How to sell the Motorola X?

jspradling7

Reaction score
When Verizon first offered pre-order on the Droid Maxx I signed up, I later canceled it and chose to wait for the G2. If I changed my mind again and decided to grab another Moto, I would still pick a Maxx over the X. The X has a tough row to hoe.

Last edited:

squeak

Reaction score
It's quite simple, make it match up to the hype it had before the announcement. It would be the best selling android device, period.

mountainbikermark

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
The ONLY advantage over the others ?
Made In America. Dodge did a very good job of marketing their product by going after the patriotic part in people.
Moto needs to either figure out a way to market the advantage or cut its losses and move on.
Granted it wouldn't boost overseas sales but the way they're marketing it now they're not going to sell a ton of them anywhere.

Support Our Troops!!!
<><

OP
pc747

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score
The ONLY advantage over the others ?
Made In America. Dodge did a very good job of marketing their product by going after the patriotic part in people.
Moto needs to either figure out a way to market the advantage or cut its losses and move on.
Granted it wouldn't boost overseas sales but the way they're marketing it now they're not going to sell a ton of them anywhere.

Support Our Troops!!!
<><

Another good point. I wonder what is going though their heads right now. Are they trying to figure out ways to sell, have they already thrown in the towel, or they dazed and confused, or are they ok with the loss because the same tech is used in the droid devices so the sells for that phone they are expecting to offset the losses with the X?

The big talk 6-7 months ago was that motorola still have to clear out the pipeline of phones. Well if the droid ultra is the pipeline and the motorola X is an indication of things to come the Motorola could be in trouble. I am beginning to think the in-fighting rumored to have taken place between google and motorola over the X may have some merit to it.

For motorola to compete with Samsung, HTC, and Apple they have to play on their level. They can not continue releasing phones like this. If anything they should have released the X back in the Spring with the S4 and HTC One instead of wait until now to compete with their own product. They are going to have to find that "it" factor that sets it apart from the other devices. Other than the Ultra Maxx with its massive battery power in a small frame I really do not see the "it" factor in the Motorola line that sets it apart from other devices. People point to battery life but the note 2 battery life is on par with the max and the s4 and HTC one is not that bad. SO other oems are finally catching up bringing an all day battery to LTE devices. Motorola radios: Yes motorola makes the best radios and that would be the selling point if we still had the horrible LTE radios that were in the galaxy nexus and Droid charge. Now Samsung's LTE radios are much better. Where I had this built up hate toward them with my nexus all that went away the moment I powered up my note 2. All day with out a hiccup whether it be LTE, GPS, Bluetooth, or WIfi it works as it should. And based on people with the HTC one the same can be said by it. Motorola build quality: Yes that sets it apart some what but we still see razrs with spiderwebbed screens. So I think that many of us have a screen protector, case (or combination of the two), or some type of body shield. So yes that factor will help sell a few phones but it is not enough to set it apart from the others.

In this day and age you have to have a device that meets or beats the others. Yeah the Mx8 surprised a lot of us but when people heard dual core that scared a way some people. And even with that being the case they still had a lot of hype when people thought it would be priced at nexus prices when that didnt happen the air was let out of the balloon. Say what you want about this specs war but right now that is what is selling. What if motorola released a droid ultra maxx like device to all 4 carriers with 5 and 5.5 inch screens, 1080p, 13mp camera that was on par with the s4 and Htc one, Quad core with its MX8 tech (guess it would be more like mx32), use moto maker, and released to multiple carriers around mid summer. The phone would have that glamor factor that would bring hype and bring the numbers.

