB Weld, but it didn't really work out. If I can slightly modify something to work (ie, add a magnet or modify the mount) that's fine, but the most important thing is I don't want to have to reach up to it and plug the charger in. Is there anything that does what I want, or am I stuck with Seidio?
  2. MNTNBKR

MNTNBKR Member

Yep, I was going to say Seidio.
  3. takeshi

takeshi New Member

Good luck, I don't see how a generic dock for every possible case out there is a feasible thing. Seidio probably is your best bet. Any solution is going to cost a bit. You really do have to decide on dirt cheap or the feature you're looking for unless you take the DIY approach.
  4. qoncept

qoncept Guest

I was hoping there was something between "dirt cheap" and "stupid expensive" :) I'll probably go with the Seidio, but I still don't like the mount or how the thing looks as big as my Sequoia, but I suppose I'll deal. Just don't tell the old lady what they cost.
  5. CYBER DROIID

CYBER DROIID New Member

I may have a good soloution for you but Im at work right now maybe if I can get home soon enough I can take a video and show you what I did......I'll try and repost later.
  6. CYBER DROIID

CYBER DROIID New Member

sorry I could not get to it tonight bit will try again tomorrow
  7. takeshi

takeshi New Member

It's all relative I guess but Seidio is far from "stupid expensive" from what I've seen. I'll definitely post anything I might run across for less.
  8. M1dnite

M1dnite Guest

9. KZIWarrior

KZIWarrior Active Member

10. Rettocs

Rettocs New Member

I'm interested to see what your project looks like, CD.
  11. ytwokc5

ytwokc5 New Member

12. Rettocs

Rettocs New Member

Because of this thread, I ordered a ProClip mount set. I can't wait to try it :D
  13. qoncept

qoncept Guest

I wonder if I could mount the Seidio clip somehow.. I'd have to plug the thing in still. I dunno, I got a coupon code for Seidio's web store (10% off, free shipping, LOVE2010 I think it was) so maybe I should just get their dock and quit being a baby.
  14. CYBER DROIID

CYBER DROIID New Member

Man I'm at work again it's a 6 dollors fix plus shipping but it's a time thing, single dad, hell today is his b-day, work ect yada yada I was going to try and do a video for ya but if nothing else hit me up and send me a private message and I'll atleast give you the info tonight.....sorry for the delay. Plus I need light for the video. By the time I get home it's just about dark. I havent forgotten about ya though......sorry.

That pro clip looks like a great solution for ya let us know how it works out and i"ll still try and post a video asap.
  15. needsnumbers

needsnumbers New Member

Ebay has something

Bought this car mount off of ebay. Hasn't arrived yet so I can't tell you if it's good or not. It's cheap, so I expect cheap but it looks perfect for my Impala that has 2 cig lighters just under the HVAC controls :)
    edit: I noticed you said NOT plugging it in manually. Sorry I didn't read that and it looks like the pro-clip is your best bet. Though you'll need to install a magnet if you want it to switch to car mode.
  16. Rettocs

Rettocs New Member

Well, over the weekend, I got my ProClip. I wasn't sure what to think when I ordered it, because I thought the installation looked weird. Now that I have it, The installation went like a breeze, and just like they say, you don't need to take anything apart. I love it, because I hate suction cup mounts, and I couldn't find a Droid-specific air-vent mount that was reliable. This thing is great, and I'm glad I ordered it! One very cool thing about it is that you can still slide the phone open while in the dock. I haven't found a universal mount that can do that yet.

I'll post pics / vids when time allows, but for now, just take my word!
  17. vico512

vico512 New Member

Coming in a little late on this thread, but...

I have a new Droid encased in the Verizon Shell/Holster combo. Do any of the car mounts allow me to mount the Droid, without having to pry-off the case? If I understand correctly, the Motorola mounts have a magnet that puts the Droid in the Car Mode(?)

Thanks
  18. DrDiff

DrDiff New Member

I bought my Moto Droid on Saturday with the car dock that comes with a case and the media dock. I liked the free case and belt clip wiht the car dock. However it would not slide into the media dock/charger because of the honking huge knob on the back to attach to the car dock and belt clip.

I went back to Verizon where I got my Droid today and they said that they would exchange it for a snap in car dock for me on Tuesday.
  19. needsnumbers

needsnumbers New Member

Avoid the ebay crap from overseas. It doesn't fit the droid AT ALL. Not sure where they got this from but I'll start a new thread showing pictures. It turned into a slightly more expensive USB car charger, nothing more. For shame.