How to sell the Motorola X?

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score

moto-x.jpg

If you read my initial Motorola X review you will see that my opinion of the device shifted from seeing it as a colossal failure to a solid device. With that said, I do not see how Motorola can sell that device up against the HTC One, S4, Droid Ultra Maxx, the upcoming Note 3 and the new iPhone.

Seeing it in the AT&T store with most of the features deactivated sitting next to the S4, HTC One, and the iPhone 5, there is nothing that will gravitate you to that phone. Many are aware of the Note 3 and the new iPhone releasing soon. Samsung is coming off a lot of momentum from the original Note, the S3, the S4 and the Note 2 which people love, so you can expect people to be anticipating the Note 3. Also, Apple is going to continue to sell iPhones.

On Verizon looking at the Droid Ultra Maxx, I really can not see passing it up for the Moto X. So, knowing what you are up against in competition, including the cost in trying to keep an American made phone, I want you to play marketing exec. Let's see what plans you can come up with to sell this phone.

In other words convince me and others why I should pass up on all these other devices to buy this Moto X. Get creative with it, whether it be a quick Youtube video, photos, etc. (Please keep it clean.) Whomever can come up with the best idea will win a $25 gift card.

Last edited by a moderator:

bweN diorD

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
G2
i think there add should revolve around a mission impossible theme, because that's what moto is up against.

KaChow

Reaction score
I truly think that the Moto X is a marketers dream. The device is not meant to be a premium device; we know this from the specs and reviews. It is not meant to sit next to an HTC One, or Samsung GS4, or LG G2, or any of those top performing premium devices. The goal with this device is simple this, take out Apple. The easiest way to knock a Giant down is to sweep the legs. To do this Motorola needs to slash the price on Moto X, lose money to make BIG money. The Moto X should be sold Carrier Unlocked from the Playstore with No Contract for $349, available in Black or White. As for the all US and International Carriers, they should all have full access simultaneously to Moto-Maker, if you want a fully-custom device on any carrier it should be there the way you want it. In addition all these devices should come with a Bootloader Unlockable (Non Developer Required.) At the same time the contracted price for this device should fall in at $149 for the 16GB, and $199 for the 32GB versions from Moto-Maker. If these devices were fully customizable, available this way on any carrier, attractively priced and can fly off the shelf this way faster than Nike custom sneakers, you would see an Android takeover with Moto X out in the lead.

dezymond

Tech Support Mod
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel
I think they had one key upperhand, hardware customization, but ruined it for themselves by only allowing it on AT&T so far. If they wanted to aim this at the general public (which I think they are trying to do), they should've made Motomaker available to all carriers. Society today seems to be more about individuality, and that is something the X can offer, but only if you're on AT&T, so they've limited it.

Also releasing the new Droid lineup days before the X went up on sale was another bullet in their own foot. As much as they've pushed and advertised for the X, they undercut themselves with the new Droid lineup AND the fact that if you get the X on Verizon you only get black or white. Throw in the price of the device compared to its top tier competitors and there really is no reason to get the X. At this point, imo, the X is once again the step child of Verizon much like how the Nexus was.

jspradling7

Reaction score
The ONLY way I can think of to sell that device is to try to make it "cool" through advertising... and I mean a LOT of advertising... no, I mean more advertising than that. : ) Seriously, they are going to have to imprint that X on everything including kids minds. And the above mentioned price cut may be necessary. No SIM locks. I'm not sure if a bootloader unlock will help that much in mass sales but it can't hurt. Sorry, I can't make videos. I guess your question is what to put in the advertising... I don't know, it has to be colorful, kids laughing and sharing, and borrowing, it has to focus on people having tons of fun with it.

Last edited:
OP
pc747

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score
I truly think that the Moto X is a marketers dream. The device is not meant to be a premium device; we know this from the specs and reviews. It is not meant to sit next to an HTC One, or Samsung GS4, or LG G2, or any of those top performing premium devices. The goal with this device is simple this, take out Apple. The easiest way to knock a Giant down is to sweep the legs. To do this Motorola needs to slash the price on Moto X, lose money to make BIG money. The Moto X should be sold Carrier Unlocked from the Playstore with No Contract for $349, available in Black or White. As for the all US and International Carriers, they should all have full access simultaneously to Moto-Maker, if you want a fully-custom device on any carrier it should be there the way you want it. In addition all these devices should come with a Bootloader Unlockable (Non Developer Required.) At the same time the contracted price for this device should fall in at $149 for the 16GB, and $199 for the 32GB versions from Moto-Maker. If these devices were fully customizable, available this way on any carrier, attractively priced and can fly off the shelf this way faster than Nike custom sneakers, you would see an Android takeover with Moto X out in the lead.

