[How To] Unlock Bootloader & Root Galaxy Nexus

cereal killer

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nokia Lumia Icon
Take this with a grain of salt, but according to P3Droid, he alluded to the fact that the Nexus may some how keep track whether or not it's been unlocked. I don't know if it's true or even possible...

Not that it means anything but I've heard grumblings about the boot loader as well. I can tell you that it is/was a big security concern of Verizon's.

I don't know anything beyond that so nothing will surprise me once its released. I am very curious to see the outcome though. I don't expect it to be locked but I wouldn't be shocked to be perfectly honest.

Sent from Droid RAZR

winner00

Premium Member
Premium Member
Developer
Reaction score
Not saying this is a bad method but someone over on android forums said it caused bootloops on his LTE Galaxy Nexus. I would recommend doing a manual method until it gets fixed. Here's the guide: [HOW TO] Root the Samsung Galaxy Nexus - Android Forums

I am using the (Slightly) Easier Manual Method. This method doesn't require you to have the android sdk installed because everything is in the zip you download. You still have to enter in all the fastboot and adb commands though which isn't hard at all. I would highly recommend doing it this way to avoid problems.

Also another thing. DON"T flash the GSM CWM Recovery on the LTE Nexus. I don't care what people say just wait till theres one officially released for it.

Last edited:

alucard9114

Reaction score
Im confused on this step

Open up the command prompt in Windows:
cd C:/
cd root

• Click Start Menu, then in the search bar type: cmd (this will open the command prompt);
  • Type the following, pressing enter after each line:

Snow02

Reaction score
Im confused on this step

Open up the command prompt in Windows:
cd C:/
cd root

• Click Start Menu, then in the search bar type: cmd (this will open the command prompt);
  • Type the following, pressing enter after each line:

The instructions say to unzip the files to a folder called root. cd root changes the current directory to root - the folder you just made with the files in it.

alucard9114

Reaction score
Also here it says to type the following and is blank?

• Type the following, in the command prompt:
  1. You will receive a warning about unlocking. Use the volume keys to select an option and use the power button to confirm.
  2. Your bootloader will now say it's unlocked at the bottom of the screen.
  3. Now, to root your device, simply double click: install-superboot-windows.bat that you originally placed in the root folder in step 2.
  4. Reboot your phone and enjoy root privileges.

natezire71

Reaction score
I don't think we can unlock the Verizon Nexus bootloader... This method and the ADB method don't work.

bigeric828

Reaction score
Guess im one of the few thats going to wait a week or so before diving in.

Enjoy guys!

captdroid

Reaction score
Guess im one of the few thats going to wait a week or so before diving in.

Enjoy guys!

Nah I might wait to unlock and root as well... I would prefer to have the entire stock ROM image for Galaxy Nexus LTE to flash back to stock before going to the dark side ;) Just in case... :)

czerdrill

Silver Member
Reaction score
OP updated with a slight tweak. I have personally confirmed that this works. Enjoy.

I just got an update pushed to the phone. Did you update yours also before rooting/unlocking? or did you do it out of the box?