FCC slaps VZW. Teathering apps will be back.

Discussion in 'Droid Forums Member News Depot' started by Tonik, Jul 31, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Tonik

Tonik Member

I don't see this info here yet, and it is awesome. The free spectrum aurgument worked. FCC hit VZW for 1.25 million and told them to stop blocking teathering apps.

FCC to Verizon: Don’t block tethering apps. Verizon settles for $1.25M — Mobile Technology News

And from the FCC's posted ruling: "Verizon Wireless offers customers its 4G LTE service on C Block spectrum. Verizon Wireless bid at
    auction to acquire that spectrum, understanding that it was accompanied by open device and application
    obligations. Specifically, licensees offering service on C Block spectrum “shall not deny, limit, or restrict
    the ability of their customers to use the devices and applications of their choice on the licensee’s C Block
    network...."

It says DEVICES of our choice. Unlocked bootloaders here we come!!

http://www.fcc.gov/document/verizon-wireless-pay-125-million-settle-investigation
    Last edited: Jul 31, 2012
  2. vatothe0

vatothe0 New Member

"Slaps"? $1.25M is less than 20% of the CEO 's bonus. I guess it's a good result but your title is a bit of hyperbole.
  3. Tonik

Tonik Member

I'm good with slap. "A slap or "smack" is a broad stroke made with the open hand or the back of the hand, as opposed to a punch that is made with a closed fist." If it had been 100 million I would have said punch or smacked down. But your point that it is a nothing fine is certainly valid. Keep in mind that is VZW's proposal on a settlement, the FCC has not accepted it yet. But I imagine they will. The important part is it forces compliance, education in the corporation and reporting of said compliance.
  4. guidot

guidot Developer Relations Staff Member Premium Member

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.