Thunderbolt Rumor Roundup

danDroid

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
thunderbolt-24th.png

We just can't stop talking about that HTC Thunderbolt and now I think it's #1 in the "most talked about pre-released android phone" in history. Today, we have 2 more pieces of information to throw on the rumor pile. First of all we've been tipped off (again) that the HTC Thunderbolt release date could now be anywhere from February 24th through March 6th. I know thats a large window, but that's all we've been able to get today.

** Update, AndroidCentral.com has been told Feb 24th. 14 Days to Go!.

HTC Thunderbolt - $749 off contract?!!

wm_IMAG0143_thumb1.jpg

AndroidPolice has posted a rather disturbing (according to my wallet) screenshot showing the HTC Thunderbolt off-contract price of $749.99. This was also confirmed by DroidAttic.com as well. Seems a bit on the high side, however let's look on the bright side. It sure does make the Motorola Xoom tablet feel cheaper!

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score
385.00 If that is what I am going to have to pay with a contract then I am gonna wait. That is like a big buzz kill I am not paying more for the tb than the evo which is the exact same phone.

Haloman800

Reaction score
I just walked out of Verizon, I got a report of a 17th release date, and a manager told me it's in a couple weeks, not sure of the date yet.

If it's nearly 400 with upgrade & contract, no.

jcbsides

Reaction score
Well, it says in stock 2/14 so at least there is a small dash of hope as far as release date.

kodiak799

Gold Member
Reaction score
385.00 If that is what I am going to have to pay with a contract then I am gonna wait. That is like a big buzz kill I am not paying more for the tb than the evo which is the exact same phone.

I haven't paid much attention, but seems a bit shocking the wholesale cost would be leaked. Haven't seen that.

Also, $385 is the wholesale cost to Best Buy (note the employee cost, so they still make a few bucks off employees, which may just be overhead and shipping/handling costs), VZW will still subsidize it. $249 is probably a good bet, though possibly $299.

The other thing that surprises me is we could always guess VZW didn't pay full retail for the phones, but assumed it was somewhere in the range of $350 (the ETF).

So Best Buy has nearly a 100% mark-up. I guess not surprising, but I'm sure the mfr is making a healthy profit, too. Can't wait for these prices to start coming down but unfortunately it appears to be going in the opposite direction!

merpaderp

Reaction score
Wow... this is kinda killing my buzz on this phone. I wonder how much this is gonna cost them?

kodiak799

Gold Member
Reaction score
FWIW, the 32gb IPhone has a retail price at VZW of $749 as well, and 2-yr contract of $299.

forum8417

Reaction score
man seeing all these high prices on these new devices like the TB and Xoom is a super buzz kill. guess ill stick with my Droid 2 for a while.

OP
danDroid

danDroid

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Now that I think about it, I remember my local Best Buy wanted $699 for the Droid X when it first came out and everyone else was selling it full retail for $599..

merpaderp

Reaction score
It's not so much the price, because I'm expecting that kind of a price tag. It's the waiting.

Up til March 6th? Really? I thought it'd be out by now, if not within the next week or so. What's another month of waiting then? Might as well wait for the Q2 stuff and see what else comes out.

champaned_out

Reaction score
It's not so much the price, because I'm expecting that kind of a price tag. It's the waiting.

Up til March 6th? Really? I thought it'd be out by now, if not within the next week or so. What's another month of waiting then? Might as well wait for the Q2 stuff and see what else comes out.

i agree... i am really hoping this thing will be out by feb. 14 or sometime around this date... any longer and ill just force myself to ride out my D1 til something better comes along
the only way id still get this on march 6th, if that happens to be the release date is if we somehow knew that all the other upcoming phones will be delayed as well

tktouch12

Reaction score
i was amazed when i saw that the 32gb iphone was 750 (i just saw today) but i guess this must be the new thing, which is pretty disappointing.

OnMy2ndGP

Reaction score
I will be keeping my DX for sure. Over a year left on my contract so I'll be patient and get my buzz on about whatever new device they drop on us then. In the meantime, I'll just keep supporting my DX devs.

Reaction score
if its anymore than $250 for a 2 year contract, im saying screw you and just gonna get a X, not worth $300 to me