HTC WiFi Tether Block - Removed soon?

StinkyPete

Reaction score
With the recent FCC Verizon ruling, will we get the WiFi tether block removed?

Nyobie

Reaction score
Hello - I haven't heard about the FCC ruling or the tether block. I'll be scouting the internet for more info. Did you find any good articles on this ruling? Thanks!

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Ima bet vzw will drag their feet on that.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

tony4life

Reaction score
FCC Posting on the VZW Compliance Plan for Tethering

Here's where the answer is: Order and Consent Decree, Verizon Wireless to Pay $1.25 Million | FCC.gov Make sure you click on EXPAND when you get to the page. About half-way down the page, It lists Item 10 is the "Compliance Plan" and states, "Specifically, Verizon Wireless: (i) agrees to implement within thirty (30) calendar days after the Effective Date a Compliance Plan relating to its future compliance with the C-Block rules, including the rules governing the availability and use of Third-party Applications, including Tethering Applications, by customers using Verizon Wireless’s C-Block Network..." It goes into further detail but now we know that they clock is ticking down on this new access we'll have.

For those on brand-new limited share plans, it should actually be to the benefit of VZW because it's actually what subscribers have already. For those like me, with grandfathered unlimited plans, it'll be interesting to see how VZW handles us. We apparently had the right to tether years ago, myself since December 2009 when I purchased my first smartphone, the OG Droid. VZW will comply and it's reasonable to expect them to take at least 30 days to develop their compliance strategy. Because they were the first to get his with this, they are "the example" to other carriers and everyone is watching.

Last edited:

Nyobie

Reaction score
Thanks for this info. I have the grandfathered Unlimited Plan as well. I wonder if Verizon will be sending us big refund checks! Hehe!

recDNA

Reaction score
If they are really FORCED to comply and not endlessly appeal I bet it hastens the death of grandfathered unlimited data plans. I was already told everyone will get the boot off unlimited next year whether we update phones or not.

I could envision vzw using this change as their excuse claiming the fcc is "forcing them to eliminate unlimited data plans".

npro1464

Reaction score
Kind of hoping they pull the plug on us on unlimited so I can get out of my contract without an etf and get a new phone somewhere else.