Is it worth rooting a Fascinate??

bernardino5

Reaction score

bernardino5

Reaction score
Thx 4 the info what is the most popular rom to install already rooted the phone thx once again.

Sent from my ADR6400L using DroidForums

Stelv

Silver Member
Reaction score
The otb 1.3 is a good kernel also. Just do not odin or flash non voodoo items over voodoo without disabling lagfix first.

Sent from my fascinate

bradleonard

Reaction score
Hello

I am new Fascinate owner (for now) coming from a Droid 1 of which I was running the Simply Stunning ROM.

I was able to both root and un-root my Fascinate using Superoneclick 1.9.5.

My question is, the roms that are available to don't seem to be as organized, refined and focused as Chevyno1's Simply Stunning, is there one that stands out as the leader?

Second question, do any of the roms have any ability to fix the issues that are widely reported with the current software such as:
1. Calls not ringing through to the phone
2. text messages not arriving to the phone
3. Weak signal strength, dropping out of 3G where other phones don't.
4. Not staying connected to Wifi
5. Pandora not staying connected (probably directly related to connection issues)
6. Random Freezing.

I unfortunately only learned about these issues (read about here on VZW's own forum site Any One Having Missed Call Problem After ED04 Update Post Here So We Can Get A Count - Page 8 - Verizon Wireless Community) after I bought the phone and experienced all of them.

So are their any roms that are known to correct these issues?

Stelv

Silver Member
Reaction score
Hello

I am new Fascinate owner (for now) coming from a Droid 1 of which I was running the Simply Stunning ROM.

I was able to both root and un-root my Fascinate using Superoneclick 1.9.5.

My question is, the roms that are available to don't seem to be as organized, refined and focused as Chevyno1's Simply Stunning, is there one that stands out as the leader?

Second question, do any of the roms have any ability to fix the issues that are widely reported with the current software such as:
1. Calls not ringing through to the phone
2. text messages not arriving to the phone
3. Weak signal strength, dropping out of 3G where other phones don't.
4. Not staying connected to Wifi
5. Pandora not staying connected (probably directly related to connection issues)
6. Random Freezing.

I unfortunately only learned about these issues (read about here on VZW's own forum site Any One Having Missed Call Problem After ED04 Update Post Here So We Can Get A Count - Page 8 - Verizon Wireless Community) after I bought the phone and experienced all of them.

So are their any roms that are known to correct these issues?

You might have to change your radio with odin. The ec01 radio has worked fine for me with Evil Fascination 3.6 and Com Rom 2.1 (ukb). But I haven't been able to fix all my problems. Please read up on voodoo and odin too, as you can brick your phone if you flash nonvoodoo items over voodoo items or odin with voodoo enabled. Also make sure you do not use rom manager at all, doesn't work and will prolly soft brick your device. You may want to run an odin package using your pc that has the correct recovery and kernels in it.

1. Haven't missed any calls to my knowledge
2. Haven't missed any texts to my knowledge
3. Signal strength has always been a problem on my fascinate. I think it is a hardware issue. But it is basically ok now with ec01 radio and EF 3.6 or UKB 2.1
4. I don't have a problem staying connected with wifi.
5. I don't have a problem as of now streaming music but have in the past
6. Freezing, yes. The best way to solve it for the most part is not to use titanium backup at all or run anything off sdcard.

Sadly to say I did like my fascinate when I first got it, but if I had to buy it all over again I wouldn't. It has too many problems. I probably will not be buying another Samsung device after this again.

Sent from my fascinate

Last edited:

DaleV

Reaction score
Rooting is simple with ODIN! Just follow the instructions and you can't go wrong. There are several themes that are linked here. I would suggest ComRom 2.0, it is great! This phone stock is a POS compared to what it is after rooting and tweaking!

Like, how, specifically? I'd seriously like to know what the real-world benefits of rooting are: discluding pirated .apk's.

Because frankly, I've compared my stock Fascinate against more than one rooted one, live, and in person.

Any ram recovery due to bloatware removal seems pretty negligible, and the custom rom themes are a matter of taste. There's plenty of launcher options for stock phones.

Oh, and forget battery life: I'm getting better than any rooted phone - that was the MOST obvious difference.