I think they had one key upperhand, hardware customization, but ruined it for themselves by only allowing it on AT&T so far. If they wanted to aim this at the general public (which I think they are trying to do), they should've made Motomaker available to all carriers. Society today seems to be more about individuality, and that is something the X can offer, but only if you're on AT&T, so they've limited it.

Also releasing the new Droid lineup days before the X went up on sale was another bullet in their own foot. As much as they've pushed and advertised for the X, they undercut themselves with the new Droid lineup AND the fact that if you get the X on Verizon you only get black or white. Throw in the price of the device compared to its top tier competitors and there really is no reason to get the X. At this point, imo, the X is once again the step child of Verizon much like how the Nexus was.

You both make good points about motomaker. I too think they hurt themselves making it exclusive to att. Att is not really advertising it, at least not at my store. The moto X in an att store gets lost easily so to release an important part of selling this device exclusively to a carrier who is not going to push it like they should may cost them. If any thing they probably could have gotten away with making it a best buy exclusive. Next week Samsung will be unveiling the Note 3 so another device will push the X to the back page. The window Motorola had may be closing fast. In my opinion.

As far as taking out the iphone...yeah too late. If they were going to do that they should have done like samsung with the s4 and released it earlier in the year. You can not release that phone with that little notoriety up against a new iphone. Iphone mania is going to engulf any kind of hype motorola can come up with. We talking about every news outlet with cameras outside apple stores and news anchors saying the "this is the best iphone ever" line. Yeah good luck with that.

OP
pc747

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score
The ONLY way I can think of to sell that device is to try to make it "cool" through advertising... and I mean a LOT of advertising... no, I mean more advertising than that. : ) Seriously, they are going to have to imprint that X on everything including kids minds. And the above mentioned price cut may be necessary. No SIM locks. I'm not sure if a bootloader unlock will help that much in mass sales but it can't hurt. Sorry, I can't make videos. I guess your question is what to put in the advertising... I don't know, it has to be colorful, kids laughing and sharing, and borrowing, it has to focus on people having tons of fun with it.

You may have something.

This is who you could advertise to.

Infact I am about to compete in my own contest ;)

The Motorola X
motox.2x299.jpg

the exclusive phone of

X-Games-2.jpg

OP
pc747

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Motorola Google you are welcome you can thank me by sending me a moto x decked in red and gold with an unlockable bootloader.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Tapatalk 2

KaChow

Reaction score
You both make good points about motomaker. I too think they hurt themselves making it exclusive to att. Att is not really advertising it, at least not at my store. The moto X in an att store gets lost easily so to release an important part of selling this device exclusively to a carrier who is not going to push it like they should may cost them. If any thing they probably could have gotten away with making it a best buy exclusive. Next week Samsung will be unveiling the Note 3 so another device will push the X to the back page. The window Motorola had may be closing fast. In my opinion.

As far as taking out the iphone...yeah too late. If they were going to do that they should have done like samsung with the s4 and released it earlier in the year. You can not release that phone with that little notoriety up against a new iphone. Iphone mania is going to engulf any kind of hype motorola can come up with. We talking about every news outlet with cameras outside apple stores and news anchors saying the "this is the best iphone ever" line. Yeah good luck with that.

It really is disappointing how the Moto X was advertised. I keep looking at the way Verizon straight-forwardly puts it under the ground, with this picture comparison.

After looking at this comparison, I am completely withdrawn from looking at the Moto X at least with Verizon. I happen to really like that BestBuy Exclusivity idea, I could certainly see them Marketing that device like crazy. At the same time if Motorola wanted to go really BIG on "Made in the USA" they could've had a Moto-Maker kiosk setup in a BestBuy store, a retail space like what Samsung does. With US workers assembling the finishing touches on a custom designed device. Now that would have been impressive and that certainly would have had a huge impression on US consumers. At the same though this device should have been at least marketed more like the Samsung GS3, when it came out for multiple carriers. Oh-well.

