HTC Thunderbolt Release Date

Status
Not open for further replies.

ilikemoneygreen

Silver Member
Reaction score
They made people pay for 3G when they didn't have 3G service when there were still a lot of areas without 3G. I see no reason that they wouldn't do the same with 4G.

Did they really? Ehhh... 4g isnt even in 50 cities yet. I guess im a tad surprised by this. Hope people don't get ripped off, thats kind of what this is sounding like to me.

4G was in 38 cities at the end of 2010 and will be in 49 additional cities by June. There will be many more by the end of 2011, but I don't think the 2nd half of the year have been released yet. Just because a certain person doesn't have 4G where they live doesn't mean that they won't use it elsewhere. I agree that most will not travel to a 4G area, but there are business people who will spend many days a month in a 4G area. There is no way that Verizon can determine who will or will not travel to a 4G area and use that service, so the only reasonable thing they can do is charge anyone who has a 4G phone. Perhaps they will do something differently this time, but I wouldn't bet on it. I won't have 4G until sometime in 2012.
If they did it for 3g, then your right they will probably do it for 4g. Haha, okay even 90 cities. My point is still valid. That covers like what, 5%of total users. If i were ceo id make it optional to buy 4g with the thunderbolt. Just becuase im not a scammer. I guess one has to be greedy once your at the helm. :wacko:

TheOldFart

Reaction score
Did they really? Ehhh... 4g isnt even in 50 cities yet. I guess im a tad surprised by this. Hope people don't get ripped off, thats kind of what this is sounding like to me.

4G was in 38 cities at the end of 2010 and will be in 49 additional cities by June. There will be many more by the end of 2011, but I don't think the 2nd half of the year have been released yet. Just because a certain person doesn't have 4G where they live doesn't mean that they won't use it elsewhere. I agree that most will not travel to a 4G area, but there are business people who will spend many days a month in a 4G area. There is no way that Verizon can determine who will or will not travel to a 4G area and use that service, so the only reasonable thing they can do is charge anyone who has a 4G phone. Perhaps they will do something differently this time, but I wouldn't bet on it. I won't have 4G until sometime in 2012.
If they did it for 3g, then your right they will probably do it for 4g. Haha, okay even 90 cities. My point is still valid. That covers like what, 5%of total users. If i were ceo id make it optional to buy 4g with the thunderbolt. Just becuase im not a scammer. I guess one has to be greedy once your at the helm. :wacko:

According this post by kodiak799, they plan to cover 2/3 of the population by the end of this year. Remember that if it is 140 cities, that will be the vast majority of the population, as most of the population is in those city areas. While 95%+ of the area of the country won't have 4G, far less than 1/2 the population live in that 95%.

I'm not arguing that is a bit unfair to make someone pay for 4G when it is not in their town, but I think that is what will be the case. In any case, all of this is just speculation about the cost, as we don't know yet what the 4G pricing will be.

TheOldFart

Reaction score

According this post by kodiak799, they plan to cover 2/3 of the population by the end of this year. Remember that if it is 140 cities, that will be the vast majority of the population, as most of the population is in those city areas. While 95%+ of the area of the country won't have 4G, far less than 1/2 the population live in that 95%.

I'm not arguing that is a bit unfair to make someone pay for 4G when it is not in their town, but I think that is what will be the case. In any case, all of this is just speculation about the cost, as we don't know yet what the 4G pricing will be.

Oops, forgot the post.
http://www.droidforums.net/forum/droid-general-discussions/131646-verizon-4g-2.html

dajogejr

Reaction score
I'm in a Detroit Suburb. As of a few weeks ago, we were the first LTE city turned on after the initial installs in 2010. (Since then, might be more...)
I'm thinking about the people who don't have it or might not for some time.

I know Sprint recently upped theirs 10 a month and called it something else...

I have no problem paying for technology...but I'll take the best deal I can nonetheless.

Its TwiX

Reaction score
Verizon tiered data versus Sprint unlimited....hmmm....

Yeah... the difference is WiMax < LTE.

And to all the whining about 4G lol...

Just because you don't have it in your area doesn't mean you shouldn't have to pay for it. Honestly, why would you want a 4G phone when it won't be in your area for an extended amount of time? Incredible 2 is coming 3G only... get that.

Some people in the middle of no where still don't have 3G. Everyone still pays for 3G if they have a smartphone no matter what.

You kind of have to look at it from Verizon's point of view. What they want to do, is make money. They roll out this brand new LTE service that's better than all other competitors. Why? To make more money. They aren't just going to say, "Hey since you don't live in a 4G area you don't have to pay for the main feature of the phone." They would lose a TON of money.