Samsung continues to push the limits of tech every time they release a phone, HTC is recovering but are beginning to release phones on par to compete, LG is basically mirroring Samsung devices, while motorola continues to push devices late in they year that would have been revolutionary the year before. Yes I am being hard on Motorola and it is because every year I am seeing them doing the same thing and some how expecting a different result. Some one needs to wake up in Motorola land. Be great or be gone has to be the mindset.

r1nstang

Reaction score
Buy the Moto X...no fancy/power draining skins ontop of the already beautiful Android Jelly Bean OS. No spending a small fortune for a developers edition. No having to buy overpriced plastic ugly colored cases for your phone. Pick up a Moto X. Have it customized to your color choice. Want Pure Vanilla Android you got it. You want an unlocked bootloader..you got it (depending on your carrier). You dont need the useless bells and whistles of the phone knowing when your looking at it. You dont need to glide your hand over the phone to change screens. This is America we do love technology but we also love to feel that technology. Slide your thumb over the beautiful glass screen of the Moto X. Enjoy the way it responds instantly to your touch. Hear the crisp clear sounds coming out of the speakers. The amazing call quality that you can only get from Motorola. See the amazingly luminecent and colorful screen. Made from the highest quality, the nicest materials and so many options to make it your own. And all built for you right here...In the good Ol U.S. Of A.

OP
pc747

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Buy the Moto X...no fancy/power draining skins ontop of the already beautiful Android Jelly Bean OS. No spending a small fortune for a developers edition. No having to buy overpriced plastic ugly colored cases for your phone. Pick up a Moto X. Have it customized to your color choice. Want Pure Vanilla Android you got it. You want an unlocked bootloader..you got it (depending on your carrier). You dont need the useless bells and whistles of the phone knowing when your looking at it. You dont need to glide your hand over the phone to change screens. This is America we do love technology but we also love to feel that technology. Slide your thumb over the beautiful glass screen of the Moto X. Enjoy the way it responds instantly to your touch. Hear the crisp clear sounds coming out of the speakers. The amazing call quality that you can only get from Motorola. See the amazingly luminecent and colorful screen. Made from the highest quality, the nicest materials and so many options to make it your own. And all built for you right here...In the good Ol U.S. Of A.

Good one...........

SpeJ3435

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
64GB White Nexus 6
I would have bought the Moto X hands down if it had the Maxx battery, an sd slot or maybe 32GB of memory (as I enjoy my nexus and not having to have my memory split up), and developer support. Pair that with the user experience that they have provided and you have created a near perfect phone for the masses. As I have said before, I enjoy a smaller screen and would enjoy a top tier phone with a 4.3" screen. A big battery doesn't make the phone thick; the Droid Ultra Maxx is thinner than the Ultra Mini, anyways who really cares if the phone is 3/8" thick compared to 1/4".

The Moto X has the form factor of an amazing device. In my opinion, the Moto X is one of the most beautiful phones ever built with its smooth lines, on screen nav keys, and ergonomic shape. Motorola needs to push the sexy factor of the phone, but to a greater extent push how you don't need the most cutting edge tech to have the best phone. What I laugh at is how people with the Note 2, for example, are usually saying, "this is the best phone ever, but I can't wait to replace it with the Note 3." This to me shows that the current model isn't making you as happy as you would like. Motorola needs to show that the Moto X might not have the best specs, but doesn't require them to be the best. Motorola needs to show how fluid Jelly Bean runs on it as well has how the few, but great, software advances they have made will push phone interaction to a new level, while in my experience with S4 users, all of them have turned off the new "amazing" features of the S4 such as the eye tracking. The same thing goes with Siri from Apple, everybody was saying Siri was revolutionary, but a year later rarely does anybody use it.

In real world use, you wont see a huge difference the performance of the Moto X compared to the S4, HTC One, ect. Comparing the Moto X to the top tier phones is like saying the Lamborghini Aventador is faster than a Corvette ZR1, which may be true on paper, but in real life the ZR1 can do everything the Lambo can do in. They are all great devices however, I agree that Motorola needs to lower the price on the Moto X if they try to compete spec wise however, if they can show how specs don't drive the cost of the device, the user experience does, they will out sell "top tier" phones. People will pay more for a certain experience over specs, look at Apple iPhones. They haven't had the best specs or even 4G (until recently) for the longest time yet people still pay more initially and iPhones hold there value much longer than any android phone. Just look at the prices on Craigslist or Swappa for an android device vs an iPhone. Example from Swappa: iPhone 4s ($225-$410), Droid Razr ($110-$190). Both came out around the same time , but the iPhone is still going for twice the price that the Razr is going for.

