I found better pictures - PRO Zoom Camera 5X

Zippster

Reaction score
I'll have to try this and use my camera more often, up to this point I havent taken many pictures but havent been all that impressed with the ones I have taken. Will say though I took some video the other night at a hockey game that turned out quite well.

mitchb2

Reaction score
we really shouldn't be paying for a functional camera, that's what the $200 i gave was for

hopefully 2.1 fixes that p.o.s. Camera

lol lol lol

Why LOL? I took a picture of my son last night while he was playing. I just looked at it. Remember those old "disc" cameras from around 1985? That's what the picture quality reminded me of. Horrible.

So if the Droid camera is locked into staying this bad due to hardware (and can't be improved via software) then it's worthless as a camera.

Reaction score
we really shouldn't be paying for a functional camera, that's what the $200 i gave was for

hopefully 2.1 fixes that p.o.s. Camera

lol lol lol

Why LOL? I took a picture of my son last night while he was playing. I just looked at it. Remember those old "disc" cameras from around 1985? That's what the picture quality reminded me of. Horrible.

So if the Droid camera is locked into staying this bad due to hardware (and can't be improved via software) then it's worthless as a camera.

No I agree! It made me laugh the way alum 21 put it POS and all. I just laughed literally out loud.

NVash

Reaction score
It does sound kinda funny putting it like that, but its the truth. I remember my Dare camera at 3.2 megapixels was way better. It couldnt do so hot with movement but at least it didnt always turn out a blur like on this camera. I truly hope they fix it because this is downright ridiculous.

SwordOfWar

Reaction score
It does sound kinda funny putting it like that, but its the truth. I remember my Dare camera at 3.2 megapixels was way better. It couldnt do so hot with movement but at least it didnt always turn out a blur like on this camera. I truly hope they fix it because this is downright ridiculous.

You know the pictures look pretty damn good when in a bright area..such as taking a picture of the parking lot with the sun shining down on it.

night or indoor shots do look pretty horrible when you view the full size of the picture though.

but if it makes you guys feel any better, downsizing your 5MP pictures to like a 3MP picture (use some editing software) it does look pretty good then.

So we can at least say that we can take good pictures that are sized to a lower resolution. But as far as the 5MP shots, they are pretty bad in low or even moderate light, really.

Zecpull

Reaction score
They should never have gone to 5 megapixel...3.2 will give you a nice 8x10 and you dont have a big enough lens to get light to fill a 5 meg sensor. I have taken great pictures with my LG envy3. I dont understand how they can get the camera so bad. there is a Huge lag on the shutter. I have never gotten a picture that looked like what I saw when I pushed the shutter. And why dont they use the button on the side instead of the onscreen shutter...?

LrdElderon

Reaction score
I was fairly shocked myself when I saw the size of supposedly 5MP camera photos. most are under 1mb. Though I must say that while I understand frustrations some people seem to feel about the quality of their cameras phone, I find it just fine. I line up my shot, click the camera button halfway to focus and then BAM photo! Looks just like on the screen basically every time.

The only problems I've ever experienced personally are in low light conditions it's so hard to take a picture. I mean with the flash the picture usually turns out good enough for me, but just trying to figure out where to aim at in dark conditions is frustrating.

If you bought your phone based on the quality of it's camera, then perhaps there are other issues you should be more concerned about.

Though I think a few things come to mind about why picture quality is somewhat lacking and it could be due to the file size. I know file size does not equal MP of the photo, but if the compression they are using while saving to jpeg format is that heavy, you lose a lot of detail...etc I'm not a photographer, but I'm pretty sure most real cameras save in a raw format don't they? or at least use very little compression because I have a 5mp old sony sure shot or something or other and images are usually several megs I believe.

Also I think someone should talk a little about how well video on this phone is. All I hear is pic this and pic that and wah wah wah.... you all realize we can take pretty much dvd quality recordings with sound even..... that just blows my mind! I used it for xmas and it looks fantastic. You'd never guess I used my phone!

I guess what I'm saying overall is Cheer up folks! you bought a phone, not a super duper telescopic lens paparazzi camera that can take pictures half a mile away with zoom and detail good enough to see the pores in the skin. If a person can make out you what you shot..... you did good enough in my humble opinion.

Also this is my first post so I apologize if I sound a bit like an ass. I don't mean to, but I see moaning about the camera all the time and to me it's just fine, it's not why I bought the phone. That isn't to say it couldn't be improved though, I will grant you that. :)

windstrings

Reaction score
There has been a fair amount of discussion on this already.......
But has anyone scientifically concluded that the lens cannot bring in enough light to process a 5mb picture?.

Has anyone compared 3mb shots with 5mb shots of the same in dim lighting and noticed a notable difference?

I for one wonder if they did another change without us knowing as dim shots seem to come out better than they first did after the update.

windstrings

Reaction score
OK, I just did some tests and I completely disagree that the 5mb pics are worse than the 3mb pics based on the theory that the camera cannot adequately process 5mb pics.

