How to train a Li-Ion Battery

doublea500

Reaction score
Once i get the Galaxy Nexus, i know i will have to "train" the battery.

I know that I should let it charge all the way down then charge it back up to 100% for the first run.

Besides that, what else should i do once i first get my phone/daily?

Is the routine of charging overnight good for a battery?

guidot

Developer Relations
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
TBH, I have never followed this 100-dead business. I always charge it full before activation, then use as normal and it is always plugged in overnight.

Also, if you get into ROMs, I always flash at 90% battery or higher. Just one of those OCD things I guess.

bigkhan

Reaction score
You dont need to condition these batteries. That was the old NiCad batteries. There are charging methods that help them last a little longer though. Others know more than I do about this though.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using DroidForums

mightybrick

Reaction score
I know that I should let it charge all the way down then charge it back up to 100% for the first run.
This is false for Li-ion batteries. This is rule-of-thumb with Nickle-based batteries, but has incorrectly been applied to Li-ion.
They have no memory effect, which means that you do not have to completely discharge them before recharging, as with some other battery chemistries
If you completely discharge a lithium-ion battery, it is ruined.
Quotes taken from HowStuffWorks "How Lithium-ion Batteries Work"

catfisher

Reaction score
This is false for Li-ion batteries. This is rule-of-thumb with Nickle-based batteries, but has incorrectly been applied to Li-ion.

Quotes taken from HowStuffWorks "How Lithium-ion Batteries Work"

I agree with the above. Do whatever makes you feel better about your battery. You don't need to train it unless mayhap the manufacturer says to.

Sent from my DROIDX using DroidForums

Quicksilver7714

Super Moderator
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Actually there is circuitry in Li-ion batterys that prevent a true full discharge of the battery. But as stated above if it was possible to drain a Li-ion battery all the way down to zero it would not function. Phones only operate on certain voltages once a battery is unable to produce the required voltage the phone recognizes it as Dead/empty and it shuts off. There is still a charge in the battery but it is two weak to power the phone.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

OP
doublea500

doublea500

Reaction score
Wow, thanks guys. im going to charge it to 0% anyways, just to be safe. it cant hurt. Verizon reps told me to charge it to 0%. It just shows how little they acutally know about androids

xliderider

Reaction score
Wow, thanks guys. im going to charge it to 0% anyways, just to be safe. it cant hurt. Verizon reps told me to charge it to 0%. It just shows how little they acutally know about androids

Actually, discharging LiIon batteries down to low levels does harm the battery. Do it enough, and your battery will not hold a charge as well. Long story short, top off the charge whenever (like nightly), rather than let it run down to low levels.

Androidatic

Reaction score

Don't listen to the Verizon reps. We know much more about phones than they do.

When I was looking at the Razr I was showing the rep that sold me the phone things about it that he was totally unaware of. Then I started asking questions that I already knew the answer to and he was wrong about every single one.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk

mopar57

Theme Developer
Theme Developer
Reaction score
Don't listen to the Verizon reps. We know much more about phones than they do.

When I was looking at the Razr I was showing the rep that sold me the phone things about it that he was totally unaware of. Then I started asking questions that I already knew the answer to and he was wrong about every single one.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk

That's always fun!

OP
doublea500

doublea500

Reaction score
so what are you guys going to do for the battery when you first get the phone?

jleeusa

Reaction score

If they know so little, why are you going to do what they say?

Sent from my Droid using DroidForums

OP
doublea500

doublea500

Reaction score
its in my blood. When clearing battery stats, the guides say to charge it to 100% then clear then DIScharge to 0 and charge back to 100. So why does that apply there and not in this situation?