Just my 2¢

jr313

Reaction score
@twix +1...i have friend with the evo and he's paying for 4g and he doesn't have it here in Detroit he's actually thinking if switching to.verizon when the TB comes out

Sent from my SCH-I500 using DroidForums App

ilikemoneygreen

Silver Member
Reaction score

Oops, forgot the post.
http://www.droidforums.net/forum/droid-general-discussions/131646-verizon-4g-2.html
I think he meant by the end of 2013...its 2011. Still got a couple years till that planned 2/3 is in effect. He states it funny but "By the end of 2011, they are expecting to be in at least 140 markets and covering 2/3 of the U.S. once 2013 finishes up." so that makes me think they are upgrading now, and in 2013 thats when they will be at 2/3. Thats how i'm reading this at least....

ilikemoneygreen

Silver Member
Reaction score

Just because you don't have it in your area doesn't mean you shouldn't have to pay for it. Honestly, why would you want a 4G phone when it won't be in your area for an extended amount of time? Incredible 2 is coming 3G only... get that.

Some people in the middle of no where still don't have 3G. Everyone still pays for 3G if they have a smartphone no matter what.

You kind of have to look at it from Verizon's point of view. What they want to do, is make money. They roll out this brand new LTE service that's better than all other competitors. Why? To make more money. They aren't just going to say, "Hey since you don't live in a 4G area you don't have to pay for the main feature of the phone." They would lose a TON of money.

Just my 2¢
I am personally not going to get this device. Logic though, is what im asking. using your logic with "Honestly, why would you want a 4G phone when it won't be in your area for an extended amount of time? Incredible 2 is coming 3G only... get that. " is my point. Why would you even sell a 4g phone? Why would they be selling it all over the country even in places far away from LTE? I know Vz is about the money...Every company is. I just dont see all those people getting scammed into a fancy new LTE device in like a random place like montana when they dont even have it anywhere around. Im not seeing the logic their....

Its TwiX

Reaction score

Just my 2¢
I am personally not going to get this device. Logic though, is what im asking. using your logic with "Honestly, why would you want a 4G phone when it won't be in your area for an extended amount of time? Incredible 2 is coming 3G only... get that. " is my point. Why would you even sell a 4g phone? Why would they be selling it all over the country even in places far away from LTE? I know Vz is about the money...Every company is. I just dont see all those people getting scammed into a fancy new LTE device in like a random place like montana when they dont even have it anywhere around. Im not seeing the logic their....

That's completely different. Companies put out products they know people will buy (48 major cities have LTE and most reach into not so major cities around it). Customers buy products based on their discretion. They release it to everyone, but they probably only expect people in 4G areas to get it. As more people get LTE in their area, they will buy it. It's a way to get all Thunderbolt's out they can ALL the time. Same thing will happen with the Bionic. This is also a way to test their network. By releasing LTE city by city or a few cities at a time, they can test how much the strain is on their brand new network now that 4G modems and phones are out. This way they can see what and where they need to strengthen in their network.

When the internet came out, companies didn't wait til everyone had the internet to push internet capable computers. They pushed them out and as more people got internet in their homes/offices, they would buy those computers. Pretty much the same concept...

cereal killer

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nokia Lumia Icon
@ilikegreenmoney I think what you missing is that customers are not going to be scammed into getting it. Its just an option. They have plenty of other new 3G devices coming out for this very reason. Some people in your area may travel a lot and will be able to take advantage of LTE so they will pick one up. Its just another equipment option vzw will offer.

They wont lose any money because you will still buy another 3G device. They can't lose money in an area that doesn't support it yet.

Again if you don't want to pay LTE prices do not buy the handset. Buy a new 3 G device and you are fine.

Make sense?

Sent from my Droid

Sent from my Droid

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score
. If I were a betting man I would say yes because you are still buying the equipment and it will be able to utilize the network once in an area that supports it.

I also find very curious that there is no toggle to turn LTE connectivity on or off which leads me to believe that customers will be stuck with an LTE plan even if they don't live in an area. Verizon will simply tell you to buy a different device if you don't want to pay for the data plan that comes with these devices.

LTE devices will be just that an LTE device. You don't have it in your area you don't buy it or if you do want to buy it you will pay.

Makes perfect sense to me.

Sent from my Droid
"4g" connectivity can be toggled on the Sprint EVO. is anyone CERTAIN that the TB release model does not allow toggling 3g/LTE?

We can toggle data on/off, OEM...

I was told no toggle. Miami and another guy on the forums have the unit maybe they can chime in if their devices have one.

Sent from my Droid

Test devices probably not but they have to allow you to toggle or you will see the battery die like they are seeing now. If the phone is constantly toggling back and forth on its own trying to find LTE then it will kill the battery that and if you run on LTE the entire time you will kill the battery. I am sure there will be some way to toggle it even if it requires a 3rd party app.

okiepat2000

Reaction score
BB dropping price of Nexus S to $99.
Offer ends 3/23.
3/24 is a Thursday.
VZW likes to release on Thursday.
Need I say more? :rolleyes:

Status
Not open for further replies.