I used Windex on my Droid...is that okay??

ddalgi

Reaction score
Hi! I just got my Droid X on Friday EEK! But before I put the screen protector on, I sprayed a TINY bit of Windex on a paper towel and wiped the screen a bit and then wiped it again with a micro-cloth thing. but I just read on the Motorola site that I should avoid alcohol based cleaners and just cleaning solutions overall!!

Will my Droid be okay or will the Windex somehow slowly deteriorate the screen and phone??

guidot

Developer Relations
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
It will probably degrade the film on the screen. No coming back from that. Wish you the best with that!

OP
D

ddalgi

Reaction score
OMG......................I'm such an idiot............................................

guidot

Developer Relations
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Unfortunately only time will tell.

Don't use ANY cleaner on LCD/Plasma/DLP/LCoS/LED screens, unless it specifically says you can.

OP
D

ddalgi

Reaction score
Okay...but is it a really big deal...? Will my screen still work well for at least 2 years if I don't do anything to it and be really careful with it???

Also...it says I should charge the battery for at least 3 hours before using it but I completely drained the battery before I charged it for the first time....is that okay?? Will that affect the battery somehow??

It seems like I've done everything WRONG since I got the phone T_T

guidot

Developer Relations
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Like I said, you won't really know until the screen gets darker. Pretty sure the touch part won't be affected, but I think it could start to become darker over time.

The battery shouldn't be an issue. I've always plugged it in out of the box and waited until it was charged before I activated it, but I know people who don't.

My wife bought the droid pro and the sales guy just threw the battery in right off the shelf.

OneTenderRebel

Silver Member
Reaction score
Lithium Ion batteries don't need to be charged before you use them. You can use them straight out of the box. Unlike the old days when they said charge overnight before using it.

cpjr

Reaction score
Windex will do nothing.

I have always used it to wipe off my phones for years, daily...never, ever had an issue. Granted, Ive probably never kept a phone over about a year, but still.

hookbill

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
If you just used the windex one time or something don't worry about it. I use eyeglass tissue which has rubbing alcohol to clean my screen That is safe to use.

rollo

Reaction score
It is Gorilla glass, nothing to worry about.

Don't sweat any of this, just enjoy your phone.

Also, screen protectors aren't as necessary with this phone as you are probably used to. Gorilla glass can scratch but it takes a lot. We have a number of them and only mine has any noticeable scratches. I have dropped it face-down on gravel and asphalt numerous times.

I can only see the scratches at an angle so it isn't like they affect performance.

In my experience they perform better without the protector.

dasanman69

Reaction score
Okay...but is it a really big deal...? Will my screen still work well for at least 2 years if I don't do anything to it and be really careful with it???

Also...it says I should charge the battery for at least 3 hours before using it but I completely drained the battery before I charged it for the first time....is that okay?? Will that affect the battery somehow??

It seems like I've done everything WRONG since I got the phone T_T

Your screen will be fine. You probably just cleaned away any anti smudging coating it had.

qman66

Reaction score
It will probably degrade the film on the screen. No coming back from that. Wish you the best with that!
why are you messing with this guy? no coming back from that? lol u act like he killed someone. its a one time thing. nothing will happen.

cutiedroid

Reaction score
I bought a product online called WIRELESS WIPES. It's in one of those re-closable envelopes with barely damp little tissues to wipe off cell phones, laptops, PDAS, pagers, etc., supposedly protecting against bacteria and is safe for LCD, metal, plastic, and glass with no blotting or streaking.

THINK CLEAN. PROTECT YOURSELF WITH WIRELESS WIPES!

Sent from my DROID2 GLOBAL using DroidForums

zero7404

Reaction score
windex is harmless on the phone. i hit a paper towel with 4 or 5 sprays of windex, then i clean my d2g with it. have been doing that for the past 4 months about once a week. haven't noticed any degradation of the screen, nor have i seen any discoloration or degradation on any other part of the device.

just make sure you're using the regular blue windex or the clear one. any other variants with concentrations of other stuff in it may not be good for the phone.

carlz28

Premium Member
Premium Member
Theme Developer
Reaction score
I clean my bare screen with 95% isopropyl alcohol that we use at work. Had my X for almost 9 months. Weekly cleanings....no issues.
Don't worry about a little windex.