A friend recently sent me this link to Droid-Life comparing the Moto X with the S4 and after he read it he said the S4 was the clear winner, but after reading it I noticed how the author spent more time talking about how the Moto X was a better phone than the other way around. User experience is what they need to sell. I recently broke my GNex and replaced it with another GNex (almost a 2 year old device) because I enjoy the user experience of a Nexus (a Verizon LTE Nexus) device over better quadrant scores or other specs.

jamjr74

Reaction score
Well I ordered the x tonight and my s4 is for sale so I guess I'm the minority. Why am I switching you ask?

1. Form factor -the s4 is a little to large for my taste and I love the size and design of the x.

2. Vanilla Android- this as close to a pure vanilla experience I have seen on Verizon since the nexus.

3. Vision- like the way googlerola is heading with not focusing on specs as much but real world performance. Specs only go so far and usually don't translate room everyday usage.

Don't get me wrong, the s4 is awesome and I may miss it. My only real issue with it is size.

Galaxy S4!!!

SquireSCA

Silver Member
Reaction score
Well I ordered the x tonight and my s4 is for sale so I guess I'm the minority. Why am I switching you ask?

1. Form factor -the s4 is a little to large for my taste and I love the size and design of the x.

2. Vanilla Android- this as close to a pure vanilla experience I have seen on Verizon since the nexus.

3. Vision- like the way googlerola is heading with not focusing on specs as much but real world performance. Specs only go so far and usually don't translate room everyday usage.

Don't get me wrong, the s4 is awesome and I may miss it. My only real issue with it is size.

Galaxy S4!!!

How much you selling the S4 for? PM me.

TheOldFart

Reaction score
No advertising will sell the Moto X to me at the price they are asking. The way to sell it is to lower the price of the 16GB X to $100, the same as the Mini and sell a 32GB model for $150. Even at the same price as the Mini, it is a win/lose for the X. The X has a bigger screen and less bloatware, while the Mini has Kevlar, wireless charging, etc.

OP
pc747

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Thanks. Forgot all about this contest. When does it end?

Sort of just open. If i or another staff member saw something that was so convincing it intrigued me or the general public to want to buy, especially now with the current phones on the horizon, then not only should that person win but Motorola may want to hire them.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Tapatalk 2

OP
pc747

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score
No advertising will sell the Moto X to me at the price they are asking. The way to sell it is to lower the price of the 16GB X to $100, the same as the Mini and sell a 32GB model for $150. Even at the same price as the Mini, it is a win/lose for the X. The X has a bigger screen and less bloatware, while the Mini has Kevlar, wireless charging, etc.

Are you referring to contract price or retail. Retail I'm game for 299 and 399. But contract price to be honest really doesn't matter since by next month it will probably drop to that price point any way.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Tapatalk 2

Garemlin

Developer Relations
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
LG G3 (VZW), Nexus 7 v2

Pricing on the X is way too high. I am trying one out now but doubt I will keep it. I do like it. Just can't constitute the price. When you look at it the X and Mini are pretty much the same exact phone. The X does have a bigger screen, but when you add the onscreen buttons of the X it pretty much makes it a 4.3". Mini is LCD and the X is AMOLED. But the Mini has a pixel density of 342ppi over the X which is 316ppi. I did a side by side comparison of both playing several HD videos [FONT=Titillium Web, sans-serif]simultaneously. IMO the Mini looked better. It was sharper and brighter. Other than that h[/FONT]ardware and software are the same. The Mini actually has a few more things in the software department that the X does not. If I decide to stay with the smaller form factor I may pick up a Mini. But if not I think I will either get the Ultra or wait a bit longer for a substantial price drop on the X. I do love the looks and feel of the X. Reminds me very much of the G'Nex and is a breath of fresh air from the looks and feel of the Droid line. Just wish the price was a little more competitive.