Super Moderator
Premium Member
Reaction score
Hometown Brooklyn, NY Now Fuquay Varina, NC
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel XL/Galaxy Note 8
Twitter
DroidNCState

Phone Arena has a battery rundown of the Nexus 5, and it came back with pretty foretold results. From what I have been reading and what I got from others that have the new Nexus Phone is that the battery is not that good just like the Nexus 4 before this one and the Galaxy Nexus before that. I just wish they would deal with the battery issue. That would take help a lot with this device.

Google's Nexus 5 skimps on a few things to get to that juicy $350 price point without subsidies, and perhaps the most major one is its 2300 mAh battery capacity.

A brand new Nexus 5 with broken-in battery lasted 4 hours and 50 minutes on our standardized test, where the phones are running a taxing custom script with screens set at the same 200 nits brightness level. The results are in the ballpark of the Xperia Z1, iPhone 5s and Galaxy S4, but the Nexus 5 endurance is a far cry from the excellent 6 hours and 48 minutes of its forefather LG G2.

Granted, the G2 has a 3000 mAh unit, so its score is explicable, but what about the HTC One? It has the same 2300 mAh sealed battery unit capacity as the Nexus 5, yet lasts about 15% longer. All in all, the Nexus 5 battery test results are unimpressive, so almost daily charging would be the norm as with most smartphones. Still, the handset should get you through the working hours with normal usage, and that's what counts for decent battery life these days.

The handset's teardown showed that it is not overly hard to get to the battery and take it out with certain dismantling skills and a few tools handy, but that goes only for boosting its repairability score. This feat certainly doesn't count if you are the typical user handling a unibody Nexus 5 with embedded battery unit.

Are you surprised by the Nexus 5 battery test results, or is it about what you expected from the 2300 mAh juicer?

Nexus 5 battery life test

We measure battery life by running a custom script, replicating the power consumption of typical real-life usage.

nameTime Higher is better
LG G2 6h 48 min
HTC One 5h 45 min
Apple iPhone 5s 5h 2 min
Samsung Galaxy S4 4h 59 min
Google Nexus 5 4h 50 min
Sony Xperia Z1 4h 43 min

Our Nexus 5 battery life test is ready

Garemlin

Developer Relations
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
LG G3 (VZW), Nexus 7 v2
All the more reason to get a G2 and flash an AOSP ROM. :icon_ banana:

johnomaz

Silver Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel 2XL
If you're going to put the LG G2 on there, you should put the Note 3 on there. I'm very happy with its battery life.

jspradling7

Reaction score
We measure battery life by running a custom script, replicating the power consumption of typical real-life usage.

lol. I guess I'm not even close to typical then. My typical usage for the S4 and G2 are 4 or 5 times that long. But anyway, it is surprising that the N5 is that close to the others.

akhenax

Silver Member
Reaction score
All the more reason to get a G2 and flash an AOSP ROM. :icon_ banana:

The software optimizations could be why it's getting great battery life. If you put an AOSP Rom on it, you would be losing those optimizations from LG.

nickb34

Reaction score
If you go to the website, they have comparisons for the Note 2 and Note 3.... the G2 bests both of them in that test. Seems like the G2 has some pretty good value overall, or their test is flawed.

Big Ry

Reaction score
I thought KitKat had major tweaks to improve battery life?

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk

OP
Preach2k

Preach2k

Super Moderator
Premium Member
Reaction score
Hometown Brooklyn, NY Now Fuquay Varina, NC
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel XL/Galaxy Note 8
Twitter
DroidNCState
After looking into this some more I find that there are some people getting up to 14 hrs off of one charge on the Nexus 5. I have gotten at most 2 days and at least 18 hrs on a charge with my GNote3 with heavy use.

bkdodger

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Note 10+
I'd be curious on the N5 results once everyone gets to using them ...I'm too spoiled with my phone ...14 hrs doesn't cut it for me ..hehe
And I'd like too see results on LTE only ...I can go days on wifi ..lol

N3 tapa