I wish someone would make a better dock

johnflo88

Reaction score
I'm working with a chinese manufacturer to have a docking station with a USB charger and speakers made. Just sent them the plans. Now I am waiting on cost estimates and time to market.
That's great and I will hold off my purchase.Please let us know what's the outcome?:motdroidvert: :icon_ banana:

Big D

Reaction score
Maybe you can shed some light on the audio-through-USB question.

Natolx

Reaction score
There's an obvious way to design a dock that has the ability to connect to both the USB and the audio port... it would just involve the phone being surrounded completely with a springloaded mechanism so you would "slide in" the phone to the top to get the headphone jack in(pushing a springloaded piece up in the process and then it would "spring help" the phone down into the usb jack, while keeping the headphone jack cable in.

Or it could be done in the opposite orientation which might be easier since the headphone jack plug has less resistance.

Big D

Reaction score
Or maybe you can output audio through a USB connection. lol.

Natolx

Reaction score
Audio through USB and then an out through and audio jack would require the dock to be far more complicated, involving some kind of software and hence a circuitboard, while the other option would just require wires and a spring lol

Xerozix

Reaction score
A wire and a very carefully setup spring mechanism. We'll see if it's possible. Possibly a backround app and a wayto modulate sound. I know I can do it if given enough time, but someone'll beat me to it.

KennyDroid

Reaction score
Still waiting on the the overseas response. In the meantime, I have been working with a local manufacturer to build some. Footprint is about 10.5"W x 10"D x ~6"H. Birch plywood construction, with (2) 1.25" tweeters and a 4" sub. It should produce a really nice deep sound quality.

As soon as I have a picture, I'll post it for all to see and respond to. :icon_ banana:

928Droid

Premium Member
Premium Member
Theme Developer
Reaction score
Website
www.928gt.com
It would be nice if someone made a "Multimedia" dock like this for the Droid. It was just released by JVC for "you know what". :-(

jvc-xs-sr3_1.jpg

Reaction score
It would be nice if someone made a "Multimedia" dock like this for the Droid. It was just released by JVC for "you know what". :-(

jvc-xs-sr3_1.jpg

Awesome!!! I want one of these for my Droid,.....*stomp,...stomp* Who can DIY one of these?

coondogg97

Reaction score
It's only a matter of time before you see third party vendors manufacturing audio/video docks for the Droid.

ltfrakes

Reaction score
This is the one I bought from VZW for $24, and I love it. Well worth the price which included overnight shipping.

olletsocmit

Reaction score
I use a seidio case so the best case on the market will be the one made by them that allows u to dock it with the case on

Takami826

Reaction score
I use an old calendar easel... I have the kickstand from the body glove but it's not comfy in my pocket so I save it for when I travel...

KennyDroid

Reaction score

The big difference here is the fact that the "other device" can pass audio through it's docking connection, whereas the DROID's probably can, but you would have to write a program to tell the music player to output the sound through the USB, and then have a decoder/processor built inside the stereo.

This is a very nice unit. My design is much simpler than this. However, I do have plans to make it much more complicated. :icon_ banana: :motdroidvert: