I found better pictures - PRO Zoom Camera 5X

Jokool_7777

Reaction score
iPirate,

So I took a couple of shots with PRO Zoom Camera and compared it against the stock Droid Camera app.

I took the shots outside just as it was getting kinda dark. Did that for the low light performance. I set both apps to the same pic quality and image size.

Judge for yourself. PRO Zoom Camera seems to be WAAAYYYY better

:icon_ banana:

NICE Find...Im searching for the download now

Mayze

Reaction score
Can anybody compare this app to camera zoom FX. I use Camera Zoom FX and would like to know if this is better.

windstrings

Reaction score
The main thing I'm picking up is a tad better contrast in the second picture... it does make it a tad harder to make out detail in the bush row in front but the house looks less hazy and more defined.... definately a software issue.

I tried it and compared and honestly couldn't tell any difference about a month ago.. maybe i'll try it again....

Also back when I tried it, the 5X zoom was actually "less" than the stock camera software... in other words if you zoom to the max, the final pic is less zoomed with the 5X app...... a minor issue if pictures are better.
Seems to be the most popular alternative at this point.

darreno1

Reaction score
iPirate,

So I took a couple of shots with PRO Zoom Camera and compared it against the stock Droid Camera app.

I took the shots outside just as it was getting kinda dark. Did that for the low light performance. I set both apps to the same pic quality and image size.

Judge for yourself. PRO Zoom Camera seems to be WAAAYYYY better

:icon_ banana:

Absolutely! I will have to give this app a try. Thanks for posting!

windstrings

Reaction score
ok.. I just tried it... I took pics in my living room under florescant lighting and I can't tell that its better than the stock..... but the features far outweigh the stock and make the whole app worth while.

1. Its faster coming up.
2. Faster deleting, and faster between pics.. seems to handle memory better, or maybe uses more and therefore is faster.
3. has instant edit abilities "fairly full featured too".. not as dramatic as Picsay pro but not bad in a pinch and nice to not have to go to another app just to crop.
4. Zoom now goes to 6X
5. I like the feature to turn the shutter sound off.
6. Can set to auto save or not....
7. Auto focus is fast and quick to release to allow the next pic.
8. Auto focus appears to be excellent at close range
9. Color reproduction or "white balance" seems perfect and skin colors are excellent.

All in all, a drastic improvement over the stock app and worth the money.

I have not as of yet found out how to change the iso or grainyness setting for low light pictures ...this would be a nice feature as the stock camera likes to err on the side of preventing blur and keeping the shutter speed fast at the expense of grainy shots.
Not sure what features this hardware affords... but the more the better.... we can aways have auto settings for those who don't want to tinker.
I see no reason why we get shortsheeted on features if the hardware will do it.

iPirate

Reaction score
Digital zoom is not good for picture quality, FYI. You would get similar results taking the photo without zooming and then going to photoshop and zooming in.

I'm going to wait and see if 2.1 fixes the camera then I will make my choice, but this app does look like a winner.

SwordOfWar

Reaction score
Digital zoom is not good for picture quality, FYI. You would get similar results taking the photo without zooming and then going to photoshop and zooming in.

I'm going to wait and see if 2.1 fixes the camera then I will make my choice, but this app does look like a winner.

Same. I'm not a fan of digital zoom unless its a last resort. The example shot does look better than the stock camera shot. Its not perfect, but I noticed better color balance and a fair reduction in grain. This certainly proves the image can be improved through software.

Not really sure if I want to use a third party app, but if the next update doesn't help with the camera, I might resort to this anyway.

darreno1

Reaction score
I hope the next Droid has a 10 mp camera and does 1080 high def. No wait...I want this in my next Droid:

RED / Cameras

Well I'm waiting for a viewfinder and the ability to attach lenses. My nikon would be as good as sold as soon my Droid can take a 18-200mm zoom lens. :icon_ banana:

NVash

Reaction score
Ah but can it take good pictures of moving subjects now?