[How To] Unlock Bootloader & Root Galaxy Nexus

otter34

Reaction score
After spending 3 damn days on the droid life guide and not being able to get the sdk working I'm so glad I found an "easier" method!!

I'm following everything word for word however when I install pdanet I noticed that if I check the apps on my phone it's not there even though I completed the installation of pdanet w/ no errors. It's not in my app drawer and it's not in astro. I Rebooted too. Should I proceed?

jleeusa

Reaction score
You should. I don't have any pdanet stuff on my phone just PC. Can you connect device to computer? If so keep going.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using DroidForums

04CiviCon20s

Reaction score
Am reading that most people have updated prior to completing this process which tells me , there's no issue doing this after update..Can the device be updated via wifi or does the update notification comes thru only if device is activated? I wanted to do this while my Thunderbolt is still active..Just in case.

moneymaker19

Reaction score
i already have bootloader unlocked .if i want to root do i just do the c:root commands? is there another command to reboot after the root commands? or do i have to go through the unlock bootloader process again?

otter34

Reaction score
You should. I don't have any pdanet stuff on my phone just PC. Can you connect device to computer? If so keep going.

No it says to launch from my phone, but I installed from the market, connected pda net, disconnected so it's fine....however it's still waiting for device

Last edited:

otter34

Reaction score
what does your screen in "bootloader" mode look like.. does it say "odin mode" at the top in red letters?
Mine says fastboot mode.....dos screen still says waiting on device and it's been at least 5 min. I can toggle the volume keys and restart bootloader, power off or recovery mode

otter34

Reaction score
Delete

Last edited:

otter34

Reaction score
Reinstall the Samsung driver for mobile phone, then run PDANet again and choose Samsumg, then try rooting again.

For what its worth I had no option to select a phone or anything when installing PDA net. It said it was installing for Google phones and just did. I didn't find it on my phone so I downloaded from the market. Then I verified I could connect to pdanet and that it worked. Is it OK to do it like that? I ask because I still am waiting for device again and wonder if its related to how I installed this?

silvercross79

Reaction score
Followed the guide, phone is unlocked but I can't get superuser installed. After unlocking bootloader do you reboot and double click the install superboot-windows.bat? I keep double clicking and still get waiting for device. It did boot up and took forever but no su binary.

SniperDroid

Reaction score
Can the device be updated via wifi or does the update notification comes thru only if device is activated? I wanted to do this while my Thunderbolt is still active..Just in case.

Same here, the Nexus is not yet activated as a phone and the LTE card is not installed. Just using WIFI and I keep getting the notifications to updatd.

GoHuskies

Reaction score
I followed these instructions and rooted successfully right out of the box (Verizon). However, after I activated, I installed the 4.0.2 upgrade that was waiting for me, and the phone un-rooted. The bootloader was still unlocked so I was able to re-root starting at step 10, but am I going to have to re-root every time there is an update?

wicked

Administrator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 3 XL
Twitter
@MikeAlvez
I followed these instructions and rooted successfully right out of the box (Verizon). However, after I activated, I installed the 4.0.2 upgrade that was waiting for me, and the phone un-rooted. The bootloader was still unlocked so I was able to re-root starting at step 10, but am I going to have to re-root every time there is an update?

If you lose root from an OTA, you don't need to do the unlocking part again so you dont get wiped, just start from step 17.

jpin321

Reaction score
Cant believe I'm having to ask for help but I've followed the directions to the T but i can't get root. I'm at the bootloader screen my fastboot status says download: 00467800 but it never goes to the black google screen it just sits here. I'm not sure where to go at this point.. suggestions?

Also when i first boot into the bootloader it says Fastboot status: FailInvalid Command