Last edited:

gadgetrants

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel
Nicely done. I agree with 99.9%.

I'd only add two minor thoughts. First, unsubsidized price from Google's Play Store should be $299. That should be good enough to cause a bit of mass hysteria (look at how $199 for the N4 is already causing a stir).

Second, MAKE SURE THERE IS AN LTE VERSION THAT WORKS ON VERIZON'S NETWORK. Seems like a no-brainer, but as I did a mental inventory of the OG Nexus One...Nexus S...Galaxy Nexus...Nexus 4...yep, pretty much...all four phones were a DISASTER for Verizon customers, either because (a) a Verizon version was never released, or (b) if it was, it arrived later than other carriers, was heavily strapped down by Verizon, Google withdrew support for the CMDA radio, Verizon put a choke-hold on the upgrade timeline, or some combination of all those problems. So yeah, I'm a little miffed. And wondering why Google can produce a phone for the other three carriers but it's always such a struggle to produce one that Verizon will tolerate without trying to micromanage.

-Matt

badtoy1986

Reaction score

You beat me to it....

dezymond

Tech Support Mod
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel

Moto missed the window for the X on Verizon by a mile and then some. No customization, release AFTER new Droid lineup, and most importantly, pricepoint. I don't see anyone picking the X on Verizon vs any other device going for $199. For $199 you can get phones such as the s4, One, or Note 2 and that's not even counting the new Droids.

I remember one of the first things mentioned about the X (well once it was officially announced); customization. Users other than those on AT&T get to choose between black or white, wow what a choice. Moto took away the X's strongest selling point by making customizing exclusive and then botched it again by pricing it at $199 w/ new contract.

Don't get me wrong, I am still very interested by this phone only cause of the technology. However, I can find that same technology (hardware at least) in the Ultra or the Maxx. Moto really did beat themselves on Verizon's network. Had they put customization since release maybe the $199 could be justified, but that's not an option for now at least. Show any new buyer with no brand loyalty a s4, One, Maxx, and X, I'd be shocked if the X was chosen.

At this point the only way to save the X on Verizon is to enable MotoMaker AND drop the price. I could definitely see myself getting an X if it were priced at $149 w/ new contract AND had MotoMaker. Just my .02

Last edited:

gadgetrants

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel
I really shouldn't repeat the same rant I've already generated elsewhere, but dez's comment lit a fire underneath me. :)

Lemme see if I can be a bit more concise than I was the last time I ranted...

...OK, first: they said it would have amazing brains (adaptive responding, i.e., "contextual awareness") and well...meh.

Next, they said it would be made in America. And then...yeah, not a real selling point (it's ALL about PRICE and PERFORMANCE baby).

Then, they said it would be CHEEEEAAAPPP, like maybe even $200 carrier-free. That was probably just a wild rumor, but it was a nice one. Never had a chance.

Oh yeah, they said it would have a magical Clear Pixel camera and what do we hear now? Yeah...it's...OK.

What else...oh, I remember the sneak peak (sorta) when Woodside talked about the device in his pocket. Lotta hype there.

I think maybe the last thing we heard was that Googorola was gonna sell this thing HARD, like OG Droid hard, like tens of millions of dollars hard. But if that's true, it seems they put the ads in the wrong markets, or they're airing at 2am cuz we're just not seeing them like we hoped we would.

I'm really confused that the whole thing seems to be fizzling out so fast. Of course it's not over 'til it's over. Maybe by the time they hit the Verizon floors, there will be something in the X to be a little more excited about.

-Matt

xeene

Gold Member
Reaction score
moto needs to cut off contract price in half and give these out free with contracts on all carriers, yesterday, also push the customizable covers. otherwise this phone is already forgotten like old news, especially on verizon which is majority of this country.

they REALLY missed the target with this device, could have made a huge impact in cellular world but i think they've failed miserably.

skennelly

Reaction score
The way Motorola sells this phone is easy:

"Unlimited data/$30 per month with the purchase of a Motorola X"