I "may" agree that it may not fully utilize the 5mb abilities, but whatever that is, its better than the 3mb pics.

I did this in low light setting under florescent lighting in my living room. Jpeg is at full size setting.
When taking the pic it is "not" zoomed.

1. Take a 5mb pic "with flash"
2. Now take a 3mb pic 'with flash".
3. Now view the pics in the gallery and zoom up to full max.... preferably someone face or something has defined lines.
4. With full zoom you will note the 3mb pic to be far less clear and sharp than the 5mb pic.

If you had to do a crop of some tiny portion of the pic to make a full size pic, the 5mb setting would without question be the setting of choice.

I did the same tests without flash and got the same results.

LrdElderon

Reaction score
Do you think perhaps if they patched the phone to let us pick the option to save as a raw image format or choose on a sliding gradient how much compression to use for jpegs like you can when you save a jpeg in photoshop, that it would make for higher quality photos?

OK, I just did some tests and I completely disagree that the 5mb pics are worse than the 3mb pics based on the theory that the camera cannot adequately process 5mb pics.

I "may" agree that it may not fully utilize the 5mb abilities, but whatever that is, its better than the 3mb pics.

I did this in low light setting under florescent lighting in my living room. Jpeg is at full size setting.
When taking the pic it is "not" zoomed.

1. Take a 5mb pic "with flash"
2. Now take a 3mb pic 'with flash".
3. Now view the pics in the gallery and zoom up to full max.... preferably someone face or something has defined lines.
4. With full zoom you will note the 3mb pic to be far less clear and sharp than the 5mb pic.

If you had to do a crop of some tiny portion of the pic to make a full size pic, the 5mb setting would without question be the setting of choice.

windstrings

Reaction score
I don't know if thats the key or if its an iso setting issue.

As we all know, the lower the iso setting the finer the grain, but you need a fair amount of light to pull that off.

I don't know enough about the inner workings of the software "or" the hardware to know where improvement would help.

Its obvious the orifice that allows light it is quite small.... too bad thats not bigger.
However, theoretically it doesn't need to be bigger if the hardware is good enough.

It certainly seems like we could have an option to have a longer shutter speed at the expense of it being blurry......

A longer exposure would solve the problem but blur would be an issue with most people as phone cameras move too easy without skill.

Its interesting to see we never seem to have issues with "Blur" which tells me they have things set to err on the side of having a clear shot at the expense of it being grainy.

Maybe they figure there is lots of room for error with 5mp to start off with.

At any rate, I'm pretty pleased with the results... especially with this latest App... I'm excited to see and am hoping for more improvements with the next firmware update.

Whatever they did with the first update, they need to take it some more to that extreme IMO.

cb2000a

Reaction score
Downloaded this app and took some pictures on a hike today on Maui and am very impressed. The zoom feature is really nice.

Jim 777

Silver Member
Reaction score
I was fairly shocked myself when I saw the size of supposedly 5MP camera photos. most are under 1mb. Though I must say that while I understand frustrations some people seem to feel about the quality of their cameras phone, I find it just fine. I line up my shot, click the camera button halfway to focus and then BAM photo! Looks just like on the screen basically every time.

The only problems I've ever experienced personally are in low light conditions it's so hard to take a picture. I mean with the flash the picture usually turns out good enough for me, but just trying to figure out where to aim at in dark conditions is frustrating.

If you bought your phone based on the quality of it's camera, then perhaps there are other issues you should be more concerned about.

Though I think a few things come to mind about why picture quality is somewhat lacking and it could be due to the file size. I know file size does not equal MP of the photo, but if the compression they are using while saving to jpeg format is that heavy, you lose a lot of detail...etc I'm not a photographer, but I'm pretty sure most real cameras save in a raw format don't they? or at least use very little compression because I have a 5mp old sony sure shot or something or other and images are usually several megs I believe.

Also I think someone should talk a little about how well video on this phone is. All I hear is pic this and pic that and wah wah wah.... you all realize we can take pretty much dvd quality recordings with sound even..... that just blows my mind! I used it for xmas and it looks fantastic. You'd never guess I used my phone!

I guess what I'm saying overall is Cheer up folks! you bought a phone, not a super duper telescopic lens paparazzi camera that can take pictures half a mile away with zoom and detail good enough to see the pores in the skin. If a person can make out you what you shot..... you did good enough in my humble opinion.

Also this is my first post so I apologize if I sound a bit like an ass. I don't mean to, but I see moaning about the camera all the time and to me it's just fine, it's not why I bought the phone. That isn't to say it couldn't be improved though, I will grant you that. :)
Here here!
fan1.gif

OP
S

Slammer

Reaction score
I am wishing I was in Maui right now....

I was there once - I really need to get back to Hawaii......like tomorrow!