Rooting and ROM questions

demandred

Reaction score
All,

My wife has a Fascinate and is tired of the stock OS and glitchy UI. I told her I would root it and load a custom ROM on it. I have a D2 and have rooted and ROM'd is so I am familiar with the basics. I have never looked into doing this with the Fascinate so I wanted to make sure that I am using the latest (and easiest) root method and also the most stable ROM possible. I don't want the new ROM to give her more trouble than the stock one is.

So...I found this guide to rooting: http://www.droidforums.net/forum/samsung-fascinate-development/79811-newbie-guide-rooting-fascinate.html.

Is this the latest and greatest method or has something simpler been developed?

2nd - I'd like to get some feed back on ROMs. I need something that will work well for her without to much of a headache for me. I don't want to have to troubleshoot it all the time. She syncs multiple gmail accounts and some pop accounts, surfs the web, facebook, g+ and google voice. I need those things to work well so I don't have to hear about it all the time. :)

Any help would be appreciated!

brad92

Silver Member
Reaction score
I'd check out MIUI. Its clean, smooth and polished.

CM74DX

Liskrig

Reaction score
I second the MIUI suggestion, it is really clean and the theme manager makes your phone 100% customizable from boot animation to lock screen. It's the most stable rom I've used to date.

Another option is Cyanogenmod (if it's available) its as close to stock you can get, with some really useful built in Apps (flashlight, audio eq, render fx...)

I hope this helps!

Sent from my ADR6300 using DroidForums

Mcbrocker

Reaction score
I third that. MIUI is awesome, fast and stable. With glitch kernal (ML)

Sent from my MIUI I500 using DroidForums

OP
demandred

demandred

Reaction score
Thank you for the suggestions. I noticed that MIUI is in alpha right now. Is it stable enough to have my technically disabled wife us it? :)

Mcbrocker

Reaction score
Probly so my wife has it on hers with the 1.7.29 version. She's no gooroo either

Sent from my I500 using DroidForums

Liskrig

Reaction score
Yes, it is definitely stable enough for everyday use.

Sent from my ADR6300 using DroidForums

OP
demandred

demandred

Reaction score
Thanks everyone...so I decided to give MIUI a try. I got as far as rooting the Fascinate using the oneclick method, installing ROM Manager and flashing CM. However, when I try to boot into recovery or backup my phone from ROM Manager it get the following error in recovery:

Finding update package...
Opening update packing...
Verifying update package...
E:failed to seek in /cache/update.zip (Invalid argument)
E:signature verification failed
Installation aborted.

Anyone have any ideas on how to fix this? I have tried fixing permissions, re-flashing CM, clearing DL cache and redownloading and then reflashing CM. None of that has helped.

EDIT: Scratch that, I got it fixed using this method: http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?p=14984177

Downloading MIUI now!!

Last edited: