How to train a Li-Ion Battery

Creed

Reaction score
Don't listen to the Verizon reps. We know much more about phones than they do.

When I was looking at the Razr I was showing the rep that sold me the phone things about it that he was totally unaware of. Then I started asking questions that I already knew the answer to and he was wrong about every single one.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk

Slightly off-topic but I went to look at a Razr too and found it basically dead in the default recovery and the reps didn't know what to do and I fixed it :p Then I showed off and told them how to do a "battery pull" using the power+volume button technique.

EAK

Reaction score
I think this discharge to 0 and then fully charge thing might be for the phone's software to sync up with the battery, could be wrong though, just a thought.

Fr33dom

Reaction score
Actually, you don't need to condition the battery, but you do need to "condition" the phone. It keeps track of your battery stats and needs to know where full is at. Your phone will come about half charged so charge it fully and use it.

The full discharge stuff is actually something you would reportedly do to reset the batterystats.bin on your phone in case it stops reflecting the true strength of the battery. Some say you should do this every now and then, but I'm not so sure. The only time I did it on my D1 was when I replaced the ROM.

Here is some good information on batteries of this sort: Weird and Wonderful Batteries - Battery University

It generally takes about a week for the phone to know the battery, so expect bad strength the first couple days, and don't start worrying until after a week. After that, if you don't make it through the day, try the full discharge thing, and then wait another week.

Some other things to note:
  1. The OS has added several things to help make your battery last the day.
  2. Leaving your phone in the charger while you sleep is not harmful.
  3. The more you try to do with your phone, the less battery you'll have. So if your expectation is that you can listen to music all day and watch videos and call and text and play games... keep a charger handy.

DaKlaxx

Reaction score
Wow, thanks guys. im going to charge it to 0% anyways, just to be safe. it cant hurt. Verizon reps told me to charge it to 0%. It just shows how little they acutally know about androids

You shouldn't discharge your lithium ion batterys as said before its prevented to discharge all the way witch makes the battery stronger and last longer but when their phone reads the battery ad zero it harms the chemicals in the battery so it doesn't last as long so do as you will yes but fact is fact of you have any questions message me my father works with making all types off batterys
Ps anyone who can sell you the battery( Verizon ) will tell you something to shorten its life its how you make money I love Verizon but all companies do it

- Brought to you by
- DaKlaxx

OP
doublea500

doublea500

Reaction score
You shouldn't discharge your lithium ion batterys as said before its prevented to discharge all the way witch makes the battery stronger and last longer but when their phone reads the battery ad zero it harms the chemicals in the battery so it doesn't last as long so do as you will yes but fact is fact of you have any questions message me my father works with making all types off batterys
Ps anyone who can sell you the battery( Verizon ) will tell you something to shorten its life its how you make money I love Verizon but all companies do it

- Brought to you by
- DaKlaxx

You have convinced me. I will take it out and use it as i would my phone now. this was probably answered indirectly but id like to ask it again- Would it be better to charge to a low % like 10-20 on the first charge?

OP
doublea500

doublea500

Reaction score
View attachment 43099

How to train a li-on? I normally use a whip and chair.

at first i didnt find it funny. i thought you were just using the word train and whip and chair. i was about to post "i wish i found that funny" as didnt see the lion part :D. now its funny!

DaKlaxx

Reaction score
You have convinced me. I will take it out and use it as i would my phone now. this was probably answered indirectly but id like to ask it again- Would it be better to charge to a low % like 10-20 on the first charge?

You don't need to calibrate an ion battery so there is no need, charge to 100% the second you get the phone and it will be good. The only collaboration a ion battery does is timing it remembers so it helps if you charge it around the same time every day. The more you use your phone the more " collaborated " your battery will be twoards you. If me and you were to swap phones for a day I promise you your phone would die by noon with me doing my every day things I do on my phone but you using my phone would probably last you a day or two. In simplest terms unless you have a stone- age phone with one of the old batterys, the first charge is not important just charge it the same as you would the 5934th time.

- Brought to you by
- DaKlaxx

DaKlaxx

Reaction score
You don't need to calibrate an ion battery so there is no need, charge to 100% the second you get the phone and it will be good. The only collaboration a ion battery does is timing it remembers so it helps if you charge it around the same time every day. The more you use your phone the more " collaborated " your battery will be twoards you. If me and you were to swap phones for a day I promise you your phone would die by noon with me doing my every day things I do on my phone but you using my phone would probably last you a day or two. In simplest terms unless you have a stone- age phone with one of the old batterys, the first charge is not important just charge it the same as you would the 5934th time.

- Brought to you by
- DaKlaxx

So no just charge to 100%

- Brought to you by
- DaKlaxx

DwightMann

Reaction score
Lithium batteries do not develop memory, so there is no need to cycle then or harm in keeping them charged

Sent from my C771 using DroidForums

OP
doublea500

doublea500

Reaction score

- Brought to you by
- DaKlaxx

last question. can i use it while its being charged to 100%?

KeepItReal

Reaction score
From what I read from Lithium battery makers, they recommend the discharge/recharge method. Also works on revamping your Laptops lithium battery as well. May not get you back to max, but it gains you something. In addition, the phone's charge circuitry slows down charging as it approaches full charge, to a slow trickle charge, especially when the device is on. Charges faster when the device, phone or laptop, is off. Laptop batteries last 45 minutes vs the 2 hours you got when your first got the laptop (also 6 cells are the standard, 8 and higher cells are premium $$). you can do the discharge/charge and gain maybe 20 minutes back.

In addition, batteries, including Lithium laptop batteries, have "plug in" rating. Cell phone batteries are rated for 300-500 plugs-ins (not exact). If you charge it every day you use 1 - so every day charging or 2 times a day diminishes this plug-in lifespan. If you could run the battery down and charge less frequently, you can extend this total lifespan of the battery.

Snow02

Reaction score
In addition, batteries, including Lithium laptop batteries, have "plug in" rating. Cell phone batteries are rated for 300-500 plugs-ins (not exact). If you charge it every day you use 1 - so every day charging or 2 times a day diminishes this plug-in lifespan. If you could run the battery down and charge less frequently, you can extend this total lifespan of the battery.

This is definitely false. There are charge cycle ratings, but charging from 50-100 twice is still only one cycle.

KeepItReal

Reaction score
Went to batteryuniversity.com and took a class! lol.... Here is a quote that opened my eyes!
"If at all possible, avoid frequent full discharges and charge more often between uses. If full discharges cannot be avoided, try utilizing a larger battery. Partial discharge on Li-ion is fine; there is no memory and the battery does not need periodic full discharge cycles other than to calibrate the fuel gauge on a smart battery." This was from the article on 'How to Prolong Lithium-based batteries'.

Sent from my Xoom using DroidForums