1. You want that $100.00 in your pocket or an Amazon Fire TV don't you? Well here's the deal. With our new updated look we are in desperate need of an updated logo. The 'old' one has certainly served us well, but it's time. Find all the details here: bit.ly/1q0k6Wa
  2. DroidForums.net is currently undergoing a major software upgrade. If you are experiencing any problems logging in please: Contact Us

HTC Thunderbolt Battery Test from SlashGear Reveals Potentially Weak Battery Life

Discussion in 'Android News' started by dgstorm, Mar 18, 2011.

1. dgstorm

dgstorm Editor in Chief Staff Member Premium Member

[​IMG]

Some testers over at SlashGear took their shiny new HTC Thunderbolt for a "test-drive" of its battery life, and found it a bit lacking. They made it clear that this was only some preliminary real-world usage tests, and that more testing will come later. According to their experience,
    The above picture, at 70% battery life, was the result after that brief period of time. They continued to test throughout the day with what most people would consider "average to heavy" usage. After another hour and the same amount of usage, the battery life was at 50%.

Continued testing revealed,
    Obviously, this needs to be taken with a grain of salt, since this was just one HTC Thunderbolt. It is possible that their model simply came with a defective battery, or that with some OS tweaks one could get better life out of the battery.

[​IMG]

Of course, if this ends up being the typical battery life of the TBolt, then Verizon and HTC have some improvements and optimizations of their own to "workout", or at least some splainin'.

What do you think? If there are an forum members with a TBolt already, please share your battery life experience with us.

There are more pics at the source link below, and thanks to "cereal killer" for the story tip!

Source: AndroidCommunity and SlashGear
    Last edited: Mar 18, 2011
  2. Beardface

Beardface New Member

Unfortunately, this does not surprise me. The EVO gets miserable battery life (8 hours with little to no use), and this is practically the same phone. Even heard rumors a couple months ago this was the case and one of the reasons they delayed the release.

HTC makes a good device. Unfortunately, they have no idea how to make it not suck down battery like Kool Aid.
  3. Nukewire

Nukewire New Member

The battery life is very poor.. As soon as I got the phone yesterday I went home and charged it fully and ended up killing the battery three other times before the end of the day. I was using it pretty heavily but still the battery should perform better than that..:icon_eek:
  4. macdonaldj2

macdonaldj2 New Member

my phone went off charge today at a little before 9am EST and I haven't made any phone calls, looked up a phone number to a hotel using google maps, and gmail once...and at 12:42 PM it's at 71%...I do notice that in my notifications there are things running and I have no clue how to stop them...I can't wait to root this so I can run SetCPU and clock the processor for when the screen is off
  5. Nukewire

Nukewire New Member

Yeah once I have root and can change the profiles for the processor and remove the crap load of bloatware on the device I'll be happy!
  6. Dusty

Dusty Premium Member Premium Member

Yep. I know people reading this who don't have the phone may think we're just complainers and are piling on. But the TB will knock out your battery QUICKLY. When I got my phone from the store yesterday I had to recharge it since it came out of the box at 20%. Installing everything for my initial setup knocked my battery down to 20% in under 5 hours.

This morning I unplugged my phone and drove to work (35-40 minutes)... 85%.

I ordered a spare battery and I usually keep my phone plugged in at all times anyway. Let's see how I feel after a week or so.
  7. Jaxidian

Jaxidian Team FreeMyMoto Premium Member Developer

Is there that much bloat on it?
  8. nateccnn

nateccnn Member

Part of the problem with the battery life is the Battery Widget displays battery percentage down to the hundredth so you see it moving in one percentage increments. On my Droid OG the battery wodget only showed tenths of a percentage so it seemed like it was at 100% for almost an hour in the morning.

But reality also bites. I took my TB off the charger at 6:45 this morning. It is now 9:43. In three hours I have used it moderately. Checked email...searched the web a few times. 15 minute potty break read the DroidFoums. The battery life is at 76% now. Most days I would go home at the end of the day with my OG Droid at 60 or 70%.

I did all my syncing and app dowloads yesterday so the phone should be in a normal state today. I do know that I am having a hard time getting 3G service inside my building (never had trouble with the OG Droid). So I am thinking this phone has a weak antenna which causes the phone to work harder to maintain or search for a signal.

I also noted lastnight that the second half of the battery seems to take longer to deplete than the first half. No explanation for that. Maybe it was due to the phone finsihing the syncing or maybe because I have a better signal at home.

I still dont think the battery life is terrible. But it is worse than the OG Droid.

Nate
  9. matthewthegreat

matthewthegreat New Member

I love my thunderbolt but it's true the battery life is not as good as my OG Droid. I really haven't given it a fair test yet because I've been playing with A LOT since I got it but I can tell already the batt life is not great. Although I was expecting this to be the case when I bought it so I'm not surprised. Love the phone anyways.
  10. jroc

jroc Well-Known Member

I was gonna say could we blame the size of the battery....but its a lil bigger than the battery in the Droid 2 and just based on rated talk times the Droid 2 has 3 hours longer rated talk time..

Is it the 4G? The cpu?
  11. matthewthegreat

matthewthegreat New Member

I blame both the battery size and the massive screen.

I very happy we have removable batteries at least I can carry a extra battery if I need to.
  12. ke0kie

ke0kie New Member

Where is the extended battery and how much is it?

--Scott
  13. xmguy

xmguy New Member

If you are not in an LTE coverage area. There should be a programming menu that allows the LTE to be disabled and just use 3g and 1X. Saves on battery as the unit is always looking for a LTE signal.
  14. LifeIsABeach

LifeIsABeach New Member

What does Battery Usage say is taking up most of the battery life? Does the display suck a lot of juice? Just wonderin'...
  15. BGKris

BGKris New Member

make sure gps is turned off when not in use. It's on by default, didn't realize until I started playing a bit more.
  16. funwheeldrive

funwheeldrive New Member

My droid X has just as big of a screen and it gets terrific battery life.
  17. funkyb

funkyb New Member

My money is on 4G + the giant bright LCD. If you look at the usage charts, screen seems to be 78-80% of all power drain during normal use, and that's at 35% brightness.

I also think there may be something related to being on the edge of a 4G area, and the phone constantly swapping between 3G and 4G radios. I look forward to apps to disable one or the other as needed.

All that said, I am getting as much as I'd expect given what is in this phone. It's 3pm here, I unplugged almost 9 hours ago and have used it heavily, and I'm still hovering just under 70%.

I have turned off all haptic feedback, keep the screen brightness down (heck, even at 0% I still think it's visible outdoors), and have manually set all my sync timings.
  18. Mustang02

Mustang02 Well-Known Member

My screen usage shows 80% and I have it down to 13% brightness. I turned off all sync except for mail(who actually wants stock updates and a lame weather sync?). I killed the battery in 4 hours with mobile hotspot as a test to see how it handled without power. I considered that pretty good since I have been surfing sites on my laptop and checking emails on the phone as well.

I'm right in the middle of my 4G area.
  19. stuigi

stuigi Member

Except for the fact that the battery door is a b@&*h to open
  20. thenig7226

thenig7226 New Member

Well

You have to realize a battery will not perform optimally until it has had 2 or 3 recharges. The first charge and decharge will be much worse. If it still shows those results after the battery broken, there is a problem.
Search tags for this page
average battery life htc thunderbolt

average battery life of htc thunderbolt

how to make battery percentage come up on a thunderbolt?

htc thunderbolt average battery life

htc thunderbolt battery life

htc thunderbolt battery life test
thunderbolt extended battery test
what is the average battery life of the thunderbolt