Are there any roms that don't have wifi tether blocked?

Professordroid

Reaction score
I have a droid 2. I tried a gingerbread leak, which I liked but wifi tether is blocked. Tried Zombiestomped, some liquid rom, and a few others off of rommanager.

I don't use it a lot but I do want it to keep the ability to tether my Xoom to my Droid.

Are there any good roms for the D2 that don't have wifi tether blocked?

xm0067

Reaction score
I have a droid 2. I tried a gingerbread leak, which I liked but wifi tether is blocked. Tried Zombiestomped, some liquid rom, and a few others off of rommanager.

I don't use it a lot but I do want it to keep the ability to tether my Xoom to my Droid.

Are there any good roms for the D2 that don't have wifi tether blocked?

As far as I know, the only ROM without the tethering blocked is CM7, but that's because its completely AOSP and they removed the verizon hotspot part of the ROM.

Sent from my ApeX-ed, Overclocked, and Automated DROID 2

OP
P

Professordroid

Reaction score
As far as I know, the only ROM without the tethering blocked is CM7, but that's because its completely AOSP and they removed the verizon hotspot part of the ROM.

Sent from my ApeX-ed, Overclocked, and Automated DROID 2

It surprises me that the mod-community hasn't made more effort to get around that barricade. One of the main reasons I rooted was to use things like open garden or barnacle. I don't see why Gingerbread presents such an obstacle to using them also. Am I missing something?

greygifford

Reaction score
I have the R2D2 Gingerbread OTA, rooted with Open Garden and it works fine. Actually getting faster speeds now then when I was running the GB leak. Posting from my laptop wifi tethered to my D2 R2D2 right now.

OP
P

Professordroid

Reaction score
I have the R2D2 Gingerbread OTA, rooted with Open Garden and it works fine. Actually getting faster speeds now then when I was running the GB leak. Posting from my laptop wifi tethered to my D2 R2D2 right now.

So why is it I have tried five different ROM's, and searched dozens of forums and never gotten an answer on how to fix it? Am I missing something? I've tried everything. Someone here must know something.

UrbanBounca

Rescue Squad
Staff member
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Is WiFi a must? EasyTether is working fine on stock, rooted GB.

greygifford

Reaction score
So why is it I have tried five different ROM's, and searched dozens of forums and never gotten an answer on how to fix it? Am I missing something? I've tried everything. Someone here must know something.

Prof, when you say it is "blocked", what exactly are you using for the wifi tether. Like I said I use Open Garden without an issue. Does the program you are using tell you wifi tether is blocked? Let's get a little more info and see if there is something missing.

Sent from my DROID2 using DroidForums

OP
P

Professordroid

Reaction score
Prof, when you say it is "blocked", what exactly are you using for the wifi tether. Like I said I use Open Garden without an issue. Does the program you are using tell you wifi tether is blocked? Let's get a little more info and see if there is something missing.

Good question. When I start either Open Garden or Barnacle another wifi manager pops up on my task bar. It looks like the built-in wifi tether. Then in Open Garden or Barnacle I get an error saying the DHCP port is already in use so tethering doesn't work. If I go into the "other" app and try to close it or shut it down and play with it long enough I have managed a few times to get the tether to actually connect to my Xoom but then it will direct my browser to the Verizon "pay $30 for this feature" web site.... So I'm locked out of tethering.

It works on stock, rooted froyo, but any gingerbread flash I have managed to pull gives me the same problem, regardless of flavor... Zombiestomped, Liquid, etc.

Someone here must have some thoughts on this.

69copo

Reaction score
I have been using PDANet for a long time and have never had any problems. Just get it from the market and install it in the phone and on the device you want to teather to.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using DroidForums

OP
P

Professordroid

Reaction score
I have been using PDANet for a long time and have never had any problems. Just get it from the market and install it in the phone and on the device you want to teather to.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using DroidForums

I tried it, but the reviews said it had a lot of disconnects, which is what I had with it too, so much so I could only get a few seconds of connection at a time.

greygifford

Reaction score
Do you have the 3G mobile hot spot turned on in your settings or via the 3G app in your drawer? Make sure it is unchecked or it will highjack the wifi radio.

OP
P

Professordroid

Reaction score
Do you have the 3G mobile hot spot turned on in your settings or via the 3G app in your drawer? Make sure it is unchecked or it will highjack the wifi radio.

Ive had it off. it still starts up and hijacks me.

jfrancis

Reaction score
Hi Guys,

Thought I would throw in my experience. So I install Open Garden, configure it with an SSID and security passphrase and start it up. Holy moses, wifi tethering is WORKING. I reboot my phone, start Open Garden again and there's that damnable Verizon redirect page. I close Open Garden and I notice something odd: Both my Wifi connection and the 3G connection are showing as active (I had actually noticed that before the restart). So I start Open Garden again, and lo and behold, tethering is working again. Hope this helps out someone. Note that I expect you'd get the same behavior on the wireless tether beta app (which it appears Open Garden is based upon).

John

P.S. This whole "charging you extra for data tethering" is really obnoxious.

jfrancis

Reaction score
Note that there seems to be a cadence to stopping and restarting Open Garden. I get the best results if I start it up, let it sit for 20 seconds or so, shut it down and wait for the signal indicators (wifi and 3g) to fill in and then start it up again.