[How To] Unlock Bootloader & Root Galaxy Nexus

rubiksc00p

Reaction score
Somewhere on this amazing ball of creation!
Did anybody else's phones unroot themselves after the 4.0.3 update? I'm in the process of rerooting now. I didn't do anything out of the box came home and rooted unlocked, then installed the update... I went to install CWM after the update and it said I was denied root access... :blink:

firemangerald

Reaction score
Hey all my issue is that i am unlocked but when i double click to get root i dont get the google page and my phone does nothing. Ive tried it a few times no superuser. Ideas................?

OP
sbenson

sbenson

Silver Member
Reaction score
Hey all my issue is that i am unlocked but when i double click to get root i dont get the google page and my phone does nothing. Ive tried it a few times no superuser. Ideas................?

What does the command prompt say when you double click the root file? If nothing, you may have a corrupt file. Re-download the superboot file and try again. If you still have issues, re-install the drivers.

rasaun87

Reaction score
man mine cmd commands keep saying nnot recognize commands.... i did everything except when it says the android 1.0 thing, it says android instead of samsung.. i redownlaoded the drivers like 4 times smh

Reaction score
...27. Flip Verizon the bird....

[/LIST]

I was able to flip VZW the bird, thanks to you. And I have a broken screen on my laptop and was still able to do it in spite of it. So, thank you.

Should go to show people that if I can do it - with a broken screen - that even my ex wife can do this.

Thanks again, Boss!

Last edited:
Reaction score
man mine cmd commands keep saying nnot recognize commands.... i did everything except when it says the android 1.0 thing, it says android instead of samsung.. i redownlaoded the drivers like 4 times smh

Try opening your the directory where you have your adb.exe, fastboot.exe, etc and while pressing *Shift* right click the folder and choose "Open fommand prompt here" see if it takes.

That's how I had to get mine to go - after I uninstalled the Samsung drigers via Devife Manager and rebooting the computer and then manually updating the drivers back to Samsung again and on that same session is when I did the Shift key + right click trick. And it worked for me.

For example, my fastboot, adb command and that other one I cant remember right now (adbwin.dat or something) is C:\Android\Android-SDK\platform-tools. So while pressing *Shift* I right clicked platform-tools and selected "Open Command Prompt Here."

Reaction score
Did anybody else's phones unroot themselves after the 4.0.3 update? I'm in the process of rerooting now. I didn't do anything out of the box came home and rooted unlocked, then installed the update... I went to install CWM after the update and it said I was denied root access... :blink:

(Glad to see a familiar name)

(And sorry for the multiple posts. And blpwing up the thread).

Just so I can be ready for this when I either feel lime takong the leaked 4.0.3 or taking the official one, did you keep your unlocked bootloader? Or just lose root? If its just root, its not a big deal for me on this thing. Espefially because of a super uber easy way of rerooting at GalaxyNexusForum.com the root is in a .zip. so all you do os flash clockwork recovery (the toro.img) and then flash the su.zip file and BOOM! You're rooted. I used this forum and another to unlock the bootloader, then used the .zip to root. It took me like 2 seconds. Lol

sefirosu0522

Reaction score
Hey guys after I type: fastboot-windows oem unlock, My DOS window just hangs at waiting for devices. Not getting any options. Any ideas?

hookerdj

Reaction score
yeah i know exactly what it is go back and install pdanet drivers again and make sure you install the correct one 32 or 64 bit

Hey guys after I type: fastboot-windows oem unlock, My DOS window just hangs at waiting for devices. Not getting any options. Any ideas?

rubiksc00p

Reaction score
Somewhere on this amazing ball of creation!
(Glad to see a familiar name)

(And sorry for the multiple posts. And blpwing up the thread).

Just so I can be ready for this when I either feel lime takong the leaked 4.0.3 or taking the official one, did you keep your unlocked bootloader? Or just lose root? If its just root, its not a big deal for me on this thing. Espefially because of a super uber easy way of rerooting at GalaxyNexusForum.com the root is in a .zip. so all you do os flash clockwork recovery (the toro.img) and then flash the su.zip file and BOOM! You're rooted. I used this forum and another to unlock the bootloader, then used the .zip to root. It took me like 2 seconds. Lol

Yep... it stayed unlocked. Pretty sure that wouldn't change at all with any software updates. It was the official update and I ran the command for rooting after the update and it rooted just fine. Just was kinda funny when I ran superuser and it told me access was denied! :p

Sent from the best phone on Verizon!

Edit: it's 4.0.2 not .3! ;)

Last edited: