Li-ion Battery Inventor Is Working On A Next Generation Battery

DroidModderX

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
creator-of-lithium-ion-batteries-helps-develop-a-better-safer-and-longer-lasting-battery.jpg

The 94 year old co-creator of the first lithium ion battery, John B. Goodenough, is currently working on a next generation battery solution. He along with researcher Maria Helena Braga has created a new low cost solid state battery that is safer and more energy efficient than the traditional Li-ion batteries. These new batteries apparently contain 3 times the power density of Li-ion batteries, and can charge much faster. These batteries can also get many more charging cycles. The tech is comprised of glass electrolytes. This means the batteries should be safer as they aren't able to form dendrites when charged too quickly which cause short circuits leading to fires. While this is a very exciting development don't expect to see this battery hit the market any time soon.

via Engadget

Jonny Kansas

Administrator
Staff member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
Twitter
jonny_ks
94!? That's amazing. Sounds like great tech. I hope it works out in the long run and we see it come to market in our devices.

Amagine

Reaction score
Sounds similar to the ceramic battery technology the industry has been attempting the last few years. They work. The problem right now is manufacturing them to scale.

liftedplane

Gold Member
Reaction score
I'm sorry but if no one else will comment on this guys name I will.

John B. Goodenough

seriously, that is the most epic name I've EVER heard... it's almost like a setup for one of those juvenile jokes from when I was in school.

hopefully we get this sooner than later.

Sajo

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 7 Pro
I'm sorry but if no one else will comment on this guys name I will.

John B. Goodenough

seriously, that is the most epic name I've EVER heard... it's almost like a setup for one of those juvenile jokes from when I was in school.

hopefully we get this sooner than later.
I honestly didn't even catch that when I read the post. I like it! I guess that means everything he has done in life and manufactured has been good enough?

Edit: He does seem like a remarkable person that has done great things for the tech industry. It's amazing that he's still going strong at 94. That's pretty cool. I too hope his new technology works out well and we can see it in use in the near future.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk