I need help

bhfd64

Premium Member
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Use these instructions to flash the .tar file from step 1 of this thread. That will take you back to stock. Then you can do the over-the-air update to 2.2.

bhfd64

Premium Member
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
There is no COMPLETELY stable rom other than one you will get from an official OTA update. Your best bet will be to completely wipe the phone and update it to 2.2 by following this guide [Howto] Get to ED01 (Official Froyo) Quickly - xda-developers

And if you still have issues with the phone while running the official update, call verizon and get a replacement.

My phone is COMPLETELY stable with EF 3.5.1, and with better battery life and more accurate GPS than is available with stock OTA Froyo.

OP
K

kristoff125

Reaction score
Thank you all, I think I just need to do that, as no matter what ROM I install I end up with the same SMS not working issue.
You guys have been amazing and unbelievably supportive for volunteers, which is why I love going on here and helping people, and regret that I haven't been doing so lately as my SS 5.1 has been doing me fine on my tired and old droid (Which randomly reboots, thanks to excessive overclocking while using Nav and it overheating and such) but yea, this forum was what caused me to get into all this fun stuff, and made me love Android, and the community here is amazing, once again, thanks you, to everyone, who helped me fix my wife's phone (hopefully going to stock fixes it and we don't need to go to Verizon).
Thanks,
Krzysztof

OP
K

kristoff125

Reaction score
There is no COMPLETELY stable rom other than one you will get from an official OTA update. Your best bet will be to completely wipe the phone and update it to 2.2 by following this guide [Howto] Get to ED01 (Official Froyo) Quickly - xda-developers

And if you still have issues with the phone while running the official update, call verizon and get a replacement.

My phone is COMPLETELY stable with EF 3.5.1, and with better battery life and more accurate GPS than is available with stock OTA Froyo.

My major problem is no matter what ROM I put on it, her SMS doesn't work, which makes it almost seem like the hardware is broken, and if that's not it, and going to stock doesn't fix it, Verizon will giver her a new one that works, and I can always reroot and reROM after I get a new phone for her.

OP
K

kristoff125

Reaction score
I would love to install a custom ROM onto her phone, but when one thing doesn't work, regardless of ROM or bad phone, it's my fault, so I just think I need to bring it back to stock and make it work "decently" for now.

bhfd64

Premium Member
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
I would love to install a custom ROM onto her phone, but when one thing doesn't work, regardless of ROM or bad phone, it's my fault, so I just think I need to bring it back to stock and make it work "decently" for now.

I think you should take it back to stock with the instructions I posted and then check to see that SMS works. If it does, come back and I'll help you install a custom ROM. SMS works on every ROM we have, so it's either something wrong with the phone or with the way you install the ROM.

OP
K

kristoff125

Reaction score
Update 2: Reset back to stock, SMS works, however I can't DL the update on wifi, which makes NO sense to me, as my connecton is terrible, and I have FiOS and I need to put the phone somewhere that I can't charge it...on a much better note, I can bring my wife's phone back to stock, so if there's a problem, she can only get mad at me for recommending it, not because I rooted it etc.
Thank you, I love the community here, you guys are awesome, I just hope I've helped more than I've been helped.

bhfd64

Premium Member
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Yeah, you'll need 3g to download the OTA update. Once you get it, here are instructions for rooting, and here are instructions for how to flash a custom ROM. Do things this way and your SMS (and everything else) should work just fine.