[How To] Unlock Bootloader & Root Galaxy Nexus

bmr7c

Reaction score
Can't get it. After I enter fastboot-windows oem unlock it says its not recognized. Any suggestions?

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using DroidForums

bmr7c

Reaction score
And after I put it in fast boot mode and plug it in I don't see Android 1 in device tools at all. Is it under something in device tools? Idk.

1ceFiend

Reaction score
I was getting frustrated yesterday. But I did get it rooted and love it! Have you read through the previous pages? Because a few of us had similar issues and we also posted what we did to get it to work. Might help. Seems like it can be a little different for all of us...

bmr7c

Reaction score
When I plug phone in with it turned off computer says that correct drivers not installed. I've dl'd them like 3 times and can't get the galaxy ones to take. Of the three the galaxy one says failed when it does a check. I'll try again I guess. Looking like its the computer not getting the drivers installed correctly....I guess

bmr7c

Reaction score
I go under os (c:) program files and i can see Samsung USB drivers. So I see they are there.

lazarus2297

Reaction score
I go under os (c:) program files and i can see Samsung USB drivers. So I see they are there.

ok turn usb debugging on and plug in phone while phone is powered on. and check the device manager and see if you have a device called
Samsung android phone
expand that and it should say something like samsung adb interface?
try replacing that driver manually with this one Multiupload.com - upload your files to multiple file hosting sites!
and see if that helps the computer see the phone when trying to run the fastboot-windows oem unlock command.

bmr7c

Reaction score
ok turn usb debugging on and plug in phone while phone is powered on. and check the device manager and see if you have a device called
Samsung android phone
expand that and it should say something like samsung adb interface?
try replacing that driver manually with this one Multiupload.com - upload your files to multiple file hosting sites!
and see if that helps the computer see the phone when trying to run the fastboot-windows oem unlock command.

Your spot on. So how do I manually replace that driver? Is it a simple right click deal?

lazarus2297

Reaction score
Your spot on. So how do I manually replace that driver? Is it a simple right click deal?

well you have to unzip that package (remember where you unzip it to)
1.right click and select update driver software
2.choose browse my computer
3.let me pick from a list of drivers on my computer
4.click "have disk"
5. navigate to where you unzipped that package and choose the driver android_winusb.inf

once you update the driver in device manager you should see

>samsung android phone
>>adb interface (notice this time it shouldn't say samsung here)

this is all assuming you have windows 7... with XP it is similar but the wording could be a bit different..

lazarus2297

Reaction score
mine says samsung android phone so is mine right?

apparently it appears to vary... I can only speak for what worked for me.. and after i manually updated that driver and it changed to "adb interface" as opposed to samsung adb interface i got it to work... i have yet to see android 1.0 device like the OP refers to.. not saying he's wrong just I have still not seen that in my device manager.

1FZFE

Reaction score
Worked flawlessly. The hardest part was waiting for the Samsung drivers to install. It literally took about an hour.

hookerdj

Reaction score
im ust giving up it says looking or waiting for device it wont connect i dunno why all my drivers are there like they are supposed to be i dunno?