Sent from my SCH-I500 using DroidForums

I think it's worth rooting, just rooting, for many users just to be able to freeze all the extra crapware Verizon includes with their phones that are set to be system persistent. Those apps are either constantly running and never being used, or battling it out with task manager, since it is set to shut them down. The default setting will keep restarting them and task manager will keep shutting them down. This is not only hard on battery life but device performance as well. I flash roms constantly to try them out, see how they work, but my usual daily driver is a stock, deodexed, debinged, de VZW crap, ED04 with custom recovery just cause i flash roms alot it is necessary for me. Just my thought on the subject.

OP
I

i3izkit12

Reaction score
As the OP of this thread I feel obligated to update whatever new guys that have found their way to this thread. As of the past few weeks or so both CM7 and MIUI have been released in perfectly stable forms for the fascinate. These are by far the best ROMs available and I seriously urge you to check them both out. Here's links to both and you have to try them to believe it but they're leaps and bounds above everything else.

MIUI
[ROM] MIUI FascinateMTD 1.7.22 - xda-developers

Currently updating with weekly releases adding goodies and stability on a regular basis. Keep in mind that it's perfectly stable and usable as is and there are no missing features.

CM7
[ROM] CyanogenMod 7 (fascinatemtd) pretty-much-official build 11.1 - [07/18/11] - xda-developers

Basically the final build for CM7 on fascinate. It's actually getting pushed to the CM7 nightlies so you guys get to enjoy the goodness there too. Again, it's perfectly stable and it's a complete ROM as well meaning no missing features.

I'd like to add a kernel recommendation for anyone running these roms.
[KERNEL][CM7/MIUI][16/07/11] Glitch V11.1 final -1.7GHz OC/UV-Voodoo-Smooth and fast - xda-developers

This is Glitch V.11 final and I can confidently say that it's the best kernel in existence for this phone and rom combo. Can overclock to 1700 and has the ability to undervolt. It's lightning fast (I have quadrant scores over 3100 overclocked at only 1440) and it sips battery when undervolted properly.

From my overall experience with the forums and experimentation I can pretty confidently say that this is the best that it's going to get for the fascinate. Both CM7 and MIUI are constantly fixed, updated, and improved, and this kernel is so good that you'll never have to look at a different one in your life. Just my 2 cents.

Mcbrocker

Reaction score
Yep the best thing to happen to this phone.

MIUI Gingerbread
Glitch Mid. 1.6 oc

Nas

Reaction score
As the OP of this thread I feel obligated to update whatever new guys that have found their way to this thread. As of the past few weeks or so both CM7 and MIUI have been released in perfectly stable forms for the fascinate. These are by far the best ROMs available and I seriously urge you to check them both out. Here's links to both and you have to try them to believe it but they're leaps and bounds above everything else.

MIUI
[ROM] MIUI FascinateMTD 1.7.22 - xda-developers

Currently updating with weekly releases adding goodies and stability on a regular basis. Keep in mind that it's perfectly stable and usable as is and there are no missing features.

CM7
[ROM] CyanogenMod 7 (fascinatemtd) pretty-much-official build 11.1 - [07/18/11] - xda-developers

Basically the final build for CM7 on fascinate. It's actually getting pushed to the CM7 nightlies so you guys get to enjoy the goodness there too. Again, it's perfectly stable and it's a complete ROM as well meaning no missing features.

I'd like to add a kernel recommendation for anyone running these roms.
[KERNEL][CM7/MIUI][16/07/11] Glitch V11.1 final -1.7GHz OC/UV-Voodoo-Smooth and fast - xda-developers

This is Glitch V.11 final and I can confidently say that it's the best kernel in existence for this phone and rom combo. Can overclock to 1700 and has the ability to undervolt. It's lightning fast (I have quadrant scores over 3100 overclocked at only 1440) and it sips battery when undervolted properly.

From my overall experience with the forums and experimentation I can pretty confidently say that this is the best that it's going to get for the fascinate. Both CM7 and MIUI are constantly fixed, updated, and improved, and this kernel is so good that you'll never have to look at a different one in your life. Just my 2 cents.

Is there a kernal to fix the volume quality for miui?

Sent from my Fascinate rocking MIUI

OP
I

i3izkit12

Reaction score

I've never had any problems with either sound quality or volume running MIUI but those that have can use an app called volume plus (volume +) to increase the volume to whatever you're comfortable with.

Nas

Reaction score

I've never had any problems with either sound quality or volume running MIUI but those that have can use an app called volume plus (volume +) to increase the volume to whatever you're comfortable with.

Had that, but didn't work. The ring back volume is not that loud. Etc when you get a phone call.