1. You want that $100.00 in your pocket or an Amazon Fire TV don't you? Well here's the deal. With our new updated look we are in desperate need of an updated logo. The 'old' one has certainly served us well, but it's time. Find all the details here: bit.ly/1q0k6Wa
  2. DroidForums.net is currently undergoing a major software upgrade. If you are experiencing any problems logging in please: Contact Us

Thunderbolt Rumor Roundup

Discussion in 'Android News' started by danDroid, Feb 10, 2011.

1. danDroid

danDroid Administrator Staff Member

[​IMG]

We just can't stop talking about that HTC Thunderbolt and now I think it's #1 in the "most talked about pre-released android phone" in history. Today, we have 2 more pieces of information to throw on the rumor pile. First of all we've been tipped off (again) that the HTC Thunderbolt release date could now be anywhere from February 24th through March 6th. I know thats a large window, but that's all we've been able to get today.

** Update, AndroidCentral.com has been told Feb 24th. 14 Days to Go!.

HTC Thunderbolt - $749 off contract?!!

[​IMG]

AndroidPolice has posted a rather disturbing (according to my wallet) screenshot showing the HTC Thunderbolt off-contract price of $749.99. This was also confirmed by DroidAttic.com as well. Seems a bit on the high side, however let's look on the bright side. It sure does make the Motorola Xoom tablet feel cheaper!
  2. cloudstrife05

cloudstrife05 New Member

First! Wow if this is true..$700?
  3. pc747

pc747 Administrator Staff Member

385.00 If that is what I am going to have to pay with a contract then I am gonna wait. That is like a big buzz kill I am not paying more for the tb than the evo which is the exact same phone.
  4. Haloman800

Haloman800 New Member

I just walked out of Verizon, I got a report of a 17th release date, and a manager told me it's in a couple weeks, not sure of the date yet.

If it's nearly 400 with upgrade & contract, no.
  5. jcbsides

jcbsides New Member

Well, it says in stock 2/14 so at least there is a small dash of hope as far as release date.
  6. kodiak799

kodiak799 Well-Known Member

I haven't paid much attention, but seems a bit shocking the wholesale cost would be leaked. Haven't seen that.

Also, $385 is the wholesale cost to Best Buy (note the employee cost, so they still make a few bucks off employees, which may just be overhead and shipping/handling costs), VZW will still subsidize it. $249 is probably a good bet, though possibly $299.

The other thing that surprises me is we could always guess VZW didn't pay full retail for the phones, but assumed it was somewhere in the range of $350 (the ETF).

So Best Buy has nearly a 100% mark-up. I guess not surprising, but I'm sure the mfr is making a healthy profit, too. Can't wait for these prices to start coming down but unfortunately it appears to be going in the opposite direction!
  7. merpaderp

merpaderp New Member

Wow... this is kinda killing my buzz on this phone. I wonder how much this is gonna cost them?
  8. kodiak799

FWIW, the 32gb IPhone has a retail price at VZW of $749 as well, and 2-yr contract of $299.
  9. forum8417

forum8417 New Member

man seeing all these high prices on these new devices like the TB and Xoom is a super buzz kill. guess ill stick with my Droid 2 for a while.
  10. danDroid

danDroid Administrator Staff Member

Now that I think about it, I remember my local Best Buy wanted $699 for the Droid X when it first came out and everyone else was selling it full retail for $599..
  11. merpaderp

merpaderp New Member

It's not so much the price, because I'm expecting that kind of a price tag. It's the waiting.

Up til March 6th? Really? I thought it'd be out by now, if not within the next week or so. What's another month of waiting then? Might as well wait for the Q2 stuff and see what else comes out.
  12. champaned_out

champaned_out New Member

i agree... i am really hoping this thing will be out by feb. 14 or sometime around this date... any longer and ill just force myself to ride out my D1 til something better comes along
    the only way id still get this on march 6th, if that happens to be the release date is if we somehow knew that all the other upcoming phones will be delayed as well
  13. tktouch12

tktouch12 New Member

i was amazed when i saw that the 32gb iphone was 750 (i just saw today) but i guess this must be the new thing, which is pretty disappointing.
  14. OnMy2ndGP

OnMy2ndGP New Member

I will be keeping my DX for sure. Over a year left on my contract so I'll be patient and get my buzz on about whatever new device they drop on us then. In the meantime, I'll just keep supporting my DX devs.
  15. ScarletBuckeye

ScarletBuckeye New Member

if its anymore than $250 for a 2 year contract, im saying screw you and just gonna get a X, not worth $300 to me
  16. mth04

mth04 Premium Member Premium Member

let's settle this once and for all....

The Bolt wont be seen until March " at best " and pricing is unknown...

Now i'm told it's $349 with a $100 mir so $249 on contract or new line...

that's it on the bolt for me tonight
  17. funwheeldrive

funwheeldrive New Member

Its like the Incredible all over again. :icon_eek:

Verizon keeps losing respect from me.
  18. jcbsides

jcbsides New Member

Seriously?!? March "at best"?!? Why do they even let these rumors start? It's a waste of everyones time. Just ******* say when we can get the damn thing and leave it at that!
  19. merpaderp

merpaderp New Member

Thanks Miami. Back to the drawing board for me.
  20. kodiak799

What's got me riled up is seeing the wholesale cost of this phone! $249 with 2-yr contract, but a $350 ETF that only decreases $10 per month....So it's like $150 subsidy and for that I'm locked-in for 2yrs.

What a rip. VZW and BB add no value to these phones, really, other than to distribute. VZW has already recovered their subsidy from me and I'm stuck waiting another 8 months to upgrade because of outrageous mark-ups from the middle man.