HTC Thunderbolt Battery Test from SlashGear Reveals Potentially Weak Battery Life

funkyb

Reaction score
I was gonna say could we blame the size of the battery....but its a lil bigger than the battery in the Droid 2 and just based on rated talk times the Droid 2 has 3 hours longer rated talk time..

Is it the 4G? The cpu?

My money is on 4G + the giant bright LCD. If you look at the usage charts, screen seems to be 78-80% of all power drain during normal use, and that's at 35% brightness.

I also think there may be something related to being on the edge of a 4G area, and the phone constantly swapping between 3G and 4G radios. I look forward to apps to disable one or the other as needed.

All that said, I am getting as much as I'd expect given what is in this phone. It's 3pm here, I unplugged almost 9 hours ago and have used it heavily, and I'm still hovering just under 70%.

I have turned off all haptic feedback, keep the screen brightness down (heck, even at 0% I still think it's visible outdoors), and have manually set all my sync timings.

Mustang02

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6P/5X
My screen usage shows 80% and I have it down to 13% brightness. I turned off all sync except for mail(who actually wants stock updates and a lame weather sync?). I killed the battery in 4 hours with mobile hotspot as a test to see how it handled without power. I considered that pretty good since I have been surfing sites on my laptop and checking emails on the phone as well.

I'm right in the middle of my 4G area.

stuigi

Reaction score
I was gonna say could we blame the size of the battery....but its a lil bigger than the battery in the Droid 2 and just based on rated talk times the Droid 2 has 3 hours longer rated talk time..

Is it the 4G? The cpu?

I blame both the battery size and the massive screen.

I very happy we have removable batteries at least I can carry a extra battery if I need to.

Where is the extended battery and how much is it?

--Scott
Except for the fact that the battery door is a b@&*h to open

thenig7226

Reaction score
Well

You have to realize a battery will not perform optimally until it has had 2 or 3 recharges. The first charge and decharge will be much worse. If it still shows those results after the battery broken, there is a problem.

Mustang02

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6P/5X
You have to realize a battery will not perform optimally until it has had 2 or 3 recharges. The first charge and decharge will be much worse. If it still shows those results after the battery broken, there is a problem.
Ugh yeah that's not true. I'm on full charge 8 or 9. Still the same results.

thenig7226

Reaction score
man

man thats a bummer. It seems like a great phone otherwise.

Madcatzfight

Reaction score
Meh with 4g enabled and heavy usage I got 4 hours before my battery died. When I disabled 4g I am at 10 hours and counting with the same usage.

Mustang02

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6P/5X
Meh with 4g enabled and heavy usage I got 4 hours before my battery died. When I disabled 4g I am at 10 hours and counting with the same usage.
How did you disable 4G?

Dusty

Gold Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 3XL
#*#*4636*#*# - phone info - scroll down and select cdma prl.

No offense but that's a horrible solution. I tether often throughout the day. There's no way doing that is convenient. I'd rather carry 3 batteries.

ke0kie

Reaction score
Need feedback on

1) performance of extended battery vs. stock battery
2) identify if there are multiple extended batteries available, and which is best

I can already tell, this will be a 'plugged in if near power' device.

--Scott